Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Border Collie - aggressive with strangers after three-day boarding kennel stay.

Options
  • 29-11-2022 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭

My border Collie nipped at a woman today. My dog was sitting between us as we chatted. As the woman went to go, she suddenly bent down to pet the dog (she has petted her before - used to regularly meet her on walks) and my border collie reacted badly. The dog didn't break skin but nipped her on the hand to let her know she wasn't to be touched. A man on my road used to regularly pet her too - but the day I got her out of a boarding kennel (she was there three days), he went to pet her, and my dog would not let him near her. Bared her teeth and even at me when I tried to control her. In both instances with both people, after baring her teeth, she goes behind my legs and cowers when they try to talk to her and get close to her.

What is going on? She lets me and family pet her all we want - big on cuddles and everything. A very affectionate dog.

Do I need to bring her to a professional?

Post edited by DBB on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

I would definitely have her assessed by a canine behaviour professional. It sounds that your dog has been traumatised by something or another from being in the kennel and or she is naturally not a people (strangers) kind of dog and shouldn’t be petted by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

OP

Just checking, how’s your dog doing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

She's grand for the most part. Brought her to a dog groomer. She loves him. Jumping up on him. Petting away.

There's a neighbor she hates. Goes mad if he comes near. Probably picks that up from me because I think he's a freak.

She lets other neighbours pet her. But she can be wary of strangers.

She nipped a child that was getting all the attention one day. I thought it was jealousy. But I've been told border collies will do that, to try and get the child running so they can herd them. Luckily, the child belongs to a sheep dog family. And they know a nip is not a bite.

Advertisement