Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buy to Let in Ireland... good idea? thoughts?

• 27-11-2022 3:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

I've been pondering over the idea of purchasing an investment property and looking for any advice/thoughts.

I am self employed with an annual income of approx/estimate 60-70k per annum depending. No kids, and I currently live abroad so I suppose I'd need to have some sort of property management or agent dealing with it when I am not in Ireland

I would be looking to get a mortgage, and just pay the 10/20% + fees to get started.

Idea would be something like this:

Property cost 130,000 euros

Mortgage payment minimum 800 euros per month

Rent income up to or more than 1500 euros per month

My plan would be to then rent that out to a family or by the room, but ideally to long term tenants/families at around 1500 euros per month based on similar 2/3 bed properties I have seen on the market in the area.

Anyone done buy-to-let or would have some tips for a first timer. Anything to avoid, or look out for.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭jodaw

Rent income subject to income tax when not in Ireland.

No economies of scale

Terrible macro economic outlook

Market setup for institutions

Small to medium landlords exiting

Overstaying tenants

Keep your 60k income and live a stress free life. Why try and bring a tone of stress for 5k extra net of tax and expenses.

Terrible idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Do not do this.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Lot of risk for not much reward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

There are plenty of posts on here with people asking this question op. I’d suggest you search and find those and the response people have put up. Have you done any research on how you’d be taxed on your rental income? You’d be a non resident landlord, there are implications here. Will a bank in ireland even lend to you if you are outside the state? Buy to let deposits are minimum 30% deposit as I understand, and the interest rates are a good bit higher than owner occupier - have you looked into this? You will probably have to travel back to Ireland to sign loan agreements if you do end up buying - are you you close to ireland that you can come back? A solicitor might post the docs to you but not guaranteed. Are you confident that you’d find a property for 130k and it be good enough condition to immediately rent it out? Have you considered house insurance, life assurance, LPT etc in your numbers? Can you pay the mortgage on the property out on your own income for periods that you are not renting? If a tenant decides to not pay you and you have to register a case with the prtb it might be 2 years before you get the tenant out - can you afford to pay the mortgage plus other expenses for this length of time out of your own income?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I wouldn’t and I was a private landlord until a few months ago with good tenants, the sector is utterly politicised so you have very little control over you’re asset

• Advertisement

With the opposition parties protesting yesterday for rent and eviction freezes you'd be mad. And interest rates are only going one way. But some shares with a good dividend instead, or look abroad where laws favour good landlords and tenants, not bad landlords and tenants as they do in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Thanks for all the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

First things first, €130k will not buy a property that you can rent out for €1500 per month.

Choose your tenants VERY carefully, avoid the work from homers, artist types, travellers, single mothers, young families or just families in general.

If you are dead set on doing this then I'd be looking at an apartment in a busy town, A two bed apartment you can easily find single working people to take them. I doubt you'd get a look at an apartment in Dublin-Cork-Galway for that money, maybe €160k+ for a half decent one which will yield about €1200/month. Nice money but you have to factor in at least €4,000 for management fees, property tax, landlords Insurance and a vacancy rate. Tax is Tax idk any part of the world bar some outback down under where you can rent out property and avoid tax. Obviously you will not qualify for the room to let scheme here (few people do) but maybe you would be subject to the tax rate in whatever country you reside in as long s there's a double taxation agreement with Ireland, so UK, USA and EU for a start.

Inward migration into Ireland at 70,000 this year, Schools full to the doors of young people, no hope of any Government getting on top of the housing crisis for at least the next 10 years, recession in parts of the world yes, but other parts of the world will see strong growth like in Ireland.

imho with the rent rates you can get in some towns and cities, property is better value now than a few years back even if the price has risen.

Post edited by AnF Chuckie egg on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Another option.

You could buy an apartment in a tourist area in Spain and let it out to holiday makers through an agent.

You would also have use of it for your own holidays.

• Advertisement
Advertisement