Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric bike

Options
  • 30-11-2022 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I am thinking of getting an electric bike,so I get exercise going and coming from work,as I am truck driver

10kms to work,no steep hills,budget 1,000 to 1,500.what type ie voltage etc,is it worth doing the bike scheme?

Thanks in advance

Best Answer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what cube? my wife has a cube touring 400 and loves it.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Bike to work will contribute 1500 towards the upfront cost of an ebike.

Not sure if this is your total budget, or if the 1000 to 1500 is on top of that?

1500 will get you a perfectly usable middle-of-the-road ebike that will be ideal for commuting, fitted with rack, mudguards etc.

Plenty of options out there and plenty of reputable sellers; not sure where you are based, so hit the google-iser button?

If your budget is in addition to the 1500 btw allowance, you are in the realm of great bikes with either Yamaha or Bosch power, with ranges exceeding 100+ kms between charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Pod123

Total budget is 1500 max

My advice (I work in a bike shop) is, if you are not in a hurry, hold tough til january and bag a bargain.

Most bike shops will be quiet then, after the Christmas rush (some may even have sales) and anyone walking into a bike shop with cash can drive a hard bargain and will be treated like royalty.

Your budget may only stretch to a hub-driven bike (as opposed to mid-drive), so do some online homework as to what you want from the bike and whittle your options down from there.

There are literally hundreds of ebike models available, in dozens of styles, so only you can decide what works best for you. Check online reviews of bikes (and the sellers) and go from there.

I could tell you where I work, and what I have in stock, but that would be seen as unsanctioned advertising and I'd be taken outside and shot by the mods. :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, it's not a great time to start cycling when the evenings are continuing to darken; you'll find it easier to get into the swing of it as we pass that and things start to get brighter.

8valve is based in the southeast so if that's the end of the world you're in, you'd be highly recommended to PM him to find out exactly where he is!

I test cycled afew e bikes to day and I liked the cube,just wondering are they a good bike at a tag of 2,500,I don't want to go wrong, as I also looked at the raleigh arra,but the dealership is further away.

Thanks I'm advance

• Advertisement

Yes, CUBE are a well known, reputable brand, fitted with decent quality components etc.

Plus, they'll have a decent 2 year warranty, and possibly a 5 year/1000 charging cycles battery warranty, but the bike shop can confirm these for you.

If you are happy with the shop that's selling, drive on and best of luck with the new bike.

Unfortunately, Raleigh nowadays bears little to no relation to the world dominating bicycle company they once were; the Nottingham factory no longer exists and the name was sold off years ago. I'm not even sure where they are made nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I’ve 30,000km on a cube ebike with a Bosch system if that helps. The bike manufacturer doesn’t mean a lot, they’re all built in Taiwan broadly to the same standards. Its all about comfort, spec and price in my opinion.

The type is a cube touring,the first shop was recommended but had two brands,the second let me cycle 6 different makes to see the difference explained the difference between them,

Thanks for all the replies,will buy the cube in January, and will let ye know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Good choice , and we’ll worth stretching the budget,

I assume you’re not going to get specific cycling apparel, (no need on an bike ) but consider getting some suitable loose clothes in LOUD bright colours in the mean time for visibility and comfort when our on the roads . However padded cycling shorts hidden under your trousers would be a help if you start going on longer spins , which I’ve no doubt you will when the weather and daylight improves . Enjoy !

just worth mentioning - the cube is a good chunky bike, which my wife got as part of her use of it is cycling out to the stables carrying horseriding gear. you may not need something as chunky, but most e-bikes are going to be 'sturdy' anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Just be sure you understand the government cycle to work scheme correctly. You don't get a free 1500 towards a bike if your choice, what you get is tax relief at your usual rate on the first 1500 of any spend on a bike. You get no help with any spend over and above that first 1500.

You can also be goosed if your employer is simply not willing to entertain the Cycle to Work scheme - there's no compulsion on any employer to work with it unfortunately (and many don't).

Thanks yes the company does the bike scheme.

Hi all

Just given an update,I had to go to my gp as I was getting breathless after a short walk,got all tests done on heart including

Stress test,all clear,but I have high blood pressure and cholesterol so advised to get these under control first,then hopefully come summer we can buy,at the moment I am swimming.

Will keep ye posted.

Advertisement