Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Dogs Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

True. It may be down to the bite action. They can bite very hard and even when holding their bite can rock their back jaws to tear into the flesh further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

their back jaws

How many jaws any dog has?

Upper and lower just as we have.

This beast on the other hand has more than two..

This is Jaws!

At least this one is on a chain.

Even that one doesn't have a back jaws ..

Hate to break it to you, but if you pay attention to the picture you've posted, you'll realise it's not real.

Until you have witnessed a pit bull with its fangs in the throat of your dog, kid or grandma you might be inclined to think they are nice dogs. Too many have learned the hard way that while they may have some normal nice dog traits like loyalty and playfulness, and can be trained to sit and roll over, they also can and do “snap” and maul and kill in an instant and that they don’t do it until they do it. Many times the first attack a pit bull commits is fatal and no one saw it coming as they don’t typically give warnings that they will attack like nipping, barking and growling and they don’t bite and release as regular dogs do. They just keep attacking until the victim is dead unless someone can stop them and that is not easy to do especially by the general public who neither have or know how to use the tools of the dogmen to stop a pit bull from attacking.

With hundreds of other non-fight breed dogs available for pets, getting a pit bull is ill-advised if you want to keep your pets, family, friends, and neighbors in one piece.

• Advertisement

Even the ISPCA

'The Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ISPCA) has called for a ban on the breed of dog which killed a five-year-old girl in Britain.

Ellie Lawrenson bled to death after being mauled by a pit bull terrier in Merseyside on New Year's Day. Her grandmother was seriously injured in the attack.

The girl's uncle, who owned the dog, now faces possible prosecution as pit bulls are banned in the UK under the Dangerous Dogs Act. Such a ban is not in operation in Ireland, where three types of pit bulls are subject to the Control of Dogs Regulations.

The regulations demand only somebody over 16 should accompany such dogs in public and they should always be in a muzzle and on a short leash in public.

However, the ISPCA says the regulations are a "blunt instrument" which are difficult to enforce and do not go far enough in the case of pit bulls.

ISPCA general manager Mark Beasley said: "We would be in favour of a ban on pit bull terriers because we cannot endorse the ownership of them as companion animals. We have serious concerns in particular about American pit bulls and any cross-breeds from it. They are primarily bred as fighting dogs. It's in their genes.

"No matter how well somebody claims they can control a pit bull, the evidence - and that unfortunate incident in the UK shows - is that they are unpredictable and difficult to control."

In 2003, the ISPCA was involved in bringing a case for animal cruelty against five men who were later found guilty after being involved in organising a dog fight between two pit bull terriers in Co Kildare.

Mr Beasley said there had been a marked increase in the breed in urban areas of Dublin and Limerick. "The evidence we have from dog wardens on the ground is that they are a popular breed in certain areas where they are regarded as a status symbol."

In the North, the Ulster Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (USPCA) has said local authorities should consider an amnesty similar to one introduced by Ballymena City Council this week. Owners of prohibited dogs have been given until the end of January in Ballymena to hand in their animals without being prosecuted. The amnesty was introduced after a family was attacked by a pit bull-type dog in the town last November. Since the amnesty was introduced, 14 owners have surrendered their pets and two pit bulls have been destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

It means that it's their base instinct to bite etc and without training they will always revert to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

And this is attacks on humans, right?

Let's also not forget the number of family pets which have been mauled to death or bady injured by dangerous breeds. I witness a german shepard attach our small dog years ago, the owner pulled his dog off our dog, she survived but needed stiches. I carried an illegal dagger knife for years going out for walks in that area. To this day, I dont trust german shepards, I suppose I am still traumatized. If I met somone walking their GS, I pick up our terrier cross pet when walking past. The owners often say 'he's very friendly' .. which I ignore. Some GS salvate at the mouth when they see fluffy little dogs out for walks, I often observe it.

A GS attacked a relatives small dog out in the countryside a few uears back, she spent a week at the vets, thankfully recovered. The owner refused to accept responsibilty. Told the owners of the small dog that he'd set his two GS on anyone who entered his property.

One of same GS attacked a lady cycling on a country road near their house, she needed plastic surgery, her thigh was ripped open. Her husband arrived with his shotgun and killed the dog before driving his wife to hospital.

20 miles from this location, a lady's eldery sheep dog was killed by 2 GS which escaped from a neighbors property.

The stories go on and on. And this is only one rural area. God know how many more dogs & cats are mauled by dangerous breeds around the country everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Terrier2023

I have a german shepherd i got him as a prevention tool as the ethnic minority were visiting my place wanting to buy jeeps horse box anything they could see scrap etc etc. He is trained and i only allowed him out to greet them once, that is 4 years ago . He made his point as he was trained to do and he is the family pet. I have a sign on my gate enter at your own risk the dog is faster than you and i have had no issues since. The postman knows him and he has no issues delivering the post. A dog is only as good or bad as the human who owns him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Terrier2023

Its a humourous sign - has everyone really lost their sense of humour in the world ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

It really isn't humorous from the point of being done if it bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭boetstark

A true Staffordshire terrier would not have the physical size to kill a human no more than a spaniel or other smaller size dogs.

Problem is inter breeding and unregulated breeding , and also s#ithead owners.

Bulls#it about husband shooting the German Shepherd. If he did he would be in jail now.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

Another type of dangerous dog owner: one with a friendly lab puppy that thinks she is above using a leash. Dog ran out of the park and after me and nearly caused a car accident. Second time this week the dog did that to me and my dog. Idiot owner.

Just pointing out that restricted breeds/bites aren't the only way a dog can cause harm and injury.

What is with people letting untrained dogs off the lead in general.

I can see a huge rise in antidog sentiment in the country and its no bloody wonder between off lead dogs and dog sh1t everywhere.

I'm an absolute dog loverly BTW but my god most owners just don't have any basic respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

Link below regarding propsal to increase dog fines. I don't believe fines are deterents for dog owners, in particular owners of dangerous dogs. Fines are issued in the courts, at that point the dog has attacked, mamed or killed another dog, cat, human, or other animal. Its too late then.

Wardens and Gardai need power to remove dangerous dogs quickly, and all compliants from the public need to be investigated in a timely manner, and breeders regulated. This is where funding is required. For that, the wardens need an animal police force, like they have in the states. Police who oversee domistic pet crime/cruelry, wildlife crime, etc. I know people will say Ireland doesnt have funding for animal welfare police. But we seem to have money to house illegal migrants for years, pay welfare to people who refuse to work, bail out banks, etc. And a very high % living in this country value animals, pets and widlife highly. High enough to influence voting I reckon.

RTE news : Minister proposes doubling of dog fines to €5,000

http://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0328/1366720-dog-warden/

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Feets

Recently the statistics of dangerous dogs lile xl bullys in the uk have rocketed. Killing and injuring. Today they are finally talking of banning them. Has Ireland anything in the pipeline for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

'What is with people letting untrained dogs off the lead in general.'

The "rules are for other people, not me" people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Quitelife

These dogs are kept by drug dealers & scumbags in 95% of instances , very unsettling for neighbours but nobody cares anymore.

True enough. Used to deter gardai from having access.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Bizarrely the RSPCA is mounting a campaign to not just oppose adding Bully XL to the banned dog list, but to remove the banned dogs list in totality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭bmc58

Colour change around the neck area is strange all right.

What's bizzare about it.These monsters have no place in Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

RSPCA = Uk agency.

They are advocating both against adding Bully Xls to the banned list despite numerous attacks this year, and are advocating instead to remove the banned list completely.

The ISPCA seem to have a more rational viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Used instead of carrying a knife for intimidation too. Can’t be arrested for having the dog.

Gives a reasonable excuse for walking around town late at night too ‘Dog had to go, didn’t it?’

The new law is a start to stop the suffering of these animals and future ones.

Next law needs to be an enhanced dog licence to have one of these animals. A long course with written and practical exam to pass it. If you’re in public with these dogs you need the licence on you (no different to having your driving licence) or the dog is seized.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

shur that's just the one dog, can't tar them all with the one brush, other dogs bite too you know.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement