Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My brother stole 7 figures from me…can I do anything?

• 26-11-2022 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭

My brother and I came to Dublin in 2001 from abroad, when I was 23 and my brother 28.

Our father gave us down payment for a house and we bought our first house together then.

Shortly after my father died and my older brother just sort of became in charge of our financials, as was the custom for the older son to take over as father( where we are originally from) 

Our father was quiet wealthy and my inheritance at the time was over 7 figures.

Over the years my brother was in complete control of our finances both in our home country and in Ireland.

He kept selling our assets back home and bought it to Dublin and also from our business back home.

by 2009 we ended up having 3 houses in Dublin which I was 50/50 even splits with him.

The deeds of the two houses were only in his name and every time I would ask for the deed to be put in my name too he would make up some excuse…costs too much, or legally can’t, etc

but my name is on the mortgage on the third house.

Long story short, he forced me out completely in 2013 and denied I owned anything ever.

I tried taking him to court in 2014 and he denied I ever owned anything.

He responded through a solicitor that I was merely a tenant of his through the years and was never a partner.

I didn’t have the financial resources to continue it then and not a whole lot I could do.

But I have recently come to some evidence that he admits our partnership and I think it’s quite significant…I am wondering if there is a statue of limitations if I want to sue him and is it past the time I can sue him now?and if you think it’s possible for me to sue him for negligence over my inheritance or is there any other way for me to hold him legally responsible?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

See a solicitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,153 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

??? Can you not just produce your father's will and show you haven't received the money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭Deeec

Exactly if you were mentioned in your father's will you should have received your inheritance. You need to prove you didn't receive anything.

Who was the executor of your father's will?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Gholimoli

My fathers will was in another country and language and we only had the first house when he died and that’s not mentioned in the will.

the first house was under my father and my brothers name so when my father died he automatically got it.

he sold assets in my home country and brought the money to Ireland to buy the other houses after my father died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

See a solicitor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

A solicitor will be able to best advise you.

As regards the house that was purchased before your father died, much will turn on your ability to demonstrate that whilst your name may never have appeared on the property title, you were in fact a beneficial owner. Will you be in a position to rebuke your brothers suggestion that the house was in fact wholly his? If you were a party to a mortgage on the property this may well be helpful.

In terms of your inheritance, the will, and the appointed executor will be of great significance. Was probate obtained in this country? Or in your home country?

You may have issues in two jurisdictions which complicates the situation, but certainly gather whatever documents you have and seek the advice of a solicitor. Where are the bulk of the assets now? In Ireland? There are various effective remedy’s open to the courts in adjusting the ownership of assets where the need arises.

Advertisement