Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable generator recommendations?

Options
  • 25-11-2022 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am considering getting a PORTABLE generator.

The background to this: I am in a housing estate so the probability of an extended blackout is low. But as I work from home and also home heating depends on electricity, I'd like to be extra safe. Portable generators have a worse price/power ratio compared to stationary generators, but this approach lets me skip the professional installation, and also can prove useful if out camping etc.

My IDEAL power rating is 3000 VA (as this lets me run the washing machine), but I understand this rating might not be reachable with a portable generator; 1 kW continuous output is the absolute minimum. The budget is up to a grand, give or take, but less is better. I'd like to have it weigh no more than 25 kg so I can store it in the attic. An IP rating would be appreciated, so the generator can be used outside in the rain. And I'd like to have a meaningful warranty please, so probably no ordering from abroad including Britain.

Recommend a make/model/shop please?

What I could quickly find:

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/impax-imdy1500lbi-1200w-inverter-generator-230v/15761 Screwfix is very convenient and the price is very nice, the power is nice for the price, and the IP rating is listed but sadly appears to be firmly out of stock?

https://ige.ie/hyundai-2000w-portable-petrol-inverter-generator-hy2000si power output and price look fair, I'm guessing even the washing machine (rated 2500 W) should actually run, but is this supplier reliable? Does the generator have an IP rating? Also speaking of washing machines: does this model have overload protection, in case I'm too optimistic?

Post edited by MichaelR on

Advertisement