Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for extension

Options
  • 24-11-2022 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭

Hi we recently purchased a 3 bed semi with two extensions on the back. One is fine the other is very poorly built. I've attached a picture of the external wall of said extension. We are wondering what our options are. We are thinking of taking out this wall as it's very shoddy and replacing it with an external stud wall or a brick wall whichever is cheaper and making the window much smaller.

The wall isn't block. And to the left of the window the next room is the other extension which is block. To the right is a block wall to next door garden. Has anybody any extremely rough ideas of how much this might cost? I realise it's probably hard to tell but I can give as much info as I can.

Thanks.

https://ibb.co/GJk5B6x

Comments

My initial thoughts on that extension is "kill it with fire..."

Timber frame properly constructed should be fine for a lifetime. To my uneducated eye, that wall looks weird, and I'm assuming the roof is fcuked as well considering the (wet??) insulation is coming down through the ceiling. Is that an RSJ going across the ceiling to the (block??) wall which has the door in it? And an extremely shallow pitch to the lean-to roof?

Am I understanding right that the wall to the right is the party wall of the gardens?

Timber frame with appropriate waterproofing, cladding etc would probably be the cheapest. A roof (other than a flat roof obviously) relies on a minimum pitch to function properly. (I can think of a similar shallow-pitched roof where the wind blows the rain up & into the attach space...I'm sure it seemed like a great idea at the time...)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I do like the edge-less "infinity window", quite the feature.

I guess that's a second-hand window with the extension made to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

The state of the extension would be comical only for the fact that we own it.

We took the ceilings off for re wiring that's just insulation we hadn't pulled down yet. It isn't wet. Yet.

Not an RSJ just a wooden beam from the external wall to the the original wall of the house. The window is cut off on the left as someone thought it a good idea to put a stud wall up against it. The frame of the window is about 5 inches further across to the left behind the wall.

I've honestly never seen anything built as bad. Would it be a huge job to replace that wall? 5k+? 10k+?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Just reposting the image. No idea how to embed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It's not just the wall then which needs to be replaced - it's the roof too if that beam is supporting it?

I dunno - I think you'd be replacing the lot. Probably near or about 20k depending on the roof design?

• Advertisement
Advertisement