Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's pretty unseemly. Massa needs to move on. He must be hard up for money if he would go down this route.

But we don't even know if it's true or not so I'll reserve any Massa bashing for if it actually happens. Could be a totally made up story plug some of the 4 week gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Quite ironic when you look back on it. Alonso's win in Singapore helped Hamilton win the championship a year after they fell out with each other at McLaren.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To be fair, he has a 100 percent valid point when learning of the new evidence from Bernie that they knew at the time of the cheating and knowingly acted in a manner that defied the rules in order to protect the sport. This action in the end awarding the championship to the wrong man.

He would appear to have no chance of getting the championship standings changed but I think he would have a solid case against FOM and the FIA for 100s of millions in compensation if it's still possible to take such a case, this far removed.

Bernie wouldn't mind costing the current business owners a few hundred million either I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Such an odd thing for Massa to do.

I think he is mainly just after some sort of compensation though, no chance in hell the results will be changed. Could you imagine the carnage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah if you actually read the details of the new information that has come to light you can see why he'd be mad not to be looking at legal avenues. The FIA knew about the cheating and if they'd acted on it in the way they should have then he would have been the undisputed rightful champion, but they chose to cover it up instead. Massa and Ferrari had no opportunity to appeal at the time because they weren't even aware of it.

There's not a hope of it being overturned of course but he'd certainly be well within his rights to seek compensation for loss of earnings having been knowingly robbed of a championship that could have completely changed his career trajectory.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I was gutted for Massa losing the title in the last few corners of the season that year but if the FIA had of taken action at the time then isn’t it more likely they would have just excluded Renault and their drivers from both championships? Ferrari did more damage to his title hopes with the shambolic fuel hose incident that race. Will be interesting to see how far this goes but I’d be surprised if anything comes of it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Exactly this. There isn’t a hope in hell that the entire race would have been declared null and void because of the actions of one team.

Also, I love how people are taking Bernie Ecclestone on his word here. The man is a perennial bullsh*tter and it’s funny that he can throw a dead man under the bus just so he can get a bit of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Reading about it, even if the cheating was known about earlier, I don't think they have ever cancelled points for a race in this way before. They would likely just disqualify Renault as they did but the Singapore race results, minus Renault, would still stand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Rokit suing Williams for $150m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

They are saying Williams management - Claire Williams promised them a competitive car and they had anything but And their argument is that Williams made these claims knowing that they didn't have enough funds to compete fully and properly.

Surely their own due diligence would have to be the deciding factor in entering these deals and not the advertising bluster of a struggling team?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It was on this date 20 years ago that Jordan won their last Grand Prix. That 2003 Brazilian Grand Prix was a crazy race.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Bring back v10s did a great episode on that race:

(if you're not already listening to this podcast, you should. It's excellent)

Yeah it sounds silly. Normally the first thing that would spring to mind is 'define competitive'. But whatever your definition of competitive, that Williams ain't it.

2019 with Russell and Kubica, they just fell further and further off other 18 cars all race. They often got lapped more times than the rest of the field.

But Rokit can fcuk off. This sounds like corporate compo culture. You pays your money you takes your chance. If they overpaid, that's surely their problem. I doubt there was much of a bidding war to be Williams title sponsor. Although, I do remember people speculating that Kubica in the car would mean they'd get loads of additional sponsorship. Maybe they fleeced Rokit. Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Re:Williams V Rokit, who's liable if Rokit wins? Current owners Dorlinton or Frank's estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Rokit are morons if they think they can somehow make an F1 team 100% guarantee results. No team can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ya, the only way that would work would be performance related bonuses and that's not the case here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Between Rokit and Massa we'll be entertained until the racing begins again!

• Advertisement

I'd imagine buying a company brings all these associated risks with it.

I suspect that's the whole point. Headlines for F1 and even an old driver and sponsor, during what would otherwise be a very difficult 4 weeks to get any coverage at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

So F1 asked Massa to look into taking legal action against them and asked Rokit to sue Williams for breach of contract to keep F1 in the news because they didn't replace the Chinese GP?

You can make an argument for that if you want but its not what I said.

Paper never refused ink. I'll believe in those lawsuits when I see them, not when I see an article suggesting they could happen.

The journalist have their targets for articles for the year. I'd imagine they are under pressure to get articles and clicks during a 4 week break. They won't be held accountable if it turns out the stories are based on nothing more than pub-talk. You can't unclick on the article.

You may not have said it directly, but what when you begin a reply to this post;

"Between Rokit and Massa we'll be entertained until the racing begins again!"

with

"I suspect that's the whole point' it's hard to see what else you were trying to say

Yeah, well be entertained with stories until the racing begins again. The stories don't have to be true to be entertaining. I'd have thought that's obvious if you pay any attention to F1 journalism over the years.

How did you jump to the conclusion that F1 is conspiring with Massa and Rokit to make the stories happen? Journalists just need to report the stories. Nobody needs the stories to be true in the long term, they just need to entertain in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Super Formula is back on YouTube this weekend if anyone is missing some racing. There's a few familiar faces Liam Lawson, Kamui Kobayashi and Giuliano Alesi.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 661 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Re Massa if they have to roll back that result then so be it. If they knowingly covered stuff up then why not? Just because its a while ago doesn't change the fact.

It is an odd admission from Bernie. More to cause trouble than anything else I'm sure. If the rule books did state that the race should be deleted, Massa surely has a case. However as someone here said, the most likely scenario I would have thought would be that the cheating parties be excluded from the results.

Must have a look to see if sporting regs from 08 are up online.

• Advertisement

I'm not jumping to any conclusions. Here's the original post and your reply and to it certainly seems you're suggesting F1 orchestrated the headlines to keep the F1 name in the headlines, unless you mean the media outlets are trying to keep F1 in the headlines to bump up their numbers which would make more sense

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement