Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Dogs Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,482 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yes I think it was, in her own home and was looking for training tips for said dog on Facebook I believe previously for the dog but I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Dog lover here, have 2 labradors. Love all dogs, or at least I did until I met an xl bully. And then later some sort of bull terrier cross, which actually bit me. And I've been around Rottweilers, German shepherds a good bit, great breeds of dogs too. Although very powerful.

The girlfriends friend from work ended up minding xl bully last year, we dropped into her house to get something and was met by this abomination of muscle and teeth. Must have weighed what my 2 decent sized labs do together. Wasn't friendly either, it seemed a bit off with my presence and even scared of me which put me very on edge. I've gained trust of nervous dogs before, I've made a point of doing that but no way was I going near this thing. I was a bit worried for her leaving her alone with it but nothing happened. I'm a 100kg ex rugby player and I wouldn't fancy my chances if it did attack me, she would be bolloxed altogether.

The dog that bit me was small, about 15kgs I'd guess but it's head must have been half that. Bull terrier cross something or other. Massive head and jaws. I walked into the room, it was grand with 2 females presence but not with me, jumped up and bit me on stomach ripping through a t shirt and breaking skin. I still have a small scar. Again, she was minding it for someone.

These things are so far removed from suitable family pets or even suitable for the type of scrotes that but them.

They should be banned. What's wrong with having the hundreds of dog breeds that aren't bred to be so powerful and savage. Something wrong in the genetic code, I reckon it's a very shallow gene pool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Anybody who owns these dogs and has half a brain will think that.. but then again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Yes this is what I was getting at earlier: dog owners are often unaware of the signals their own dogs are sending out, and then they’re shocked when the dog attacks. But the dog doesn’t generally attack with no warning. Same as the small dog biting the child on the arm: no dog, whatever the size, should be allowed to be jumping up at a child. That lack of control is a red flag and if it bites, the owner who says “Oh I can’t understand why” is just proving that they aren’t a fit owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The ban should be brought in immediately. Several cases in UK, all the same type of dog. There should be no ifs or buts it's 100% clear cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

Forget about attack dogs for a minute. Anybody who owns any sort of dog without any actual beneficial reason for doing so, why do ye do it? Fair enough if you are a sheep farmer, need a guide dog, care dog, cattle farmer etc, but all these dog owners living in suburbia acquiring dogs just for some lifestyle choice, what is the point? Literally looking after some literally dependent animal without any beneficial reason for 12 years with no logical benefit for yourself or the animal either? Why do ye do it?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It's plain and simple that these dogs have to be banned. Too many people have been attacked or killed, thankfully the times I've been bitten it's been by small dogs. These dogs are just uncontrollable if they turn and it's pretty obvious the owners aren't capable of been taught to properly train and look after them. You have to take control out of the hands of owners and unfortunately the dogs have to go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Hiking, playing, going for walks, getting you out and about, even though you can't talk to them dogs can be great company.

Then there's people with mental health problems having a dog is great for them.

Apart from that, I just like them. They're a bit of work alright but that's life. Always had a dog in the house growing up and have them now too. I actually got a 2nd so the 1st was as dependent on me, they entertain each other too

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have actually heard it said that pit bulls are great around children. Yip, hard to believe. Might just have been owners trying to justify their ownership?

Apparently German shepards have the highest number of attacks annually. Not sure I'd true or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

Not one but several restricted dog breeds in her house; nothing shocking about this tragic story unfortunately. It should be legal to cull these breeds on sight if the dimwitted scrote owners don’t think there is anything wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That would require a level of awareness and intelligence that would be way beyond what an owner of those dogs could manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭davidx40

There should be national cull of all XL bullys , pit bulls , akitas etc asap

Yes - I don't like to speak ill of the dead, but I can't understand how a 23 year old woman would have the time to look after FOUR large dogs properly.

I'm including training in that, but even just the day-to-day exercising of four dogs wouldn't usually fit well into the life of a typical 20-something who doesn't have an outdoors-type job. So I'd suspect the dogs were getting woefully inadequate stimulation and exercise, and the fact that she knew she needed extra training for one of them shows there was en existing issue with behaviour.

Absolutely tragic, but TBH at least it wasn't a neighbour's child whose life was destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

She loved those dogs.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If that dog bit you straight away like that without provocation from you then I would bet you are not the first person it has bitten.

That dog should be put down.

4 incredibly strong dogs cooped up in a house, as in the Indo piece it's reports neighbours never seen any dogs. So no exercise for them.

A very sad loss but I'm sure she also believed that xl bully's were lovely pets, wouldn't harm a fly etc.

If I was the owner of one at this present time, I'd be making plans to get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Did I hear right this morning that whoever raised the alarm saw the attack on CCTV and forwarded the footage to her family?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

Who the hell records someone being mauled and gored to death by a dog then shares it online?

The World is incredibly depraved.

• Advertisement

GArdai have said the person who sent the video to the family may have been under the influence of drugs at the time.

No excuse.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

They took it from some "high tech CCTV" at the house, I assume it is something he had access to from his phone, he wasn't at the house at the time. That is my understanding from reading the article in the Independent linked above.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭acceletor

I believe it was caught on cctv but I'm open to correction on that…..

Here's my 2 cents.

I've been around dogs and dog breeds. All different breeds have different traits. Some are great for game and hunting as they love chasing out birds and retrieving them others are loyal easy going house pets others are want to run etc but only XL Bullys are bred to fight. That's it. To maim/to tear/ to rip/ to dismember anything it gets it's teeth on.

Off the over 200 dog breeds why in the name of God would you choose the one known for brute strength and fighting? A breed you know can easily overpower you?

It's unfortunate but it seems the people who have this breed don't think it through even for a second. Seem to be lesser educated people shall we say.They don't understand getting this breed into their homes radically increases their chances of serious injury or death.

A dog doesn't know he's a pet. He doesn't understand the notion even. This XL Bully as a pet thing is absurd as you're trying to domesticate a creature bred to kill and fight.

Like the story of the scorpion and frog the dog simply won't change his nature. It's kill or be killed in his mind. You can't placate his nature will belly rubs and treats.

I hope so, it's incredibly disturbing to think someone would stand there recording a person being mauled to death by a dog with their phone. Shows a total and utter disregard for human life.

Except that didn't happen.

I'd guess someone has access to in house cameras via an app. Perhaps a landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

She was delusional like I posted earlier tiktoks with dogs slobbering all over her.

Lines added in included

"I don't give a f#ck if you think he looks aggressive"

"I don't give a f#ck if you think the breed should be banned"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

from the daily mail: note this is just since February 2024

Timeline of suspected XL Bully attacks since the start of the ban

February 3 - A grandmother was killed by two XL Bully dogs in Clacton-on-Sea, Essex. 

February 9 -  A woman was bitten in the face by a 'bully type dog' in Lanarkshire. 

February 10 -  An eight-year-old boy was mauled by a dog believed to be an XL Bully while playing outside in Merseyside.

February 18 - An XL bully-type dog was shot dead by police after attacking another dog and injuring three people.

February 19 - A four-year-old girl was left seriously injured after she was attacked by a  suspected XL Bully cross-breed in Carmarthen. 

March 18 - A suspected XL Bully was killed by armed police after going on a rampage and injuring four people in Battersea, London. On the same day a three-year-old boy was mauled by a registered XL Bully in Doncaster. 

April 9 - A woman was attacked in her home in the Norfolk town of Holt by an XL Bully she was looking after.

April 16 - A suspected XL bully attacked a woman in Blackpool.

April 29 - A woman was taken to hospital with serious injuries after being attacked by a bully-type dog in Kelloholm, Dumfriesshire.

May 20 - A woman was mauled to death by her two registered XL Bully dogs in Havering, east London. 

May 27 - A five-year-old boy was attacked by an XL Bully in Hull. 

May 28 - A 15-year-old boy was attacked by an XL Bully in Caerphilly, South Wales. 

"But they are lovely pets. So gentle around my kids".

• Advertisement

The man rang emergency services before sending an 18-second video clip of the attack to the victim’s shocked family-

I don't know the media are just saying a video was sent but how could he send a video from someone else's ring camera? Unless he knew her and had the logins for it.

Anyway why send the video? Who wants to see videos of family members being killed?

Whether it was ring video or whatever it's still very macabre and wrong to send it to family members.

Advertisement