Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

RedBull need a Bottas, he got a lot of stick but he was consistent. He got 58 podiums in 4 years that's what RedBull need. I don't think RB are that worried about someone challenging max as the constructors is the main win for the team so once they'd have two drivers consistently on the podium probably be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Perez has been very poor in qualifying the last few races but that doesn't really tell the whole story. He's still second in the championship with 19 points to spare. He has two wins, two second places and a third. Red Bull don't really need him to do much more, bar start qualifying better. If he qualifies better then he should be back on the podiums regularly again. They don't need a driver that will try and challenge Max. They just need someone to be best of the rest.

Ricciardo on the other hand was poor for two years, bar Italy, and then got sacked, so it's a bit early to be talking about him taking Perez seat. Ricciardo could easily flop at Alpha Tauri as the car won't be any better than the McLaren. It could be considerably more difficult to drive. Time will tell whether he still has it or not. It's last chance saloon either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I would say George Russell could challenge Max in the same car too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ricciardo on the other hand was poor for two years, bar Italy, and then got sacked, so it's a bit early to be talking about him taking Perez seat. Ricciardo could easily flop at Alpha Tauri as the car won't be any better than the McLaren. It could be considerably more difficult to drive. Time will tell whether he still has it or not. It's last chance saloon either way.

I think it will suit him better. Just a little over a week till we find out anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭thefa

The unsexy choices that could challenge max consistently in the same car are probably Alonso and Hamilton who both are having good seasons on top of all the experience. Norris is great at getting the best out of the McClaren over the last few years and has great quali pace. LeClerc and Russell have great pace but probably a bit more error prone and I’d argue their stock has fallen a bit recently.

Impressed by Piastri so far. Looking like he has the potential to be one of the best rookies of the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,263 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Hamilton and Russell are pretty evenly matched. Hamilton is probably more consistent than Russell.

Hard to argue that Russell would challenge max without alos concluding Hamilton would do the same

Piastri had a terrible first part of the season. That's fair enough for a rookie but all you can really say is he's been good in the last few races.

The car was poor and has improved. But noris was the only one able to get a good result for most of the first half of the season.

Not to take from his good recent form. He's a rookie so he's on a good trajectory in the last few races, but that's as much as we can really say about him for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Saying Piastri had a terrible start to the season is very harsh, he hasn't been that far off Norris if you look through the results. Norris has more points but he's been finishing low in the points until he got the upgrades in Austria which Piastri didn't have but he got of the upgrades for Silverstone and had plenty of pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I think people criticizing rookies in general is very harsh. Rookies these days get so little time in the cars prior to the first race.

Piastri only had the pre-season test, and (from all of 10 seconds googling) it looks like he got 126 laps in.

By contrast to ye olden days, Hamilton did 1,011 laps in the 2007 McLaren before the opening weekend of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah it's completely different these days and rookies definitely need to be given time to acclimatise.

There is a distinction with de Vries though as he's actually a lot older and more experienced than his teammate, with plenty of seasons in other racing series behind him, and he's shown no signs of improvement as the season has gone on in the way Piastri has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

is logan sargeant goosed aswell? or as the only yank, is he untouchable?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I wouldn't have thought so. He's definitely not been brilliant, but looks to have a higher ceiling than de Vries did. The fact he's America helps too. Can easily see him getting a second year, but he'd have to start performing in year 2 alright...

It's not all about driving at Williams. They have had at least 1 pay driver at the team over the last few years. Russell brought a reduction in engine costs (not as much as you'd think as I recall) and they had kubica and Latifi as pay drivers too. I don't know what Sargent brings specifically but his status as American almost certainly brings American sponsorship.

Unless the Williams owners are willing to put in a lot of money, the second seat will go to one pay drive or another. Sargent might well get another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It's race week! Hungaroring coming up.

Really looking forward to the Hungarian GP to see if McLaren are really in the mix of the best of the rest the teams of Mercedes, Ferrari and Aston Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

All this hype for Danny Ric. If he starts to struggle out the gate in that slow AT car, it'll be a slippery slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yeah, I don’t expect miracles because the AT is poor, but he should be looking to beat Yuki in fairly short order. If he can consistently do that, he has an outside chance of the second seat at RB next year if Perez continues to underperform.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well it just shows how big a name he still is yet people were saying g he was finished.

He seems to have made the right choices after leaving mclaren. He was faced with a back marker drive or nothing.

He took the redbull reserve role and now within a few months is back on the grid (in a back marker) BUT is in the conversation relating to the 2nd seat at redbull.

Yeah fair point that he's in the conversation for the Red Bull deat. I doubt he had many choices to make though. Was he actually offered any drives for this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I have a strange feeling we're going to see Checo and Danny go hell for leather this weekend, should be fun to watch

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think Yuki is pretty quick so it wouldn't be a failure if he didn't beat Ricciardo the weekend.

He could have been in the Haas if he took a realistic salary.

Checo will be praying for a better run. Imagine if he had to start from the back for any reason and be dicing with Ricciardo. The click bait websites would be in overdrive.

Fair one. I wonder if his decisions were by necessity or design. I wonder of he turned down the Haas with low wages, hoping for a better seat. In the end he was offered a reserve seat with probably lower wages.

If he played the odds and it's given him this opportunity then fair play to him. Savvy.

According to

According to Guenther Steiner, he wanted '10 f u cking million'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

All he has to do with beat Tsunoda, high ask but from the sounds of his test at RB he was on the pace within 7 laps.

There is also the mentality of just being back in F1 again that he can take with him. I really would like to see him do well this time, he deserves it.

Ya i read that he did good time after just 7 laps.

Initially I had not been too impressed as anyone should be able to get a good lap out of it if allowed to do lap after lap after lap with no pressure but to immediately get it on the pace is excellent to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

---

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Silly season has started over who has breached the budget cap for 2022. Rumours of 3 teams. Domenicali is calling for sporting penalties instead of fines.

I think it's a bit rich calling for sporting penalties so late in the day when they set the precedent last year for Red Bull.

The penalties should be made clear before the season starts so everyone knows where they stand. Otherwise teams will chance there arm and can use the Red Bull penalty as reference in there defence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement