Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FlyAtlantic

Options
  • 25-11-2022 6:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

Talk about a new Belfast based airline operating to the USA, FlyAtlantic will start in 2024 with either Boeing or Airbus aircraft. Strange to hit such a niche market, i would have thought that if there was a demonstrated market, EI would have started these routes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I flew quite a few times between JFK and BFS on Aer Lingus. The flight stopped at SNN and most of the passengers got off. Very little demand to BFS. Maybe things have changed in the 20 years since, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

This is going to be the longest thread ever for an airline that'll never fly! No operators cert, no planes, no details of funding. Looks to be just some fella that has had short-lived positions in various operators attempting to fly a flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

How come it's always 1,000 jobs they create? UP to 1,000 would be more correct. That covers 0 (which is the most likely case here) all the way to the dizzying heights of 1,000 which is some ratio of fleet to employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

You know who we need on this thread for a point of view. Unfortuantely he's banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

EI has the benefit of economy of scale, so if there was a market, they can drop prices to take that market. So I don’t see these guys being able to produce the required market assessment to gain the AOC.

Also , and again I’m no expert, but to feed planes flying across the Atlantic, they need incoming flights from continental Europe, something I believe there is a lack of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

In a hub operation yes you’d need traffic fed from other destinations, this is what EI’s model is. This however appears to be a point to point operation, which relies heavily on local traffic, of which Belfast and its surrounding areas have very little. IMO this venture is doomed to fail but time will tell.

Sorry, I read the item above as meaning they r going to use Belfast as a link between Europe & the USA as a hub.

Surely, there isn’t enough local traffic to operate a fleet across the Atlantic. We already have Irish, Ethiopian, American, Canadian & Icelandic vying for that traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Even if they ever get off the ground IAG will squash them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sounds mega ambitious. from an operations and logistical standpoint….There are no planned expansion works that I can find for BFS. Either on their website or Wikipedia. To operate these services and being mindful that Ryanair are also returning to base aircraft there from next summer….not doable I’d say..

an odd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

are ETHIOPIAN allowed traffic rights from Irleand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

No, and it's doubtful that they would be granted rights to somewhere already served. Their flights through Dublin are westbound and are tech-stops only.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

They got fifth freedom on DUB-LAX-DUB because at the time nobody else was serving it. Once EI relaunched the agreement wasn't going to be renewed. If they applied for a route not currently served from DUB they might get fifth freedom on that.

Advertisement