Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Dogs Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 46 autoboi

All dogs are dangerous and have the potential to do harm. There was a baby killed in the UK by a Jack Russell (2012).

I'd rather we advocate for responsible dog ownership - breed independent. One set of rules for a minority of dog owners is never going to work and frankly isn't fair. Teaching a child that a dog that looks a certain way is dangerous but all others are grand is irresponsible.

Dogs allowed to run wild, no recall, dog sh*t everywhere is not on, a cultural shift towards responsible dog ownership is required.

I honestly believe this begins with how we acquire dogs, its to easy. The removal of puppy farms and the selling of dogs through a central source where the income would need to be declared would be a start - but this is another topic altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

This thread is prime example of apex materialism gone out of control. People literally getting traumatised that they may not be able to purchase some breed of animal because of its aesthetic.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Well that cultural shift won't happen on it's own. The only thing people here understand and gets them to behave is being hit in the pocket.

People here lack civic responsibility and have a problem with following unenforced rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Why was this dog roaming about outside on its own? The owner has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 autoboi

100% that's why I think it needs to begin with how dogs are acquired. I pay tax when I buy a Snickers. How can someone sell a litter over dogs for over 10K and walk away with the cash? Get caught smuggling them out of the country and you get fined for a couple of hundred quid? If there were no moral/legal implications I'd take that gamble myself!!!

It's worth noting we also export rescue dogs to Scandinavian countries - I'm embarrassed, we probably all should be.

I really only see changing the system of how we acquire dogs as the catalyst for cultural change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Enforcement is non existent or just passing the buck in this country. There is an ole one on the next street who has this view she is above the law and entitled to do and she pleases. She also lies when confronted and puts on I'm a harmless little ole lady routine, and the dogs are rescues from those terrible people.

She's had a run in with the warden a number of years back for letting her dog roam and it stopped for a bit when it died. It's started again this year with another one of her dogs and she has been reported 9 times with photographic evidence. First problem, the warden after 6 reportings is prepared to fine her but if she doesn't pay it will have to go to court and that could take a year. It's up to me to go to court if she doesn't pay and provide the evidence. The dog has been caught in the garden 3 time since and I'm still reporting to the warden. I'll go to court if I have to but it should not get to a stage where there are 9 reports with evidence that she is letting a dog loose with no supervision. Most of the time she just opens her door and lets it loose. She has a Jack russell that roams her street which is full of young kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I often wonder what people think will happen if you eliminate Pitbulls from existence? Do they think the people who irresponsibly own them will just sit on their hands & never own another dog or more realistically will they move onto the next trendy breed and destroy their reputation too, I know which I'd bet on.

If there are no repercussions, real repercussions for people whose dogs damage people or property banning dogs breed by breed is like peeing against the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

People want the likes of this lad to learn a lesson? Then demand the eradication of free legal aid.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd hazard a guess that it escaped from a bad or careless enclosure maybe in a chaotic house with a lot of comings and goings, thus self dispensing of the muzzle law as people don't muzzle their dogs at home. These dogs aren't your average staffie, they're expensive & desirable to idiots and commonly stolen by idiots from idiots (they actually don't make great guard dogs) and are as likely to walk away with a stranger as they are to bite them.

All being said, you're 100% correct. The owner has a lot to answer for for not safeguarding & corralling the dog from the public. Accidental or escape, the consequences are devastating for a beautiful little boy who's life has irreversibly changed physically & mentally. The owners punishment will never ever match the suffering to that of the little boys.

I've dealt with one of the XL Bullies and they're incredibly muscled with necks that are impossible to choke out so if it all goes wrong it's difficult to control, unlike a lot of big heavy dogs they've a low centre of gravity and can defend from below effectivly with all that muscle and that short powerful wide mouth muzzle that allows the devastating molars to work. I found (the one I dealt with) difficult to read with cropped ears. Very very boisterous at playtime & even the bitch was quite dominant. Much harder to read than a lot of big breeds that would signal with ears, tail, tongue flicks, body posture etc.. like your more well established big guard breed - German Shepard, Rottweiler, Dobermann, Giant Poodle, Mastiff, Giant Schnauzer, Ridgeback etc.. whom are relatively easy to read and will tell you if they're pissed off.

They also have an incredible tolerance to pain which is a further problem when things go wrong and victim recovery is acted on.

They're not at all suitable dogs for ownership in Ireland, a country with very little crime, in fact there's only a few very inhospitable places in the world where they could be considered suitable and those areas are covered by typical guard dogs like the Boerboel in South Africa where home invasions are common and the breed is a lot more developed and concentrated for specific tasks.

The breed is new, has an unspecified & ambiguous role in society, they're basically a useless companion dog, damaging and have no cultural affinity with humans other than a showpiece for people with fragile egos, similar to your average teapot dog but with desperate consequences.

Watch this space, Argentine Dogo, Presa Canario & the Bully Kutta are another few seriously unsuitable breeds the man child mouth breathers will get their hands on and start to **** around with in time.

Of course pitbulls should be banned. The clue is in the name 'Pit', bred to dogfight other dogs to the death in a pit. Other breeds that are dangerous should be restricted but at least you would have a major killer out of the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Time to ban these dogs. Owners completely ignore the law, I see these kind of dogs with no muzzles all the time.

Also, law needs to hold owners personally and financially responsible for dog attacks.

In South Africa after a spate of attacks by Pitbull's on children, people have gotten sick of it, and have taken the law into their own hands, and are killing these dogs. Owners are surrendering the dogs due to this en masse.

The current situation is bad for everyone, these dogs will keep on attacking and killing people, dogs and other animals, and will lead to an inevitable back lash against them. Better to humanely stop breeding these animals and have strict conditions on existing dogs, so they can live out their lives peacefully.

Also there is often inbreeding when gotten from puppy farms. Just reading the RTE report on the owner and he is a prime example why proper regulation and enforcement need to sorted.

They were originally bred to fight bulls in pits, as you say the clue is in the name, they were subsequently used in dog fighting. They were also bred to be non aggressive to people so that their handlers could safely separate them mid fight if needed.

But my point still stands, by eradicating Pitbulls you are not eradicating the problem, you'll just pass it on to another breed. What you need to do is make the consequences of your dog doing damage to people or property so off putting it won't be worth the risk.

Those that have them don't have any fear of the law and the point is that at least one and probably the most dangerous breed would be removed from the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

100% correct. Inbreeding is inherent in puppy farms and also, if you buy a dog with all the certificates and papers from a reputable IKC show breeder you're most likely buying an inbred dog.

We need to step away from designer dogs and the show dogs are the worst. The perceived "imperfections" disallowed by the ring means a shallower breeding selection.

Get an unwanted lurcher or gaze hound. Unwanted, healthier, calmer, cleaner and less hassle.

• Advertisement

So they don't have Pitbulls anymore so they get a Cane Corso or Dogo Argentino instead so we ban those so then they get a Dogue de Bordeaux or a Boerboel, all dogs that can do as much damage as a Pitbull...where does it stop?? It stops when there are consequences to the people and not just the animal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I have argued for years and years that certain breeds of dog are just too inherently violent and dangerous to exist in society and this latest horrific attack just reinforces that opinion.

The owner of that dog should face a lengthy prison sentence and certain breeds of dog banned outright in Ireland, with severe criminal penalties for those who wilfully break the law. And that’s just the start.

Of course, there are those who would still defend these vile animals and the right to own them, pretty much all by venal scum whose command of the English language would be less than that of my 8 year old grand niece.

Tough legislation around all aspects of dog ownership in Ireland is badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Just because you argued something for years doesn’t make it any less wrong. I’ve two American pit bulls and before that a staffie. All rescues adopted via dogs trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Notice that he’s not facing any charges relating to the dog attack itself. He’s charged with two counts of threats to kill “following” the attack, and unrelated road traffic offences. The dangerous dog legislation in this country is woefully inadequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭AyeGer

The independent and RTE are reporting this dog attacked another child a few days before. What happened with that? Were the garda involved. I don't think we take dangerous dogs and attacks from dogs seriously enough in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LockedBoy

This whole situation is so unbelievably sad and I cannot begin to think what that poor innocent boy and his family are going through.

I do think this highlights the need for stricter dog ownership laws - breed specific legislation will not work and misses the mark. As an example, look at the example of the baby in Dungarvan last year who was killed by a Labrador Jack Russell cross.

While I agree with getting a dog from a charity, Dog Charities have a lot to answer for. For example during the lockdown there was numerous articles in the papers with quotes from the likes of Dogs Trust saying how great owning a dog is if you're on your own or need something to get you out etc. They went to the Charities and those Charities that had some cop on didn't give unsuitable people dogs. But that also lead to people going to puppy farms and dog owners that saw an opportunity to make money from their own unneutered animals.

Now the same Charites are complaining about being unindicted with lockdown dogs that are now being handed in because they were not as advertised, that they require a lot of time and training. Many of these dogs are not trained and suffer with separation anxiety. Those same dogs are getting rehomed now, probably only to be handed back to given to another charity.

No charity should be rehoming restricted breeds either.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Sigyn

I have spent all my adult life with Bull Breeds, Pit Bulls in particular, they are loyal, smart and very dependable. Many of my friends also live with Pit Bulls. There has never been a problem, at all. I currently have two and they are just like any other dog. My Chihuahua bullies them something fierce and one of them is scared of the cats. I am sick to my back teeth of scumbags and irresponsible owners giving them a bad name over and over. Besides, most people would not recognise a Pit Bull if it sat on their lap. The dog in question was not a Pit Bull either but an American Bulldog.

The knee jerk reaction by politicians to ban breeds usually just has the opposite effect as it attracts the underbelly of society. Owners need to be held responsible and I mean heavy fines and prison. So far it has always been the dogs who paid the price, it's time to use common sense and go for the real root of the problem: idiot owners.

You never hear about the huge amount of Pit Bulls and other Bull Breeds living peacefully in families. That doesn't suit the agenda, especially that of the gutter press.

Homo homini lupus est.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

The amount of ignorance displayed in this thread is astonishing.

Also people using a tragic event to spread their bile across the internet shameful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

The facts speak for themselves? What facts? List them out for me please, one by one.

Advertisement