Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's time. New PC up €1300

Options
  • 26-11-2022 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭

Been putting it off but may as well see what's out there and with the sales hopefully get a deal or 2. I know GPU prices still aren't ideal but even an idea at this point as I still have trouble understanding some areas. My RX480 8GB is beginning to give up and I have an FX8320 (over 9 years old). Apart from the GPU, it's still going well.

While I play games, I'm not as sensitive to resolution/framerate as some. But smooth playing at 1080 or higher is good for me. I do emulate as well. Also will occasionally be playing VR games via PC to Quest 2.

1. What is your budget? 1000-1300

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming. Well outside of watching videos which I assume any modern card can handle.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? For now, I'll say yes.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Apart from the 2 SSD drives (Not M2) I don't think so. Maybe the Bitfenix Shinobi Mid Tower? PSU is only 450W. Both 10 years old so may as well replace them.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Not really

8. How can you pay? [Bank/Debit card]

9. When are you purchasing? Soon.

10. Do you need help building it? [No]

Thanks for any help offered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Jon Doe

What resolution are you planning on gaming? FHD, 4xHD or 4K? Can you hold on until after the 13th? GPU prices may drop depending on the 7900xt's review...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will probably wait til new year at this point rather than having parts get lost in the sales/Christmas post.

But have they dropped any after the 40xx release outside of the US?

PC is connected to a LG CX tv so I would be playing at the best quality I can for the price. And I know that depends on the game.

Post edited by CastorTroy on

Now that Christmas has been and gone, any advice on this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Any preference for CPU, Intel vs AMD, or the GPU, nvidia vs AMD?

Nope. Been AMD for a while now but since not carrying the CPU or GPU over, I'm easy.

Like I've said, I'm not the most knowledgeable with these things which is why I'm hoping for input from those more in the know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cornholio509

@CastorTroy Its kinda hard to say what to get at the moment . AMD v intel the difference is minor if not within margins of error when it comes to benchmarks when you are talking about the latest CPUs in your budget . On intels side you have to contend with it been a dead end socket . I.e no upgrade path but you have a choice in DDR4 or 5 . SO it can save on cost . On AMDs side you have the choice of the AM4 socket and no upgrade path to newer CPUs or the AM5 socket with the extra costs but newer tech and possible upgrade path for the next 3-4 years .

NOt to mention you also have GPU cost making it hard for anyone wanting to build a new PC harder .

ryzen 5 7600 6core 12 thread €260

B650 aorus elite €220

DDR5 kingston fury €149

Cordsair txm 750 watt psu €99

Radeon RX 6700 or rtx 3060 €400 +/- €50 dpending on where you can get them . no sign of lower end RADEON gpus yet amd didnt announce them .

NVME 1tb PCIE gen 4 in around €100 cost will vary dpending on manufacturer . and CPIE generation . In general you can get 1tb PCIE gen 4 at €100 or less .

NZXT H510 €100

price works out about €1329 total . This is the latest AMD socket . Now shop sround as this was a quick browse on casekings.de . You never know where you can get offers on PC parts .

Now with that said the if you dont care about a dead end socket you always have 13 gen I5 13600kf as an option . IT will cost 100 euro more for the CPU but you can same some cost on ram since you have the option of DDR4 and B760 motherboard . Or ryzen 5 5600x is cheaper with a B550 motherboard . 200 to 300 Euro cheaper for 5% less performance . THe extra cash then could go to a higher end CPU like the 5800X or X3D varian . Or alternatively you could put the extra cash towards a GPU like an rtx 3070 or radeon rx 6800 .

Post edited by cornholio509 on

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I see cornholio replied before I'd finished tweaking my suggestion. I'm going to say my instincts were to go higher on the gpu (mostly because of the VR but also presuming that's a 4K tv) so I didn't even bother trying to work out what a Ryzen 7600 (or Intel 13600K) system might look like. I guess given you sat on an FX machine but just upgraded the gpu maybe the 7600 and cheaper gpu is the way to go for you but it feels like a stretch to me with the cost of the board and ram.

By the time you account for the difference in VAT the below would be €1300 + shipping. Drop the cpu cooler and it's very close to €1300, also switching to CL18 ram would probably get it into €1300 delivered (snap for waiting to try and get a better price on the 5600X). Of course you can save €100ish dropping to an RX 6800 or €250ish dropping to a 6700xt either or which could also open up lots of case choices, 32GB ram, blazing fast SSD, more money in your wallet or RGB bling if it's your thing ;) You could also just drop the M.2 ssd and stick with what you have?

I stuck with the 5600X over the 5600 mostly because I'd be appalled if a B550 board came with a bios so old the 5600X didn't work but I wouldn't be shocked if it needed an update to support the 5600 and getting a board with bios flashback pretty much eats up the difference. Seeing as though you say "not really" to overclocking the 5600X also gets most of the benefit without you having to do anything. Amazon have the 5800X for maybe €30 more but as I'm already testing your budget and it's of extremely little benefit for gaming (and adds another shipping charge and removes the option of dropping the cpu cooler) I've left that out.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (€193.49 @ Computeruniverse)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 CPU Cooler (€43.08 @ Computeruniverse)

Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€115.53 @ Computeruniverse)

Memory: Kingston FURY Renegade 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (€62.79 @ Computeruniverse)

Storage: Kingston NV2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€65.49 @ Computeruniverse)

Video Card: Sapphire NITRO+ SE Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card (€706.99 @ Caseking)

Case: KOLINK Citadel Mesh MicroATX Mini Tower Case (€62.89 @ Caseking)

Power Supply: KOLINK ENCLAVE 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€77.89 @ Caseking)

@minitrue I know the system built around the ryzen 5 7600 can be got cheaper than what pc parts picker or case kings list . just got home from work and went on a twenty minnute shopping spree for my own buid and came across a B650M am5 socket board for 174 euro on computerverse.net . It wasnt listed on pc parts picker . I gues what i am saying is shopping arouind and not fixating on one site is the best way to go . ALso i forgot to mention that the 5600X does get bundles with a motherboard and ram . SO there are offers out there to be found .

On that not the 5600x comes with a wraith cooler . SO in the build you listed you dont need the bequeit one . THat wraith cooler is plenty for the 5600x unless you are intending on overclocking the snot out of it .

@cornholio509 Yep you can find bargains which I tried to at least imply by saying they could probably wait to find the 5600X at a better price. €174 for the board would still be an extra €60, another €75ish for the 7600 instead of 5600X (or more considering it was recently closer to €160) and €90 for the ram and that's €225 more, though presumably with 32GB instead of 16GB. That's about the difference between the 6800XT and 6700XT and if they feel now they want to go closer to the €1000 end of their range than the €1300 they'll struggle to even squeeze in an RX 6600 so I thought it was worth presenting the contrasting option.

I also did mention dumping the cooler was the easy way to get it into budget if it was a step too far. The wraith should be fine in terms of performance but enough people complain about the noise that I stuck it in there as the first thing to dump to get into budget or find more budget for a different case, more ram or screaming fast or bigger ssd.

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah this is the problem I find with trying to research all this myself. So many similar looking and sounding options.

Then the awareness that I could buy a part now only for prices to be cut in a couple of months, but sure that's always the way. Hasn't that been said about GPUs for the past while now? And the price drops seem to only be happening in the US.

As for budget, €1300 is flexible but I wouldn't be able to justify more than €1500. I wouldn't expect to have to upgrade for another long time after spending that, outside of replacing broken parts.

No interest in LEDs or anything like that.

As for VR, I was able to run Half Life Alyx on my current setup so wouldn't focus on that too much, especially since I only play VR occasionally these days.

• Advertisement

@CastorTroy

What myself and minitrue posted should get you going . No avoiding led crap unfortunately . if the mobo or cooler dont have it . the raam and gpu probably will . Just rememner there is certain things you give up with each of the systems . NEw AM5 chipset means GPU specs are going to be lower , Same cor the current gen intel . Last gen AM4 socket is cheaper but upgrade path is limited to that generation .

THough it may not seem it i think the system that minitrue posted with at least get you an rtx 3070 or the RX66800xt . Try gputracker.eu/en I find it a good resource . That said sometimes it doed post prices that have changed . SO far i find CASEKINGS.DE the best for GPU pricing . THat said so shop oround on different sites .

Post edited by cornholio509 on

Thanks. I'll use you advice to look around and post back.

For LEDs, I don't mind them, just mean I wouldn't go out of my way to get LED lit fans or transparent cases.

Was working off @minitrue's list with a couple possible changes:

The Nitro+ 6800 XT is now only available at €771 on computeruniverse(So about 790 with shipping?), which is the cheapest. Would it be worth going up to the 6900XT, which is €845 from an amazon.de seller?

Also can get the 5700X for about €25 more than the 5600X from amazon.de. Worth it?

Working out at €1500.46 in total with those changes

Powercolor Radeon RX6800XT Red Dragon 16.0 GB OC https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90824497 looks like the cheapest 6800xt on there now (€721 + shipping).

Caseking have a 6950xt for €833 delivered here: https://www.caseking.de/asus-radeon-rx-6950-xt-tuf-o8g-16384-mb-gddr6-gcas-523.html (about 18% faster at 4K than the 6800xt) or if you want to go even further a 7900xt https://www.caseking.de/sapphire-radeon-rx-7900-xt-gaming-20g-20480-mb-gddr6-gcsp-244.html but that's €968 delivered here so really throwing your budget out the window (ballpark 30% faster at 4K than the 6800xt).

The prices I'm looking at right now may as well grab the 5700X over the 5600X unless it's busting your budget (just don't forget the 5700X doesn't come with a cooler so you will have to have one).

I'd suggest you post what you are thinking about to let others chip in with any thoughts.

As for the CPU for the sake of €25 i wouldnt pass that up . More cores and higher boost clocks . THats a bargan . As for the GPU . the 6900xt is a 20% faster graphics for €50 more in your case . I have been looking around and most site now have the 6900xt at over a grand . so if your budget can handle it i would say go for it .

From caseking, I have

The 6900XT I mentioned is gone so I added the 6950XT. I'll pass on the 7900XT.

Then CPU 5700X for €213.32 on amazon.de.

Total would then be €1445.80.

I guess another 10 or so for thermal paste.

Though looking at the upgrades for GPU and CPU, would 600W be enough for the PSU?

Thanks again for the help

Post edited by CastorTroy on

The 5700X is still a 65W part and that 6950XT has 2 pci-e 8 pin power connectors so 400W max but more realistically the TBP of 335W, when you've no interest in overclocking and aren't running loads of crazy fans/pumps/ram/ssd etc a reasonable 600W PSU should be fine. pcpartpicker says your build now is 494W. If they had the 700W for €10 more I'd say go ahead but looks more like €100 for a Corsair 750W TX would be the sane step up.

I'd suggested the Citadel Mesh case which is €5 more, especially given you have jumped all the way up to the 6950xt I'd let it breathe.

I thought I'd mentioned that I'd just stuck in the Pure Rock 2 as a sane enough choice but expected someone to know something better to pick for the money but seems I didn't. If you have Prime from Amazon in the UK (or can find it elsewhere for similar money or if the delivery isn't too bad), it seems the Peerless Assassin SE is stupidly good value https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B8Z19XNM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgGaEZjb5Ls

You shouldn't need thermal paste but obviously handy to have it in case you end up remounting the cpu cooler for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/3TZhcb

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor (€198.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin King SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (€38.78 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS ELITE Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€127.89 @ Caseking)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€79.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Kingston NV2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€56.91 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Video Card: Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 6800 16 GB Video Card (€637.18) @ MemoryC

Case: RAIJINTEK Silenos ATX Mid Tower Case (€49.99) @ caseking

Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€114.40 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Case Fan: Corsair ML120 75 CFM 120 mm Fans 2-Pack (€23.73 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Custom: GPU @ MemoryC.ie

Total: €1327.77

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-08 01:14 CET+0100

MemoryC also have a 6800XT for 710EUR. 10% more money for 10% more performance.

600W PSU + 6950 XT is a recipe for disaster. Overbuy the PSU now.

Adding a cheap case with USB-C + 2 Corsair fans, although Arctic P12 PWM PST are good if you can find the 5-pack.

32Gb RAM is minimum for future-proofing the next 4 years.

@Castor Troy

On the power supply i would up that to a 750w minimum for the 6950xt . I would recommend a corshair or EVGA PSU . both can be got for between 100 and 120 euro . I think you can get a semi modular EVGA one for €86 again it all depends on offers . As for thermal past the cooler has pre applied paste so no need to buy any . That said its always handy to have a tube lying about so you can make your own judgement on that .

Now for K.O.kikis comment on ram . No need to have 32Gb of it , 16 is plenty for now . That is something that at the moment is wasted as you wont utilize more than 16gb at the moment . Its something you can add later if you need it .

Returnal, Hogwarts Legacy, Forspoken. 3 titles from the past month that recommend 32GB RAM. And I bet almost every PS5 port from here on out will say the same.

Plus I keep seeing Tarkov players say they got a better experience on 32. And seeing as it's under 100EUR for a kit now, buying just 16Gb is stupid.

• Advertisement

@K.O.Kiki you cannot future proof a pc . all you can do is hope that software requirements dont increase at a pace faster than PC new hardware can handle .

Yes ram is cheap but you also have to consider the budget . CPUs and GPUs wont stay at low prices for long as they are been snapped up by gamers when on offer . Once current stock is gome prices will increase again .

As for the games you metioned they can all be played with 16GB of ram . Infact people seem to be playing them on ultra setting with 16gb . I think its either bad porting or they just printed PS5 specs as required and upped the recomeded . Tarkov only need at most 8 gb of ram . Now windows could be doing something funny causing issues but 16 gb of ram is overkill for that game .

@CastorTroy

I would make a move on the GPU and CPU as soon as you possibly can . I noticed a lot of listings on Amazon dissapear over night . It seems any high end AMD GPU on any kind of offer is been snapped up . Same can be said for last gen nvidia cards that go on offer . SO if your GPU is still on offer buy it fast . Power supplies are starting to come down again so a higher watt PSU isnt out of the question . https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermaltake-256-Color-Supply-Warranty-PS-SPR-0700NHSAWK-1/dp/B07FVZ1YSK/ref=asc_df_B07FVZ1YSK/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310773493424&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3135910374190898350&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=20491&hvtargid=pla-564321263711&psc=1

@cornholio509 WTF is that PSU recommendation?

700W 80 Plus White? You might as well give OP a pack of C4 and a detonator!

Thank you all again for your help. I didn't mean to cause any arguments. Still need to have a proper look at K.O. Kiki's build, but it seems the main questions are around GPU and PSU.

Will go with the 750W PSU to be safe. For GPU, with increased budget of 1500, I could go over the 6800.

As someone said earlier, I just need to bite when I see something otherwise it goes out of stock, like the MemoryC link K.O. posted or the Cooler Master PSU cornholio posted above which seems to be the best reviewed online.

Castor dont worry about it sometimes k.o kiki doesnt get the posts or misconstrues them . Though somtimes it does seem like he wants a argument . Yes the first PSU i posted up even though well reviewed is actually not great . Its a 80+ white which means its efficiency is quiet poor . On the PSU front 80+gold is basically standard for powersupplies today .750 watt is kinda baseline today becausde of modern GPU requirements . That said amd rx 6000 cpus dont all need that much . 650w will do fine for tyhe 6800xt . 750Watt to be on the safe side for the 6900 and 6950xt gpus .

AS for the GPU and gpu i would say jump on them if you come across a deal . From what i can see its basically overstock on AM4 cpus and RX6000 series gpus . Once that stock is gone prices will rise again . DDR4 is goiong to stay low for a while becuase of intel x790 supporting ddr4 and ddr5 . THat will change in q3 od this yaer at the latest whne intel start teasing their gen chipset and cpus . DDR4 should spike in price then and stay high .

I cant say this enough . IF you see a deal on a gpu and CPU buy it now . Dont wait to see if it will get cheaper . Make sure you browse around for pricing . AMAZON uk and DE . PC parts picket gpu tracker , case kings , memoryc.ie formally know as komplette and so on .

As far as the budget side of things its what you can afford . Not what we suggest . I know your intial budget was 1300 euro . IF you can afford 1500 all well and good . That said we will help you to the best of our abi8lity but you are the oone paying for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Have a look at this list for PSU's

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Finally started with this:

Ordered the 5700X, 32GB RAM, fans, cooler and SSD from amazon.de.

I should've added the PSU as decided to go with the Cooler Master 750W Gold, which is well reviewed. So will order that now.

Will go ahead with the Asrock AMD B550M Pro4 Socket AM4 Micro ATX and Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 6800 from Memoryc.

Leaves just the case which I think I'll go for the previously suggested KOLINK Citadel Mesh Micro ATX Case. Looks like amazon.de there as well.

That will put me at €1377, so just 77 over my original budget.

• Advertisement

Quick question. While looking I see another Irish based site so was wondering has anyone any experience with www.maxburns.ie? They seem to have a shop in Dublin, but I'm not around there.

Seems to be cheaper than memoryc for some parts.

Advertisement