Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it unsafe to send a stranger money?

• 25-11-2022 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Excuse the title if it seems stupid but I was wondering. My friend and I were discussing this. A while back when I turned 18, I was desperate for cash around Christmas and joined a Cyberbegging page on Facebook. To my surprise, a few people donated around €40 through PayPal for some extra food and presents.

My friend said those people were stupid to send me money as they didn't know me but I told him that even if I had malicious intentions, I couldn't have done anything. I was always under the impression that having a persons bank details (Name, IBAN, BIC) is not enough to take money from their account. Same thing with a paypal address.

Someone did say that a direct debit could be set up but that's easily reversed. Are people too paranoid when it comes to this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I was always under the impression that having a persons bank details (Name, IBAN, BIC) is not enough to take money from their account.

That is correct. In fact, if you give someone a personal cheque, all your account details are printed at the bottom and the IBAN can be generated from that data.

Someone did say that a direct debit could be set up but that's easily reversed.

Also correct. Jeremy Clarkson once published his IBAN number in a national newspaper and a prankster signed him up to a DD in favour of a national charity. When it was discovered, his money was refunded.

Are people too paranoid when it comes to this?

Yes

Advertisement