Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living on a busy road with kids

• 23-11-2022 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

Just wondering does anyone have any experience of living on a busy but not a main road in Dublin?

Looking at a house on Marian Rd in Rathfarnham (towards Rosemount shops) which we love but a bus passes on the road right outside the driveway and with 2 young kids under 4 it is a concern. I know it's not a crazy busy road but just a worry due to the buses passing on both sides of the road.

Any opinions or local knowledge very welcome 🙂

Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,523 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Why concern about a bus in particular rather than a van, car, hearse?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jmcd84

Well, yes, all traffic a concern to be honest. I suppose a double decker is just a good catch all example 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,002 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is the property fenced? Does it have a back yard?

Are you in the habit of sending your kids to play in the traffic?

Are there parks and playgrounds nearby?

TBH, I'd be more worried about noctural ASB from pubs than about traffic.

Put gates on your driveway and teach your kids not to run out on the road?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nighttime22

Kids are gonna be kids and it only takes one silly incident i wouldn't buy a house near a busy main road, just to decrease the chance of anything happening and more comfort in general.

• Advertisement

It looks like a pretty typical road to me.

I think you're overthinking it. I'm sure plenty of families have been raised there without incident.

If you're worried, put in a gate and don't let the kids play out the front while they are small.

A quick google doesn't bring up any reports of accidents on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A straight stretch like that attracts speeding.. .. far far better to seem overly concerned than nonchalant complacency.. and no such thing as "overthinking" where safety of children is concerned... And where the choice of a permanent home is concerned..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Definitely overthinking it. There are hundreds of thousands of people in Ireland living on busier roads. Millions of people have grown up on busier roads. All of them wouldnt even notice now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i live on a much busier road than that, less than 200m from a pub, and anti-social behaviour is not really an issue. though the road being busy might be what keeps it down, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭FazyLucker

Yeah, overthinking this one big time OP.

Live on a major artery in to the city myself. Kids know not to open the gate until I am right behind them and I go out first. They learn quickly.

But I'd expect them to learn to respect the road outside the house regardless of the business of the road. You could live in a cul de sac and a maniac speeding off to work in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,814 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The nearest pub to there is the Orchard, which wouldn't exactly be known for its anti-social clientele. It's also not even particularly near to that stretch of the road.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'd be more worried about the noise of traffic passing and the ability to easily drive in and out of your driveway. Living on a busy road is no great difficulty with kids, quiet cul de sacs and playing football on the road is a thing of the past with so many cars about. But living with the noise, dust, fumes and traffic is a pain and I wouldn't do it if I had my time over.

Been there and agree totally. Thankfully well away from that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Bus outside the door? Could be very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jmcd84

Thanks for all of the helpful comments, reinforced a lot of the concerns we had. We've decided not to persue the house further. Appreciate the replies 🤝

I hope that you soon find the true, safe home that you seek..

Advertisement