Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I saw reporters say that the investigation into the penalties and associated change to final order was already underway when Aston appealed, so it was going to happen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

With all the whinging Norris, Hamilton and the other drivers done during the race about track limits you wouldn't blame Aston Martin for doing the same

McLaren have changed their profile picture on twitter to a shiny looking version of the logo, and then tweeted this:

Looks like they might be doing a retro 00's livery for Silverstone, the chrome looking one...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

oh please be like a silver arrow, teasing Merc. Chrome on cars is quite heavy though!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭klose

That mclaren livery is beyond underwhelming, jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Saying Papaya orange doesn't suit McLaren is like saying yellow doesn't suit Jordan. It's 7up green or nothing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I like the Papaya. Better than looking like a cigarette box driving around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I will chime in here and say ALL the current liveries are underwhelming.

The sheer amount of raw carbon now to save weight just makes them look drab.

Just a shame McLaren haven't completely kicked the habit. Vuse is a nicotine vaping brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Some logical changes there with Japan and Baku shifting around.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Sure why don't they just up it every year lol. They can have 25 races in 2025, 26 in 2026 and so on up to 30 in 2030. There was talk of them having that many races anyway in a year. Maybe stop there otherwise it will just get super silly.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Arthur Pants
    Overlord

"The calendar was approved by the FIA World Motor Sport Council earlier today. F1 has not confirmed whether any sprint races will be held next year, or where they may take place."

They could try for 52 Saturday races, 52 Sunday races and 52 Friday sprint races.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,263 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Can't really blame them for maximising profits. It's just capitalism doing its thing. But I'd prefer if they chose quality over quantity.

No harm in trying out new tracks to see which ones make good races, but that's not what's happening here.

In fairness, the more races they have the less inclined people wil be to watch them all. In a good championship fight it would be class. If it's a dud year like this year, then it's easier to prioritise family time instead.

I don't really mind if they expand the calendar as much as they want. I'm free to wat h as much or as little as I want.

Mick Schumacher at Portimao. He was testing a 2021 McLaren MCL35 there.

Jenny Gow did a full interview with Hamilton ahead of Silverstone. Lewis would rot your shyte but it's Jenny's first interview since her stroke last year. Fair play to her. She's back.

Must have taken huge work to rehabilitate herself. Delighted for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Amazing comeback from her. She speaks perfectly again. I didn't think she would get back to that level again.

I'm sure she has ongoing issues but no doubt she is delighted to be back doing some part of her job again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Delighted for her. Hace been following her on Instagram and yes it has been a hard graft for her.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Arthur Pants
    Overlord

Max Verstappen currently has more points than the other teams after 9 races. In the possible but unlikely event that Verstappen finishes the season with more points than the other teams, should be be awarded both titles?

• Advertisement

The grid walk is a more of an ego trip for MB than any kind of useful info about the race. The little bits where he points out what's new on the cars is interesting. The rest is just Brundle demanding inane chat from drivers and celebs. The guff he asks them and the guarded, PR trained answers they give makes the whole thing completely pointless.

Maybe a casual fan tunes in and enjoys the celeb spotting, but I don’t enjoy it. The worst bit is when he gets upset when someone doesn't want to talk to him.

It would be fine if he stuck to talking through the grid and avoided the celeb spotting nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭Hijpo

In fairness he's probably told to interview the celebs by the lads in his ear. He doesn't seem to be too interested in what they have to say, he knows why they are there and its not for their interest in racing cars, I'm sure if he had a choice he would be avoiding them.

Championship Standings so far.

Two more races to go before the summer break. Hungary on the 23rd of July and Belgium on the 30th of July.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Makes for a sorry sight for Ferrari - 4th place and 24 points behind Fernando Alonso. 😁

Reckon there'll be any changes to driver line-ups at the summer break? You'd have to wonder about Nyck de Vries really, he's been so poor and no sense of progression. Logan Sargant has been steadily improving, so whole he's also on 0, they look very different.

In my fantasy land I'd get rid of Perez and Bottas too, Perez isn't handling the pressure or difficulty of the best car and somebody else should get a shot. And Bottas has checked out, he's looking like late stage Kimi now. Another waste of a seat. Obviously neither of these will happen..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

So Verstappen doesn't need to win anymore races, if he finishes P2 for the rest of season he'll still win the championship

Remember last year when Alonso shocked us all by leaving Alpine to go to Aston Martin? We all thought he was crazy.

The celebrity thing is really annoying, good race yesterday and the feed cuts to Shakira chatting to some random person indoors, honestly who gives a fcuk cause she clearly has no interest.

I assume they're going for the 'Merica style sports events like NBA which always have big name celebrities at the games, difference being they're actually sat watching the game/event and interested.

I remeber a year or two ago and some guy was there courtesy of mclaren I believe it, brundle asked him something with regards to the team/drivers and he replied something along the lines of only being there for Lewish Hamilton, hadn't an interest in the sport at all I though it was a really bad look.

• Advertisement

Well if Helmut Marko did in fact say De Vries has till the summer break to save his seat you can pretty much lock it in he has one foot out the door. Definitely deserved a shot in F1 with his career to date but looks like he just spent too much time on the sidelines since his F2 win, admittedly the Alpha Tauri package is sh!te.

I assume Bottas is on a fair wedge at Alfa and given his performances I would imagine they're not to keen to keep him beyond his current contract (if not do a ricciardo and pay him off) Again, the Alfa package is fairly sh!te, but they'd get more bang for their buck with Pourchaire in the seat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement