Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best butcher's pork sausage in Dublin?

Options
  • 24-11-2022 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

As the title suggests, what butchers in Dublin do the good people of B.ie reckon sells the best pork sausage - two of the best butchers in Dublin, the Village Butcher in Ranelagh and FXB's do an OK sausage but I'm not blown away. There must be some hidden gems.

Two places outside of Dublin do a great one for example - Derek Dunne's in Wicklow town is one, Herterichs Butchers in Longford worth a mention too

So where in Dublin is king?

Just to be specific what I am wondering about is

• Standard "Irish pork breakfast sausage" made in-house by a craft butcher, none of these "notions" sausages with bits of apple in them etc
    • Not something made in a factory, sold in a supermarket etc

Would be interested to hear what people think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

It’s a good question.

I have problems passing a butchers advertising ‘Award-winning sausages’ without buying some but tbh, I’ve never been blown away by any of them. Would love to hear recommendations for Dublin butchers please.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

The butchers nowadays have to keep prices competitive as a result, very hard to get quality sausages, you will be lucky if you have 80% pork, most are below 50% and the rest are Soy filler, Flavour Enhancer: Monosodium Glutamate; Dextrose, Preservative: Sodium Metabisulphite; Antioxidant: Sodium Ascorbate.

Bloody brilliant sausage rolls in Kate McCormacks butcher in Westport and also great value.

Yes it’s not Dublin - but point to be made is, sometimes it’s not just about the sausage it’s also about the recipe or pastry or whatever- the above sausage rolls are unctuous packed full of delicious quality meat wrapped in a superb pastry- all together a wonderful experience

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Chances are the best sausages being sold in Dublin are being made down the country somewhere. I buy my sausages in from the English market in cork. (I’m a Dublin butcher myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think Tesco finest sausages give any butcher's sausages I've tasted a serious run for their money.

• Advertisement

BTW- we don’t have the type of free roaming pork on the scale that they have in the UK- we’re way behind UK in terms of quality pork meats

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Way behind.

And the difference is huge!

I'm lucky to have a local butcher who supplies free-range pork. Doesn't make fresh sausages from it, though - just saucission.

I'll happily buy beef or lamb from the supermarket but once you taste good pork, there's no going back to supermarket pork - you may as well eat tofu.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Well I’ve been in the UK umpteen times and can’t recall EVER getting a decent sausage there.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DaSchmo

Thanks folks for the replies so far

An update - I sort of broke my own rules here but the end result was good.

Some might remember a cafe called Gerry's on Montague St in D2. Quite often found at the top of similar polls / threads for "best fry up breakfast in Dublin". Sadly it shut a year or two ago and Gerry the proprietor passed away, he will be spoken of as a legend for many years to come

Anyway shortly after they closed I facebook messaged them asking where they got their sausages - the reply was Kelly's in Clondalkin but they don't sell to retail.

Anyway this morning I rang Kelly's and mentioned Gerry's cafe and they immediately remembered. I asked them did they sell to any butchers around town and they do, the closest one to the city centre being Darren Lee's butchers in Drimnagh.

Off I went today to Drimnagh and got a pound of them - for a very reasonable price too I'll add. Top notch, fresh, meaty, quite peppery but not in an overpowering way. Best "butcher's" sausage in Dublin? I don't know but they're pretty damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Everyone knows Superquin sausages are top tier and look down on everything else pffft!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

FXBs

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭SimpleDimple

I always thought there was way too much grizzle in SQ sausages. I’d put them at the very low end of quality

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I called in here today as I was nearby, and got a few bangers, ordinary ones and leek ones (yum!).... but the "ordinary" ones were labelled "Kearns sausages " - did i get done, or were there other ones i just didn't see??

Anyway, fierce nice fella in the shop, and lots of tasty looking grub for sale, so I'd say I'll be callingagain!

So they seem to have two types of breakfast sausages - I didn't see the other one but they were also labeled so could have been Kearns sausages - the ones I bought which I recommend you try (the ones that used to be in the fry ups in Gerry's cafe) are the "Kellys" sausages and are labled as "Kellys" in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The Brown Pig in Terenure (and more recently in Kimmage) does excellent sausages. All their pork is free range so they're pricier than you might be used to paying for a humble breakfast sausage, but worth it if sausages are your thing, imo. I've pretty much given up eating pork because of the appalling way pigs are reared here.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mcdonut

The Whole Hogg sausages from Slane but available every Saturday from the Honest2Goodness market in Glasnevin. Best sausages in Dublin in my opinion.

https://www.thewholehoggs.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

The recipe definitely changed somewhere along the way, I worked with a butcher who used to make them in the late 90s and we both agreed they’re not the same sausage.

Yeah 100% agreed on SQ. Back in the old days of Superquinn you used to see them making the sausages fresh behind the butchers counter in my loca shop. What comes out of some factory and is sold as SQ sausages these days is not as good. I'd take a proper butcher's sausage any day over that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Norbertollio

I have to say thanks to you for this find, I googled 'best sausages in Dublin' and this thread came up and I went and got some and they were the best I've tasted in years, absolutely Top Notch, the way they used to taste, and very friendly service too plus a great selection of meats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Mech1

What shop are you talking about? It's not clear from your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Norbertollio

Sorry, the OP recommended Darren Lee's butchers in Drimnagh, that's the one.

Advertisement