Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Part Time Job - Full Time Flexibility

• 26-11-2022 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Like many of us, we're starting to feel the pinch of the rising costs in our household. My job allows for a certain degree of flexibility, so I've started applying for part time jobs. In doing so, I've noticed the vast majority of them want you to be available to work and be fully flexible over the entire week. Now, my current job does have some amount of flexibility, but not that much!

Who on earth are able to work jobs like this, and still survive? How on earth on the employers thinking this is a viable way to live. I've only come across one or two which would be suitable for working as a second job, but the rest are essentially "we're only going to pay you for the hours you work which are not going to be enough to live on, but you can't work anywhere else because we need to be free for whenever we rota you in which shall be random, unpredictable, and changes every week".

I know places are crying out for staff, and as a bit of a grafter of a guy, I'd work pretty much anything I could, but I'm not blooming surprised they can't get staff. From way back when (showing my age), it used to be a case of being able to work 2 or even 3 jobs because you knew the score with each of them. Maybe I'm just looking in all the wrong places.

Has anyone else come across this? Is this how things just are now?

Advertisement