Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to completely hide an RSJ beam ?

Options
  • 29-11-2022 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hello,

Wondering if anyone in the construction game know if an RSJ has to stick out or can it be hidden completely ?

My theory is if dry wall could be put on the ceiling either side of RSJ to blend in the beam, it will shorten the height of the ceiling but atleast hide the beam sticking out.

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Assuming you do not want to alter the beam (i.e. move it/raise it) you could do what you are suggesting but you will probably be limited by the window height and also try to ensure the finished floor to ceiling height is no less than 2400mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CandyButcher

Thank you for your reply Docarch

• Registered Users Posts: 46,050 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would suggest you make a feature of it. Maybe clad in your preferred wood type and have it look like a wooden beam. If necessary and for visual appearance add an additional dummy beam.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Is the beam in the center of the room? if not how far off center is it? If it were me I would drop the ceiling at the perimeter to the level to cover the beam and a similar width to the beam bulk head, at the junction between the wall and the ceiling @ the window wall I would leave the ceiling go back up to the existing ceiling height to create an inverted recess for a hidden curtain rail ceiling track, then I would leave the rest of the ceiling at the existing height, see sketch green is lower level to cover the beam and yellow is existing level and blue is the beam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I'd just box it.

Lowering the ceiling is not not possible, mainly due to the window, as stated already.

• Advertisement

These ceilings are quite tall with a decent gap between the window and ceiling have a look at attached picture. Maybe could put two panels either side without touching window ?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,050 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The ceiling in the OP's photo looks to be standard height.

Hidden curtain inverted recess at window would allow to drop, always possibilities

“always possibilities” thats what I like to hear. But ive zero construction knowledge, could you explain a bit more about your idea ?

In my opinion it'll look crap. Each to their own I suppose.

• Advertisement

OP why don't you measure the depth of the beam and then mark it out on the wall above the window - that'll give you an indication of where the ceiling will be.

It couldn’t look much worse then this picture which is what I want to achieve by knocking wall build partition wall few feet behind to enlarge the room but without the eye sore.

my room atm is 4m by 3.16

something like the following, obviously you can dress it up any way you like, depends exactly where the beam is in the room etc

and hidden curtain rail

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So far you’ve posted 3 different house. Which suggests to me that you talking about a future RSJ and not a current one you are trying to conceal. I think the advice above is mostly in regards to an existing situation.

If you haven’t don’t the work yet. It’s absolutely achievable to place the beam within the ceiling space. A bit more work, and needs careful detailing. But not remotely hard.

Hi Mellor,

yes a future rsj as I just signed contracts on a house and want to make sitting room bigger but cant stand thought of a beam in the room!

Delighted to hear this that it can be totally disguised. Would you any recommended builders that could accomplish this ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

No problem installing the beam within the ceiling/hiding it, as Mellor said. You first need a structural engineer to look/specify/detail and then get a builder to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭chooseusername

If the beam runs parallel to the joists it may be easy enough to conceal it, depending on what’s upstairs. But if it’s perpendicular to the joists, not so easy, especially if the beam is steel. You may have plumbing and cables to deal with, and the joists will have to be cut to conceal the beam.

Advertisement