Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Dogs Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭susan678

I will address anewme for this post.

We are adults and I can see your point that people should not be running over to pet strange dogs.

I as an adult am also aware many children have little or no sense and I would not be waking an animal out in public that was going to tear a child apart.

Children do stupid things we as adults should be the ones to make sure the world is as safe as it can be for children.

I do realise this may not apply to you're dog but the subject we are dealing with here is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Yes, agree with this. I would not go to a park if I felt there was a dog out on its own or even on a lead that the owner could not control if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭yagan

Any dog specifically bred to attack, maim and kill should simply be banned. They're weapons, not pets.

I believe the vast majority of people with Bully XL dogs, especially after all the stories about the UK ban know full well they are in possession of a lethal weapon and not a pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭susan678

This was not clear from your earlier posts I apologise it's clear now you do have common sense.

Many dog owners don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

there was a add on the tv and radio about dogs attacking sheep saying it’s not your dogs fault, it’s yours. The owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

I have no doubt that if most of the owners of these dogs could have pet African Lions they'd have them and be telling everyone their Lion is harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Another attack by a Pitbull in cork last night. 2 bitten and dog shot

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

100% this.

For whatever reason people avoid this but it's true XL Bullys in Ireland are all inbred as they all come from the same sire and dame from 15 year ago.

My father (RIP) use to breed dogs, inbred dogs were always avoided like the plague by people in the know. Too many were partially blind or deaf and umpteen different mental health problems on top of it to boot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I'm amazed to hear that the Dogo Argentino isn't already banned: I came across one at a wedding a few years back, and that was one scary dog It belonged to the bridegroom's gay uncle and partner, fwiw - I can't quite explain why that seems relevant, but it did look to me to be something to do with appearances. They were sort of showing off walking this massive thing with its massive balls around. Very strange vibes. Their "baby" of course.🤬 I kept well away from it - and I'm a dog lover, as may be clear from my posts! They lived abroad, so maybe the Dogo Argentino is just very rare in Ireland and that's why it wasn't already banned?

Cane Corso are just as powerful looking, but I've met a few and they've been ok. -ish.

TBF I'm not keen on the "mastiff" type anyway, but they do seem less terrifying than the Dogo Argentino, maybe more like Rottweilers (which is bad enough I suppose).

I'd never heard of the Presa Canario until this Limerick incident, but it looks just as bad as the Dogo Argentino. When the blurb about a dog's character tells you right from the off that they're aggressive to other animals and can be "bossy" if the owner isn't firm, you know you're heading for trouble when people start getting one "for the look of them". Because those are always going to be the wrong people.

https://myfamilyvet.com/client-resources/breed-info/perro-de-presa-canario/#:~:text=Of%20course!,can%20make%20a%20great%20companion.

Appearances can be deceiving I'm sure the dogs were molly coddled but how much exercise did they get? It's interesting to note a neighbor said he never seen the dogs outside. I strongly suspect these dogs spent a very large portion of their time indoors. Nothing is more frustrating for a dog than being cooped up. Nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I won’t speak about the poor deceased woman as I don’t think that’s respectful - but in relation to Molly coddling dogs, I think it’s one of the worst things you can do to a dog.

I met a great dog trainer a few years ago- she had a great awareness around what dogs needed and Molly coddling was certainly not on the list- it would only bring aggression eventually - dogs need to be treated as dogs, not kids - they need clear direction, proper training and clear boundaries between what’s acceptable and not - otherwise you’ll have a hell of a behavioural issue with them

No one knows what way the dogs were treated and I'm not saying anything on the deceased RIP but I agree with you.

You shouldn't molly coddle an animal. For one they don't understand it.

Why did this dog trainer woman think molly coddling dogs made them aggressive? I did see it before with an ex, she had a little dog minded like a baby the dog was pampered beyond belief it was ridiculous she'd carry it around so it didn't have to walk even! Anyway one day the dog turned and bit her hand quite badly. She could never understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I adopted a Cane Corso about 2 years ago. She was such a dote, took to me within a week. But unfortunately she was child reactive due to her original owners kids pulling out of her all the time. I'm 6ft4 and well built and I struggled with her when she lunged at prams etc. Within 10 days of adopting her she was back in the pound. Thankfully shes now living her best life on a big farm.

We currently have an English Bull Terrier and he is so pleasant. He has the personality of a cat and wouldn't harm a fly. He's only 25 kilos and still needs a strong arm to control him. I can't imagine how little control these people have with an XL Bully, they look scary strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He wouldn’t harm a fly.. it’s this!!!!

You hope he wouldn’t, is really what you mean

Would you ever leave him near children unattended?

Because "mollycoddling" and carrying dogs around is not what dogs like or want, except maybe some of those tiny "companion" dogs, and even then I wouldn't be sure of that. But middle sized and bigger dogs definitely want to be outside doing things with/for their owners. That bit is crucial.

But "mollycoddling" and carrying dogs around is not what dogs like or want, except maybe some of those tiny "companion" dogs, and even then I wouldn't be sure of that. But middle sized and bigger dogs definitely want to be outside doing things with/for their owners. That bit is crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

As if to reinforce the need for a ban and enforcement of it another attack on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Presa Canario breed responsible for this death in Galway:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30939469.html

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I don’t care if you keep a tiger in your house. The only danger there is to yourself.

My problem is when you bring these monsters on to the streets. Most owners won’t be able to control these beasts when it kicks off.

I’m not a fan of dogs. That’s my business. Keep your mutts away from me and my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It's crazy to me that normal people get Malinois as pets. I've been around them as working dogs. They are walking chainsaws, with ADHD. They will tear up your home, you cannot understand how much stimulation they need.

Working breeds should require specific licensing and circumstances to own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fallen01angel

I think you misread my post, I specified any dog breed when I mentioned child interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Pit bulls and similar breeds should be put down . No reason for having them . People saying don’t blame the dog are talking nonsense .

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@volchitsa - "I'd never heard of the Presa Canario until this Limerick incident"

Until the arrival of the XL bully, I think they were the scariest looking dog around. Animals (including humans) know instinctively that if something looks scary, it most likely is dangerous

There should be a list of banned breeds (including dogs like the Presa Canario, the XL bully, etc.) banned to have in public, to sell or to breed with. And any out in public should be confiscated, DNA tested to prove if they are on this list, and if so, euthanised. I love dogs and this is a terrible thing to do, but there is no other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Why would you even go for an English Bull Terrier? Their potential to kill and maim is off the scale and I'm speaking from experience. The owner also referred to it as a "baby" and stated it wouldn't harm a fly... until it did. Owners like that are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Horrible report.

That lady was killed in 2017 and the inquest was 2019.

At the inquest, the coroner recommended that this breed be added to the restricted dogs list, that that a special dog license with special training should be introduced for owners of such breeds; and that Galway county council should make a submission to the current Government review of control of dogs legislation.

It is now 2024 and the Presaria Canario is still NOT on the restricted breed list.

This shows how out of date the Govt are in tackling this issue, which has clearly been building for a long time.

That was my feeling about the Dogo Argentino, but having seen the Presa Canario, I think I might even put it above the DA.

I think the fact that the only DA I've seen up close IRL was a huge unneutered male may also be a factor in why I felt it was so aggressive looking. That said, I've seen a couple of male Corso Cane and they were less scary looking than the DA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

No I wouldn't leave him or any other dog unattended with children. Dogs can't be trusted, learned that myself.

Personally I would never leave even a small dog unattended around small children, and any sort of "guard" dog even less so. Because it's in their nature to want to "control" things. And the bigger the dog, the older the child would have to be before I'd feel sure it was safe with that dog.

The other thing that comes into play is the pre-existing relationship between the dog and the child. An 8 year old that's grown up with a (calm) dog is very different to a visiting 8 year old, not even one that comes from a dog-owning family, and even more so a child of the same age who isn't used to being around dogs generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭coolbeans

It's not a criticism more curiosity but why would you even consider that breed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Generally speaking yes, but the likes of the XL Bully is bred specifically to tear a new arse into anything or anyone that gets in its way. There's no way anyone can control this muscle bound mouth with legs if it kicks off.

Advertisement