Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not sad to see Otmar gone tbh, never came across as a likeable chap. Alpine seem in a bit of a mess the last while too. I'd say Vassuer is safe enough this year and next.

In other news - tyre blanket ban that was supposed to be coming into force next year has been postponed pending further testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,263 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't really get they tyre blanket ban. I'd love to see them skid around on cold tyres for a few laps, but realistically, it just adds to the time loss for a pitstop and would mean more teams would try to save tyres to avoid a stop.

Good idea in principle but I doubt it would really make things better

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It is. I never expected Otmar to be given the axe. I wasn't surprised at Rossi's departure though.

If results don't improve from now on, I wouldn't be surprised if the team will be put up for sale, and with Michael Andretti wanting into F1, will buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Binotto to Alpine......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Hijpo

A Permane-nt fixture by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Alpine are not making the gains expected.

I never can work out whether Otmar is great at what he does or is a buffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Otmar did an incredible job at Force India, regularly punching above their weight on a shoestring budget, for a good decade they consistently gave the most bang for buck on the grid under his leadership.

Alpine were nowhere before he joined and they're no worse now. I thought the loss of Rossi would be an opportunity for the team to solidify without interference but instead it looks like they've seen the few years at Ferrari and thought to themselves "that looks like something we should try to replicate"

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭thefa

The way things played out while losing Alonso and Piastri was a bit of a **** show and didn’t reflect well on Otmar. Probably under pressure from the get go this season for results but behind McClaren and Aston Martin who they beat last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭klose

Has a car ever went from dog sh!t Q3 eliminations to challenging for pole positions in a season? Hell of an upgrade package Mclaren brought a few races back.

Aston Martin have really been overtaken in the development race. It must be a concern for the team because its not the first time they had the second best car at the start of the season but fell back the order into the midfield.

The pink Mercedes was second best and ended up solidly midfield. The difference this time is that they actually designed the original car themselves, so it shows progress but they need to address the development side of their game.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

has to be something wrong with Perezs car... mercedes and 2 ferraris just passed him......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

You could see a bit of debris fly off the car when Hamilton made contact. I guess the floor was damaged enough to see him tumble down the field.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Yeah, no joy with the VPN and F1TV today so had a look in the Now TV Codes thread in Bargain Alerts (https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120881604/#Comment_120881604) and got three months of Sports for 30 euro so not too bad. You'd miss the onboards and being able to rewind/replay but it's better than nothing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

You mean with the vpn turned on it didn’t give you the option to sign up for F1TV Pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's very impressive and it looks to be consistently up there too.

I don't remember a bigger turn around within a few races and I've been watching since 1994.

The mclaren of 2011 I think.... the one with the U shaped side pod was brutal early on and turned into a winner.

Third place finish for Gasly today will be a good boost for the Alpine team, a team going through turmoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Hamilton interview is hilarious. "I was alongside him, Perez ran wide so we just came together"

Penalty is totally correct. If Hamilton cant make the corner without using the car outside as a brake then he is at fault. I don't get the racing incident talk.

Piastri comes across as a very likeable individual. Really hope McLaren continue to give him a car to be competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

I'm already signed up to Pro monthly, I had to vpn to Netherlands to sign up, and then I'd connect to Chicago to watch live or replay. But now when I do the same thing I've been doing for the last year I can only see what I would be able to see without the vpn anyway.

No VPN, with an Irish IP address. I can only see the 10 minute highlight version of Qualifying, 7 minute race highlights and race in 30 minutes rather than full highlights. And nothing live, not even the preshow or postshow. Knock on the vpn and I can only see the same things. To see a full race I have to go back to 2022 season like they say in the schedule and avalability here https://www.formula1.com/en/toolbar/content_schedule.html

Using F1Tv multiviewer as well to get a link to something live comes up with content not available in your region, or on a replay that you have to wait until the current season ends to watch this content. It's basically knocked me back to F1 TV Access which is the only thing we can get here anyway. Ah well, it is what it is.

• Advertisement

Bit of a break now before Max’s next win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Big summer break coming up - expecting a lot of upgrades from various teams.

Unless there’s a serious upgrade from Mercedes/McLaren/Ferrari, I can see RB going up full season. Max is the best driver by a distance and the cars have fairly high reliability - we’ve had very few safety cars this year so there hasn’t been much for Max go do apart from getting in front and managing his tires.

I wonder will we get any shock driver switches over the summer break.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jacksie T Malone

There is a 2 week shutdown in that 4 week period, so this should be no different than a standard 2 week break between races.

Arent the factories shut for this break though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Sorry yes they’re shut for 2 weeks, so then Red Bull for the rest of the year it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So what they go analyse all what happened this weekend and maybe visit the factories for a bit for the next week then have two weeks off then back a week before the next race is that it?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yeah pretty much, I think. They have rules saying the can't work but I presume it would be hard to stop them working offline at home. But you'd think most of them would be glad of the break. Family holidays and whatever else probably means they wouldn't have much time for work anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I can imagine Adrain Nerey or Christian horner and some others too still doing drawings or on the computer coming up with strategy or whatever while on holiday a bit like Mountgomery Scott or Myles O' Brian lol. Probably get it hard to rest.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement