Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Dogs Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭4shameee

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Ah look at this big kitty doing a sweety, he's wouldn't harm a fly. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

And I thought this is about dogs here. By now we have a fully operational ZOO here.

• Advertisement

A Pitbull in disguise. Trying to look harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I don't know if anyone followed the career of Cesar Millan, whatever side of the argument you're on about his training techniques one thing everyone loved about him was his Pitbull Daddy and later Daddy's protege Junior.

2 absolute ambassadors for their breed and prime examples of what these dogs can be in the right hands.

Both dogs lived well into their teens having not only never bitten anyone but helping countless other dogs and people, not bad for a breed that were bred to be 'monsters'.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

When was the last time you/your dog were attacked because I have had a Beagle, Terrier mixes and a Siberian Husky attack me and mine when out walking him, he was a Bull Terrier btw. You and I know if my dog fought back he'd likely have killed all four if tried, however he didn't not once fight back. Who said big powerful dogs were aggressive though, the vast majority of big/giant breeds have never killed anyone in Ireland and if we were banning/restricting breeds who have killed a person then the Pomeranian would be on that list too, as would the vast majority of popular family home breeds.

I used to get the gardai called on myself and my brother walking our dog without a muzzle after an incident where he got excited one day where a neighbour of my sisters babysitters kids were out playing with a ball as my brother picked my sister up, the dog sees the ball bouncing and thinks he is playing, the kids in their driveways father comes home pulling into the driveway on a mad one put an f'*ing muzzle on him.... then word gets around my estate of the so called aggressive dog who btw was under control and on a lead. For months we had gardai called EVERY time we walked him and even had the dog warden up a couple of times who not only couldn't i.d the dogs on the RB list but was invited into the house to see our dogs run and kennel etc leaving more than happy with what she saw. I've had unleashed/ non controlled dogs come into my garden while my dog was tied up as my brother cut the grass and my dog barks we get the put an f*ing muzzle on him or another one was a lab x coming into the garden to take a shite and leave, the owner was told go home and come back with a bag and clean it, its one thing to let your dog roam about but what if my sister or someone else in the family came into contact with that dogs mess again the fault of an irresponsible owner, there's 1000's of them whether they're dog roams, isn't trained with basic commands shites on other peoples properties, attacks people or is even overweight which there's plenty of those too.

A couple of weeks before the ball incident a community Garda passed myself, my brother and a neighbour walking our dog on the local green in my estate on her bicycle she said hi lads and went on her way she paid no heed to the dog nor did he to her, after the ball incident though she had a grudge against us and when asked about the dogs in the estate not under control or attacking ours "I don't give a ****" was her reply as he cycled off one day after paying us a visit. My brother went to the local Garda station explained all the above to the Sergeant and he shook my brothers hand after my brother confirmed the dog was not only not roaming the estate but was kept on a lead and had no history of biting anyone, the community Garda and other local Garda left us alone after that.

The Husky that attacked me walking ours, ironically was caught running in traffic by my brother a week previous, turned out it was let roam an apartment block carpark at night and came out after me when someone entered it one night with their car, I flagged down Gardai leaving the station that night as it was pub leaving time incase it was to attack people too, the first thing they as me if my dog is dangerous while his head it literally in the driver side window of their car, if he was the driver would've been bitten no doubt and he wasn't because my dog wasn't a danger, but the one in danger multiple times but nothing ever happened the owners of those dogs who attack us walking a Bull Terrier because to quote another Garda who stopped by when called over the no muzzling of our dog "But they're not Pit Bulls like your dog " neither was our dog though.

If the government are going to bother enforcing laws of dog ownership then start with the people who uphold the law, if a dog bites someone have the Dog warden/Gardai remove it, have it tested and actually investigate why it bit the person/s, if an RB list dog is found in social housing give the owner a choice leave or surrender the dog as they're banned from social housing by councils. Use the dog licence fee/tax as thats all it is to fund these initiatives. Have classes set up on obedience training for all dog ownership in community centres/school halls etc at the cost of any owner or potential owner for a small amount weekly. For anyone found guilty of animal cruelty minimum of 5 years prison time, and multiples of which depending on severity of their crime/s or amount of animals they've harmed. No more funding of Greyhound racing in Ireland, as of the most recent budget they're getting over €18 million, imagine that money put into something that would help the country like pet owner education instead it funds an industry of gambling where useless animals get just get dumped of sent of to markets to be eaten or rehomed if they're lucky. I'll repeat the case this thread is about, the authorities failed to act after the dog had bitten/attacked previously so they have to shoulder some of the blame too because if this dog was in a dog pounds kennel or on a slab after being put down for the first incident then the victim here wouldn't look the way he does now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

I think the government need to take this in hand . My view would be to control the breeders of these dogs on a government register . Maybe have only 3/4 absolutely top well regarded breeders with an impeccable history that are allowed to breed and sell these breeds .

People can only buy off these breeders after background checks and house visits like dogs trust do to make sure they have a safe and secure garden or yard and that the person buying the dog knows what they are doing .

Anyone else found in possession of one has the dog removed immediately with the public encouraged to report anyone they suspect of having one from the wrong source

• Advertisement

Yes fantastic ambassadors for the breed.

Ah now here. " Millan’s lawyers said the famous dog trainer is not responsible for Junior’s attack on Matiss because she knew of the danger and assumed the risk of being bitten, TMZ reported Friday.

The woman said the dog repeatedly bit her legs in 2017, leaving her with serious injuries and physical and emotional pain, according to the lawsuit. She said she could no longer compete in gymnastics after the attack." https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/cesar-millan-pit-bull-killed-165200930.html

this why I asked you are you serious. I'm sure you hadn't heard the story. I'd say bad ambassador, very bad ambassador.

Ah fair enough, I hadn't heard about it until the thread , it was used an example as to why the breed is dangerous and can't just blame the owners. He didn't seem like your typical scumbag owner.

Must have missed that, I have only real life experience of good Pitbulls so it's hard to show them as examples on an Internet forum so was looking for a public one and completely missed the mark ha!!

Yeah interestingly the other time he was sued for a dog attack it was also a you guessed it -pitbull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I think there's a fair bit of soap boxing going on here by certain individuals who aren't under any threat from Bull Terrier breeds, who don't have any neighbours that have these dogs but who feel the have the moral standing to make inflammatory statements, talk about arming themselves, rabble rouse and generally troll people who have staffies, Rothweilers, Dobbermanns, Kerry Blues, Wheatens, Glen of Imaals and other "strong dogs" or mute dogs along with similar established breeds that have been safely owned in homes for decades here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

What was the outcome of the lawsuit? Could only find articles with allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Meirleach

He settled, interestingly he didn't deny that the gymnast was attacked but claimed she was negligent. Details of the settlement are sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

He also got a police warning this year for having his dog on a no dog area

So case still ongoing where his dog allegedly killed another dog and then there is the settled case of Matiss. Not a great ambassador for the breed or ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The crucial difference here is, if your westie terrier attacks a child, one swift kick from an adult will send it into orbit, rage syndrome or not.

We're talking about dogs that can kill a fully grown man and need a crowbar to prise open their jaws.

I can only assume she was paid off. The articles state from his lawyers that dog attacked her.

It would only take seconds for a dog the size of a Westie to give a toddler life changing injuries as they would be face level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

So what do we do, ban all dogs?

Like, the argument seems to be that if we cannot have a perfect, universal solution, we should do nothing.

It's exactly the same logic as the drink driving laws. For years, publicans and TDs argued that a strict limit punishes the gentle auld fella coming down from the mountain for two pints just as much as it punishes the 19-year old who drinks 11 vodka and red bull and speeds off in his Golf GTI. Eventually we saw sense on that.

In this instance, yeah, the responsible owner of a pit bull or bully or whatever would suffer from a breed specific ban just as much as the local scrote, but sometimes you just have to suck it up and get on with it for the greater good. You'll get the same loyalty and companionship from a 5 kg spaniel, so really what are we losing?

Why on earth would anyone want such a beast? Madness. Hopefully people seen sense and the law is changed soon before others are savaged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Why would anyone want a staffy or a pitt bull? Because they are beautiful animals and fantastic pets. In my personal experience, I knew a few people with staffies or pitt bulls, never had a problem with them. Knew 2 spaniels and I got bitten by both. Spaniels are insane and nasty.

Advertisement