Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Di2 and disc brakes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Going for a suspension fork. Nice ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PaddyHound

Thanks. I guess i'd probably consider epoxy or some other kind of strong adhesive if it was a carbon frame but seeing as it's metal, welding seems like the easiest option. Plus I know a welder who has all the equipment, so problem solved.

Also I already have 22 speed, but just need to electrify it assuming 11 speed and 22 speed drivetrains are cross-compatible. I'd be a bit concerned about the reliability of a tri-front hub even though 33 speed would be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Could have been, but OP shot his wad in the first couple of posts.

Need to play the line out slowly in these things..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If you're struggling to find somewhere to put the battery, perhaps you could put it in a little backpack and then run a wire from it down to the bike?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

strap the battery to a mudguard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Was just popping in to say don't forget to get mudguard compatible new fork, in case it rains during the Ras.

Probably also worth getting yourself a good Italian or Spanish doctor if you need to be ready to race in such a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

If you could coordinate with your team car, you could run the cable from the bike through an open window in the car to a USB. I would advise practising some motor pacing for at least a week beforehand though as this is an advanced skill. Maybe check with other participating teams on how they have managed their positioning in this way and to ensure nobody gets in your way unduly during the race while doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Would it not be better to have it in your rear jersey pocket, and you could just do quick changes of batteries without moving.

But a cycling jerseys a bit of an expensive purchase I guess, no real need for one if you’re only doing the odd sportive and then the Rás

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

having a skilled drone pilot in the car, with the battery cable running from the drone to the bike, would be safer than running the cable directly to a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

are you allowed to cycle on the footpad in the rás?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Trekker09

No need for a battery. Use a googanised flux capacitor with full flummax connectors

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

This must be a wind up 😂

Please stop with the crazy ideas. Although some are funny I’d like to keep the thread focused on the task. Thanks everyone :-)

i was just thinking now if it would be better to put the rear disc calliper above the tube, inside the triangle. I think this would be better as the rotational force would be pushing the calliper towards the tube rather than pulling it away. It would also give me a lot more ground clearance should it be needed

Also, if anyone can recommend a crash course in bike frame building this could be helpful for me to get a better understanding of the forces at play, and to back up my years of experience of practical real world physics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Nah, sorry you've lost it now. There was a kernel in the first few posts, you were playing it just enough (well maybe a little heavy. You brought up the Ras too soon).

But now? You might as well just close the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Dont forget to ask that welder mate to put something on the bike for the basket! Your bike doesnt seem to currently support one!! You'll never get through the Ras without easy access to some ham sandwiches, washed down with warm sugary tea through each stage.

Looking forward to the interviews with this lad @Quigs Snr !

This thread has this vibe to it

In the old days of boards it would have been captioned " I would have gotten away with it too if not for that pesky muppet check thingy" 😅

For those not familiar, it was a tool mods had to check if different posters were one and the same via IP address if I recall ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Hmm! What's a "tool mods" job on boards again??

Things are progressing nicely. Not sure about your basket suggestion but I’m still trying to figure out what disc brakes to install. Is there a disc calliper i can get that would be adjustable to take multiple size rotors? It seems like something that should exist.

I’m just wondering because I’ve no idea what the neutral car service dudes will give me. God knows that these fecking eejits could throw anything at me and I just have to deal with it!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

don't forget the aerobats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

If you install the calipers with over-long mounting bolts and fit springs under the bolt heads, the caliper will automatically adjust to the size of whatever rotor you have. (The rotor may wear away the caliper bridge but that's a useful weight-reduction strategy as the bike will get lighter as you go through the stage and are getting more fatigued).

It would be worth spending some time developing an optical sensor system that can automatically recognise how may sprockets on the wheel from Neutral Service and how they are spaced. This would then be used by the Di2 system to adjust the shifting to match whatever format cassette you get.

Sweet

can I suggest putting a BMX wheel on the front as well?

It will keep you more level on the climbs and make you more aero on the descents.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Well this was an enjoyable read, let me know if you need numbers to make up your team. I've always wanted a shot at the Ras. If we went for Schwalbe marathons (fairly decent tyres) then there would be no need for a support car at all. I've years of long distance touring so will be able to navigate if we are off the front together

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

I've only gravel bikes, can I still join?

Having said that, I know a fella who picked up a Raleigh Vectar in good nick recently 🤔

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Schwalbe marathons have been rebranded as Schwalbe Snickers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I hope you all apologise to the entirely, completely legit and not at all trolling OP.

Advertisement