Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Fair play. They have 2 decent drivers so I'd say they're all happy. Hopefully Mercedes can catch up with RB next season. The Mercedes lads are pretty evenly matched so 3 way championship battle should be class. It could get extra spicy with 2 teammates involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Mercedes, Ferrari and McLaren the 3 teams with great drivers in both seats. The other teams can't really say the same.

That flatters Piastri a bit but i suspect that by this time next year he'll have proved you right. He's done really well for a rookie. Great trajectory.

Sainz is a bit accident prone too.

On the whole though, I completely agree. They have the best driver lineups by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

If you have an hour, this is a brilliant and candid chat with Alonso.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

True but Redbull really could have anyone they wished in car no 2 so you can't really say they have issues with driver line up.

• Advertisement

That and Perez actually has more wins than Leclerc. Not that he is a better driver than Charles, but he does a good job for Red Bull and has gotten the wins that Max hasn't this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Perez also about to enter the top 10 for all time race starts and will be 9th on that list before the season ends. That doesn't happen because you are average.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

To be fair there is only 121 points and 7 podiums between them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

What did I miss here chaps? I don't watch Netflix at all these days. Toto spilling the beans before he's supposed to?

@PsychoPete - that new F2 car looks great actually! Reading the article on the-race sounds like they're making changes to how it drives to make it a little bit more accessible for female drivers to handle it, that's no bad thing I guess. So Stroll is ever so slightly closer to Alonso than Sergio is to Max - both second drivers are having a sub-par season when you look at the car they have - Stroll more so imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

Cameras just happen to be there and all these deals are told out the back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

He's done really well for a rookie. Great trajectory.

Oh ye great job he is doing. He crashed and forced Daniel Ricciardo to crash and break a bone in his hand because of it. I hope he and McClaren apologised to Daniel and I also hope they compensate Daniel for the races he is missing out on.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Sure. He's a rookie and is still making rookie mistakes in his rookie season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

@Andrew76 The car does look pretty good. I've no problem making the cars more accessible for women once it doesn't tamper the cars. The rear wing has some similarities to the wing on the super formula cars. We all know Strolls seat isn't under any kind of threat but saying isn't a big gap in performance is being very generous. Aston should be well clear of Merc giving how good the car was at the start of the season

Ehhh, he didn't force anyone to crash, that is a seriously dumb thing to say. Ricciardo crashed on his own accord.

You might want to lay off the lemons in your diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ye your right. Daniel should have just drove right through him lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I see you are able to use logic here, very mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not a great week for Mercedes PR wise, first Hamiltons spat about Maxs team mate and then Toto fobbing off Maxs 10 in a row wins as only soemthing that will be on Wikipedia that it's not important and again pointing that they had two drivers fighting at the front, so salty and a bad look.

If Aston didn't have waste of space racing with Alonso Mercedes could well have finished behind a customer team this year, that would have been sweat.

BBC Chequered Flag reporting that Sainz's 14 laps in the lead are the most by any non Red Bull driver this year. The season is a bit knackered. Ive lost interest this year. I catch up on the results but I don't make sure to listen to quali or the race on the F1 app anymore. Hope next season is more competitive. Drive To Survive will need to do some serious creative story writing to make this season sound good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s been a boring enough season in terms of the championship, RB and Max have been utterly dominant and it’s really difficult to see anyone matching him over the next couple of seasons - I think that RB would have to get an update wrong as well as another team getting something right for it to be more competitive.

What I have found surprising is how high the reliability of the cars and drivers is this year. We get very few safety cars to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, which makes it easier again for RB to pick up race wins.

Still think there’s been a few interesting things this year, Piastri looks immediately at home, Astons rise and fall, Alpine being all over the place, DeVries short career and Danny Rics short return! But in general it does feel like one of those Mercedes seasons from a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Which F1 podcasts are people listening to these days?

I used to like racingnews365 but they haven’t released one in a while. I listen to the race regularly with but it’s fairly bland in terms of their content.

Also I’m thinking of heading to Monza next year, anyone with experience there? Recommend it? Probably fly into and stay in Milan and head out to the track each day by train seems to be the way to go?

Looks like a great event with all the Ferrari fans going bananas. Is it Well organised and easy to get to?

Depends what you're looking for.

The-Race is good for sober analysis and technical chat.

FF1S is good for f1 comedy chat.

The one woth Eddie Jordan and Coulthard sounds good but I can't stand EJ.

Missed Apex can be good info but I can't stand the host trying to crack jokes all the time. They also have the Aside with Joe Saward which can have good info.

Racingnews 365 was good alright.

Chequered Flag is handy for a 20 min overview of quali or a race if you missed it live.

Cheers yeah I tried missed apex back when I was looking for a podcast but had the same opinion as yourself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The Engine Breaking Podcast on YT is another I've started to listen to, seems decent enough.

I'm surprised Toto and Lewis are being so publicly bitter in relation to Max's and Redbulls latest records.

It's really not a good look for Mercedes

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Agree about Missed Apex, long time listener but you do have to ignore Spanners a lot of the time. The other panellists, apart from Philpott, seem likeable. Gone off Joe Saward a little lately, he has always been a bit of a crusty old curmudgeon but its almost caricature at this stage. A loy of his inside info tends to be totally wrong when you actually listen or remember back, seems he passes speculation off as fact. Matt Carter is an excellent guest though.

The Race is decent if looking for something a bit more serious and informative, but they do tend to take the fun out of things. I understand they need to keep producing content but some of the stuff they release mid weeks or in the off season really is flogging a dead horse, trying to drag a full podcast out of a throwaway comment from a driver or something.

Speaking of The Race, Bring Back V10s is by far my favourite, the amount of research, the nostalgia... Beyond The Grid is OK too, although Tom Clarkson clearly has to toe the line and the plamassing of guests is a bit much, not to mention referring to himself as TC... cringe.

EJs one with Coulthard seems a car crash, I don't know who told them it would be a good idea as they have nothing really to offer other than EJs ramblings about his celebrity friends, most of which sound made up anyway.

I completely agree about Missed Apex. Matt Carter is genuinely brilliant. Doesn't give a shyte and will tell you exactly what kind of shenanigans go on.

I actually agree about Joe. I said he had good info but it's actually very hit and miss. And I often think he just argues the opposite position to whatever Spanners says. I've heard them talk about Stroll over the years. If Spanners says Stroll is crap he'll disagree and say he's one of the top drivers in the whole world to even be in f1 and has matured into quite a decent racer. If Spanners says Stroll is decent, Joe says he's been in f1 for years now and hasn't proven himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You’d think they’d have a bit more tact considering their many years of media experience. It makes them look very sour and petty.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Yep. Funny enough Lewis highlighted all the amazing team mates including world champions he beat over the past decade only to conveniently leave out the teammate who beat him to a world championship.

It will be interesting if George will be instructed to follow Mercedes down this road or will he distance himself from it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement