Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claiming other costs for Car Accident

• 28-11-2022 3:41pm

Hey all, just wondering what the correct way to make other claims following a car accident.

My understanding is I should not be out of pocket because this accident was not my fault, liability has been accepted by the other insurance company but they have taken months to fix my car and gone silent on my claims for expenses for other things.

I was rear-ended earlier this year, and only now had my car finally fixed after parts had to be sourced. They said it was because of the current climate.

I was provided with a loan car for a few months whilst working on my car was ongoing but this has cost me more money as the car provided to me was diesel whilst my own car was electric/unleaded petrol.

Because I have had to drive around a diesel for months, the cost at the pump has put me well out of pocket to what I would have been in my own car.

Also, I have had to make a good few trips back and forth to the repair shop and car hire company to collect and drop off mine and their car.

There was also damage to my mobile phone (cracked screen) when the car was rear-ended it flew off one of those magnet holders and cracked the screen. I mentioned this in my accident report at the time but heard nothing since from the insurance company.

Am I likely to be able to make a claim for these out-of-pocket expenses and if so what do you do, Do I have to claim a personal injury claim, or is there another process to claim these costs, as stated, I have mentioned it to the insurance company by email and letter but I have not received any replies.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

It seems a bit of a stretch for an insurance claim to be claiming for a broken screen and fuel, health issues Id imagine would be the main concern as well as damage to the vehicle

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Indeed but surely the whole point is that I shouldn't be out of pocket for an accident I haven't caused.

I am not seeking payment for health injuries, just looking for reimbursement for the cost I have been placed under through no fault of my own.

The phone screen for instance is 300 euro.

The cost to run a diesel car is far more than the cost to run an electric hybrid over 4 months, mounting into hundreds of euro as I use a car to commute to work everyday.

Then their is depreciation costs to my vehicle.

As you can see, I'm quite a few Euro out of pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

it would be great if they agreed and paid, its just how do you prove the damage wasnt already there, doctors reports and NCT for example would be how you prove the health of yourself and car, thats very steep for a screen, hope you get reimbursed

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Just make sure any settlement includes costs, I was stung for £1000's as I settled, thinking costs would fall on the other party as ishe was 100% in the wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Would a diesel car have been much more expensive to run per mile than a petrol hybrid? I understand diesel costs more per litre, but overall it was usually considered more economical. Out of interest what kind of car was involved in the collision?

Travel to and from the garage/car hire place? Would usually be quite limited?

The phone screen - they may challenge that and see what evidence there is that the damage was caused during the collision. In a typical case, a falling phone within a car wouldn’t sustain a broken screen, so I would be prepared to explain how this occurred in more detail.

Diminished value of the vehicle after the repairs have been completed should form part of any settlement you reach with the insurer.

Your ultimate carrot/stick will be the threat of legal action against the driver who hit you. The insurer will ultimately have to pick up the tab, but they will rather settle with you directly and avoid the courts if possible.

• Advertisement

the average difference between petrol and diesel has been quite big over recent months, sometimes around 15c - 20c per Ltr. I travel 100km per day, 6 days per week, over 4 months and you can see the cost does add up.

Travel to the repair garage was done 4 times, a round trip of over 100km total of 400km, so even on that calculation using welfares rate per km of 18c per km, that would be a total cost of 72 euros.

As for my phone screen, it was on one of those magnet holders that fix to the air vent, it was out of the case and when I picked up the phone after the accident it was chipped on the edge, since the accident the chip has spread across the screen as a full crack.

My car is a Kia Nero, 2 years old.

Do you put this in a personal injury claim though, or is that literally only for medical injuries?

Looking at the PIAB website it says

What are Special Damages?

Special Damages are any expenses that you have incurred as a result of an accident. Special Damages may include loss of earnings, medical expenses, out of pocket expenses and vehicle damage costs. In serious cases there may also be future loss of earnings, future expenses etc. The Board will guide/assist you in this event.

Do I fill out the form and leave it to them to sort out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Where does the line stop? Why not claim for snacks and drinks en route to the garage etc. You won't get money for the difference in fuel costs. You can push for the phone alright but you just sound like a chancer now saying 300 euro. Never heard of a screen so expensive

It boils down to this,

Should I be out of pocket for an accident I didn't cause?

If I were a chancer I would be claiming personal injury.

Screen repair - Samsung Authorised Repair  https://www.fonfix.ie/products/samsung-galaxy-s21-ultra-repair?variant=39877462720590

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

The difference in cost per litre of petrol vs diesel is is not relevant, because as mentioned diesel typically provides higher MPG. Your argument would need to evidence that you are out of pocket arising from the running of the hire car vs your own car. Standard petrol hybrid vs diesel, you probably don’t really have an argument. If the Nero was PHEV, you may be able to make a case. It would be worth doing the sums, you will need to tot up the electric range charging cost plus the residual of the journey on petrol and see where you are at.

The term personal injury (and PIAB process) relate to an injury to you personally, such as a back or head injury for example. So these processes wouldn’t be appropriate for seeking the types of expenses you mention.

Was it necessary to attend in person at the repair garage on 4 separate occasions? If it was, the out of pocket expenses of these journeys would seem like a reasonable expense. 400km wouldn’t cost €72 in fuel though, would it? Were those journeys all in the hire car?

Bear in mind, you have also saved the better part of 10,000km of wear and tear on your Niro (tyres, servicing, etc.) There must be few hundred euro there.

Ultimately, you will raise all of this with the insurer and agree a settlement. If you can’t agree a settlement, you sue the other driver and either a settlement will be reached in advance of a hearing, or the courts will make an award to you which will be paid by the insurer. Most people reach an agreement with the insurer, particularly where there are no personal injuries involved.

Advertisement