Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to spot a suspicious rental?

Options
  • 29-11-2022 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Really just asking for a friend who is looking for a place and asked for my advice. Since I don't really have any, having lived in the same place for years now, thought someone might have some insight here. How do you spot a suspicious rental in other words, what signs to look out for to avoid getting scammed?

Here's an example; he's being invited to view a place which seems to have been for sale only two weeks ago (the ad was renewed then) with the ad saying "sale agreed". Could a sale go through that fast? It's just a bit strange. I think so too. Anything particular he should look out for? I'm not really sure whether to advice him to go see the place anyway or to decline.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

If it doesnt feel right, dont even bother showing up. If it doesnt feel right when you do show up then just walk away.

If the landlord doesnt ask you for so many details and references that it makes you uncomfortable then it might be a scam too. Landlords are asking for high deposits and multiple previous landlord references as well as bank statements etc. They will probably also expect a work reference too though will expect you to offer it up rather than risk the discrimination police and ask you outright for it. A scamster will let you have an easy ride so they get to you handing over the money faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Sounds like a scam. Call the estate agent who sold it and ask are the owners renting it as it is been advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

I said to him too that I'd contact the agent. Funnily enough, the rent ad disappeared from the site before invites for a viewing so no way of checking it out anymore but the "for sale" ad is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

If the price seems too good to be true, don't even bother viewing. There is no rent at the moment advertised that is way below market rent.

If you are told the landlord is out of the country, that is an automatic red flag. But if you are dealing with a reputable estate agent then that is okay.

Paying anything before viewing is an automatic scam.

Not paying to a bank account and an Irish bank account at that is an automatic scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭zell12

How to spot a suspicious rental?

It is available. 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

If it's through Rentberry or Spotahome - RUN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Definitely a scam

Living the life

Advertisement