Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone been successful in skipping grades in public sector?

Options
  • 30-11-2022 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Has anyone jumped from a Grade III (CO) to a Grade V (Staff Officer) in the public service or analogous grades in the civil service? If so, how did you succeed in doing this? Did you pay for interview help? Was there something on your CV that made you stand out? A previous job etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Spideoige

HR Departments will try to sell that it's possible for anyone to skip a grade or more if they put their mind to it however it would be very difficult for a person who draws only their experience at grade 3 level to demonstrate competency for grade 5 which is considered a management level role. I am only aware of people who have jumped grades where they were working previously in the private sector and could sell their management experience to an interview board. I personally don't believe that anyone should be paying for interview help, try find people who are doing the role you want and ask for their experience and how they got their role.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I knew a guy who went from CO to HEO to AP in 18 months.

He did it on the open competitions. Stayed in thr same department

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭DEW138

I just got onto the panel for grade VI,being grade III. Its on national specific panel, but the job I love. I got expression of interest for few permanent positions, however its a long drive from home. Debating with my family is it worth taking it. But yes, its possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,360 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I know a few people who have gone from CO to HEO

I know 2 who went direct from EO to AP

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

I went from CO to HEO, and have since been promoted to AP.

The key is to understand each competency and seek out opportunities to address them. Easier said than done I know, but it can be done.

There are certain areas of work that can propel you to the higher grade. Policy development is one, Procurement and Risk management are others.

if you can show how you contribute to or drive strategic change within your organisation, you can succeed.

Post edited by Aladdin Sane on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 The Headwind

This sums it up very well. All about meeting the competencies. I know of two EOs who were successful in internal AP competitions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Yes, this is possible if there happens to be a lot of people retiring or moving around in your department, unit etc. I know a few Grade Vs and VIs that have been promoted to APO, but they worked above and beyond their grade for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CW2022

@alladinsane well done that’s impressive

Advertisement