Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couple insurance, one car

• 25-11-2022 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

My partner decided to sell his car and now we are equally using my car. It was a big luxury having two cars, as we live near Dublin city centre.

To my huge disappointment, my understanding is that joint couple policies don't exist in Ireland. Is this true???!

Named driver insurance has limitations which are not ideal. My partner will lose his NCB after two years and he won't have cover to drive other cars, even in an absolute emergency, if that did arise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

Generally, married couples would alternate taking out their own policy each year on the same car in order to maintain a NCB. That is, alternating being a named driver from year to year (with the associated disadvantages). It might not be necessary to be married, but worth checking. I haven’t heard of a better way to maintain your NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Okay cool. That crossed my mind alright but wasn't sure if it was 'allowed' as such. We'll definitely consider it. Thanks for getting back

• Registered Users Posts: 37 osiri

Yeah, this is what me and the missus do to keep the no claims bonus in case it is ever needed again. I think there might be some issue with being the policy holder on a car you don't own unless your wife or husband owns it. So if you're not married it might be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Does ownership not need to be changed as well, if they aren't married?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

That would need to be checked, as married couples have an insurable interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Thanks I'll check this out.

We're getting married in April in any case!! What's mine is his then 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I know lots who just flip their insurance every year between them.

It would save the insurance companies lots of work if they just hade a joint or family policy. But they are too stupid/greedy/lazy to do that.

Advertisement