Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body and soul 2023 (initial line up announced)

Options
  • 25-11-2022 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Initial line up is out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭RINO87

Moderat.....ooooohhhhh that's tempting!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hopefully they won't have the same sound problems Modeselektor had in 2019 B&S, but that's a nice announcement, they always put on a good show.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Hmmm...very underwhelming for me.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Feck it, ticket bought! Raging I didn't go see them in Berlin last summer, so not missing again. Have seen them twice Vicar st, and at the picnic in 2009 or 10 I think, there were less than 200 in the tent at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Shanti Celeste is well worth catching.

• Advertisement

I think this was the last time they played Ireland in 2017 at Forbidden Fruit. The tent was absolutely packed out and it was hot in there.

I know this get mentioned every year for B&S but I think it would be brilliant if the festival could procure Bjork, maybe with a scaled down set for the main stage, get her to curate one of the nights like Karin Dreijer did on the Friday of the 2018 edition. Of course, Fanirish will come along and crush my dream in seconds, but I think she would fit the festival although probably not affordable considering she's played EP twice now.

More added.

Well BTP blows this out of the water but my loyalties lie with B&S so here's my picks from this line up.

Moderat, Berth Orton, Haai, Junior Brother, Kurt Vile & the Violators, Kormac, PSB, Thumper, Tinariwen, Weval, Ye Vagabonds and I'm sure others will be added and some discoveries too.

Nice to see Kurt Vile added, thought he would be higher up the bill to be honest...overall tho still a little underwhelming. I think I've seen just about every name on that list at festivals in Ireland before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

It’s not great and especially comparing to beyond the pale. Going to body and soul this year instead of ep and thinking we should have gone to BTP

I'd be curious about the Fabio & Grooverider thing, be a nice change to hear some DnB in Ballinlough. Could be a bit cheesy though!

Saw Kurt Vile at B&S about 10 years ago, he was ok. Caught him in Vicar St a few years back and it was one of the most boring gigs i've ever been at in my life, apart from 2 or 3 songs in the middle of the gig. Vowed 'never again'.

Beth Orton, Gwenno, Thumper, Tinariwen. At a push PSB, Kokoroko and Murder Capital. Not the most exciting of music really.

But again the majority of them acts are Irish and I can see them in Dublin for circa 20 notes possibly twice a year.

And I have seen Haai and Moderat I dunno how many times in the last 5 years.

Body and Soul is like a punch drunk over the hill boxer that should have retired many moons ago.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I mean Beth Orton, Kurt Vile, Gwenno and Public Service Broadcasting are exactly the type of acts that they should be signing. Plenty of quality in there. More appealing to me this year than the last number of editions.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

Lots of properly interesting acts on this lineup in a beautiful location and setup. Super excited about Moderat, Tinariwen, Public Service Broadcasting, Beth Orton and Kurt Vile and there's lots of excellent Irish acts that will be great to see on the festival stage. Good to see a properly thought through, well curated selection from Body and Soul.

That other festival has plenty of great acts I'd like to see too but this wins hands down for me. Just a shame BTP decided to go head to head.

Of course it's not all about the acts and I doubt, going by last year's slightly shambolic setup, that BTP will ever be able to match the magic of the woodlands and the walled gardens in Ballinlough.

Hennessey Stage announced:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Norasheen

Alison Goldfrapp!

Poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

Alison Goldfrapp and now Fever Ray too... This is shaping up into something really special. Fever Ray is something else live...

Poster for Fever Ray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

The blaze added as another headliner

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Granite Head

Started slow but B&S is shaping up to be a lovely festival.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

The Blaze, wow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ah man, I'm so jealous. Would love to see Fever Ray again. Guessing that means no other Irish gig for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

This is starting to look really interesting. Nice core of stuff I'd already be interested in, PBS, Gwenno, Murder Capital, Kurt Vile, Junior Brother, Beth Orton etc. but also, for a primarily guitar kind of guy, there are some intriguing acts just over the Electronica border that I'd be interested in having a look at, Fever Ray, Alison Goldfrapp, the Blaze surely amongst the most interesting acts that have been dropped on the long suffering Irish public in 2023. Plus I've never been, site, vibe, crowd sound cool. We'll wait to see what ATN and EP come up with but this is certainly a runner now. Glad to see it back in the conversation. Fair play.

The Blaze are dreadful. Their set at B&S a few years back was one of the worst i've ever endured.

Ha! Fair play Dreamweapon!

Sarcasm, surely? That was one of the best gigs I've been to, ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭dav09

Body and Soul is really heating up now, looking forward to seeing what else is left to be announced, trying to chose between BTP and B&S still like a few people, have been 4 previous times so leaning this way now again particularly with the lineup additions, B&S was great last year and always an amazing overall experience.

Advertisement