Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing up for your Gender in Conversations

• 27-11-2022 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

I recently heard a woman who worked as a librarian giving out about how it's the men from the travelling community who give it a bad name, and that they are worse than the women? She went on to say that a lot of male travellers would come into the library and they'd be decided what books the women were allowed to read. Anyway at one point she said she had woman who would tried to force herself upon her, and that if wasn't for her husband pulling her off her, she'd have been battered.

What she was saying (about male travellers) may well be true... in fact I wouldn't know, but I do know that if this scenario was the other way around, it would not be tolerated by the women. At one point she used the word terrible, and I couldn't help but say "well the man who pulled his wife off you wasn't too terrible" in order to show up that she possibly never felt threatened by an actual male traveller. Well I didn't get the reaction I wanted from her though it did cause her husband to laugh. There was too many talking and my comment was kind of ignored.

Another time I had a woman complaining about how Nigerian men are "useless" and that it's the women who keep the place going, or something like that. I was considering saying "oh the women build the roads out there I suppose" but I didn't. If I had a similar opinion about a particular group of women I'd curtail myself a lot more, but you do sometimes come across these women just rant away madly without even realising that they're actual talking to a person of the same gender.

I often feel that my trying to stand up for my gender might make me look insecure. I'll usually let the woman/women carry on and not disagree unless I'm sure I've got something good to say. But typically the men will just let the women say what they want and maybe eventually try and steer the conversation off somewhere else. It can just be a bit annoying at times.

What do you think?

Comments

Advertisement