Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 Grassroots enduro series

Options
  • 01-12-2022 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭

Though I would start a thread for the 2023 Grassroots enduro series.

The date's and venues were announced recently for the GR series.

I'm reasonably new to Mountain biking but done some of the grassroots last year and really enjoyed them. I see that there is 5 rounds for 2023 and some new venues as well.

I'd love to hear some people's thoughts on the new venue's and some of the tracks that might be used as well.

I believe that they have increased the entries to 240 where venues can manage the numbers allowing for parking etc. This might help with with with trying to actually get an entry to do the race.

I also hear that where a venue have the track and logistics allows, they can have a 4th stage.

I would hope to do a few if not all of them, anyone else planning to do any of them.

Post edited by Ceepo on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Double post for some reason

Having started a thread about it, and getting lots of encouragement on here, I'm hoping to give it a shot in the new year. Never raced on the bike before so it'll be an experience. Hope to enter Killaloe and depending on how that goes I might do more or i might sell the bike 😅

Any idea when entries open, and do they usually sell out quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

As I didn't want to highjack your original thread I said I'd start a specific one🤔😂

Last year (from memory) they opened 2 or 3 weeks before each individual event. Out of the 4 events last year 3 of them sold out in minutes or even less than that. With only Ballinaboola taking a bit longer to sell out. But Ballinaboola did have extra places so that's probably the reason. For 2023, there will be extra places where venues can accommodate them and with an extra race this might help with to alleviate some of the stress of entering.

I definitely think you should give them a go. From my limit expectations and also a newbie, It's a very relaxed and encouraging atmosphere, nobody really cares if your slow or quick, or how much your bike cost.

I actually meant to update on here after last weekends 1st round in Killaloe.

I'll start off by saying I'm fairly new to mountain biking and had a nasty crash at Xmas, which had me off the bike for 8 weeks, so the confidence was low and the nerves were high.

Parking was straight forward and only across from the wood entrance, a short peddle up to race reg. There was a bit if a que forming there, but some of the marshals came down through the que with a printed name/number sheet, and went back to collect the numbers. This helped to speed things up a bit. Next stop, get the timing chip thingy.

I was with 2 mates so we headed to run 1. I have to say the views on the way up were stunning. There was a bit of a push up to the start, but no real que there, about 5/6 in front of us. That lads are way better that me so off they went before me. Top section was rocky and lot's roots, took a while to for me to relax, started to loosen out after a bit, but wasn't carrying much speed. Trails were greasy and wet which didn't help my confidence. We crossed a fire road and went over a bit of a rock slab that caught a lot of people out, thankfully I had no dramas.

On to No2, again a push up to it, (I hate pushing up. The top again was very slippy and slow for me. I did get going after about 200m, and felt I was going well (for me) passed the 50m to finish sign and had a front wheel wash out, nothing major, picked myself up and dusted myself off and went over the line.

On to no3. Again another push up. Did I mention I don't like pushing up hill. Not much of a que so got going fairly quickly. Pushed off and couldn't get clipped in for and 150m, even after multiple attempts. Eventually got clipped in and could finally focus on the track and not my pedal. There was a some steep sections on this track with a nice steep drop down over rocks, but there was an option to go around it. Thankfully no drama on the one either.

Run no4. Short transition to it and a short track. I think it was only about 400m. I got to see Oisin O Callaghan dropping in. Man that lad can move. Nice track and felt I done ok on it. (for me).

Met up with my mates for a bit of chin wag to see what the plan was. We decided to do no 2 again as we felt this is one we could go a little quicker on, and no4 as this was easy enough to get to and was short. I feel I was a bit quicker on no2, but not no4, but it was a fun little track.

Ended up with about 20k on the clock and about 1000m of climbing.

A very enjoyable day out with no real dramatics. Few sketchy moments alright but sure that's mountain biking I suppose. I'd so add that the tracks were definitely on the harder side of Grassroots but I'm sure the weather added to that. They were all rated 5/5, with some steep enough sections on them. But as is I saying it was a good day out. Unfortunately I won't be going to the next round.

My next one for me will be in Clonmel on 21st May. Really looking forward to that one.

Credit to Lmbc for the organisation, everything seemed to run smoothly from what I can tell. Always a sign that there was serious work done in the back ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Nice write up. Never made it myself and won't be doing mullaghmean either but hopefully will get in for the clonmel one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Good job, Killaloe is always that bit more full-on and not for the faint-hearted.

I didn't realise that it was a bit more full on tb. Now I'm not really complaining either. I'd much prefer the more natural stuff that the trail center trails tbh. I'd like to think that I'll make it back up there again over the summer months for another spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Yeah, keeper hill is worth checking out if you're in that neck of the woods also. Not as steep as Killaloe but some great trails. The Limerick lads know what they're at with trailbuilding.

I have actually been there a few times., including the grassroots last year, Definitely not as steep, and as you say, very well built trails. Nasty push up there as well though 🤣.

Have you been to Clonmel?

Well I didn't end up going today away, and boy am I fair glad too. I was chatting to a few lads and seen some videos and pictures from there. Mudfest is a word some would use to describe it. Seen lads having to lift bikes through sections of trail. There saying that the mud actually clogged up there wheels, and had to stop and try clear it out. One of the lads ripped of his mudguard in temper 🤣.

Did anyone from these parts go?

• Advertisement

One of the girls from our club went. She did not enjoy it one iota! She almost gave up after stage 1 but finished it out and got on the podium.

Stage 3 in particular was awful with loads having to carry the bike for a good section at the end due to all the muck clogged in the wheels. I had a feeling this was going to be a shite venue to be honest.

Or really why did you think that.? I'm sure the rain yesterday evening didn't help the cause. That said the ground mustn't be good there

I see that entries are going on sale on Monday 1st May for the next round in Clonmel on the 21 May.

Anyone from these parts planning to take part?

As these are my local trails I'm really looking forward to the event. I know I wouldn't get a full days riding in as I'll be helping out on the day, but should get in all 3 stages once anyway.

Happy to answer a few questions if anyone has any.

Entries for Clonmel see out in just a few minutes.

Did anyone form these parts get one?

Yeah, got in alright. Never been down that neck of the woods so unchartered territory!

Ceepo, where exactly are the trails, cannonhill?

That's great that you got in. I k ow of a few locally that missed out.

If you're planning a trip down before the race, I'd be glad to show you around.

To be honest there are loads of trails there. You could probably give the full day there and not ride the same trail twice. The trails that being used for the race are at the Russsletown side of the hill. Carey's Castle Forest Recreational Area

There is a few options for parking as well. You can park in the Careys Castle car park, as its fairly central to all the trails. The trails being used are "Full Trottle" "Thunderstruck" and a modified version of "Two Cats"

Sorry I was trying to give you a pin drop but I can't seem to do it on here.

There is a nice little edit clip of the trails on Clonmel mbt IG page.

That's great info, thanks very much Ceepo. I'm not sure if I can get down before the actual enduro but very kind of you to offer, thanks. If I do manage to get down I'll let you know and if you're free that would be great 👍

@Ceepo What are the trails like in general for the enduro? Steep/gnarly, fast/flowy etc?

Tight and techy would be the most accurate description I'd say. Very little in the way of gnarly stuff. Small bit yankkey in places but thats to be expected. It could also suit the more physical and fitter rider more so that some one doing that only used of shorter runs. You would comfortably do all in less that 2hrs.

Brief description,

Full Trottle is 1.42km 180m elevation. KOM is 3.47 There is an open section towards the end that you can get in some pedals if you want to make time, "Bastard cat" (don't ask😂) is the shortest at 650m KOM is around 3 minutes. But that time will get blown out of it by the fast guys, especially if it dry. If its wet, the bottom 2 section is quite rooty, so that could be fun😂. "Thunderstruck" about 1.2k long, is a really fun trail. The top section "Cannonball run" Very small bit of bike park stuff in it, small jump that you can double, into a nice big double into a shark fin, big burm, into small double, that you have to scrub speed of before you go back into the trees as there's a drop into it, that's class, but if you're going to fast, the picture will be great to look at after 😂. The bottom section can get tricky in the wet also. There is a few nice little drops but everything is very rollable between all the trails.

There will be so snake little lines that may not be seen too. Most of it is straight forward, just follow the trail, however there may be parts of some of the trails that will be tape wide where they can, so there might be a option of two

Excellent, sounds very good! Looking forward to this if I can make it. Had a small procedure done to knee today and they said 2 weeks before I can get back on the bike, which is the enduro!

• Advertisement

Thats not ideal really. Hopefully you'll be back in time..

Really looking forward to Sundays race. I was up there today to do some taping and bits and bobs. The trails look to be on absolutely mint condition.

We did have to take out a few timber features on Saturday, apparently some Karen reported them to Coiltte, bit of a panic as he wouldn't issue the permit until they were removed.

Forecast is also looking good. So hopefully everyone has a great day out.

Here is a link to a little video clip that one of our club members done for the Grassroots enduro race held by Clonmel mountain bike club.

I hope you can get a sense of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭prunudo

Good voice for av work. Looks like a great day.

Yeah he came across very well. That was the former chairman, he kinda got land with the voice over thing and done it on the fly.

Interesting to see that Dree is going to be held over two day's this year. Serious logistics in doing that I'd imagine. Fair play to them

https://www.facebook.com/100063634089933/posts/pfbid02wMWKRc9uHcgQv9KhJweoHPWVWvzsJv7YtpgXm9SdCW4dmKJXB2AgcgvJCn1gqGeVl/

Entries for Bree are on sale at the moment

Got an entry, looking forward to it, I've never been to bree.

Also managed to get an entry, also never been there before.

Fair play to Bree MTB Wexford for giving up their time and energy to do this over 2 days and allow a heap more people to enter as a result. Not sure I'll make it, but at least i have the entry done now so step 1 is complete at least.

• Advertisement

Good stuff. Bree is a great place. I've been there a few times. All the trails start and finish in the same place. And the climb isn't that bad really.

I've got an entry for Saturday myself. Should be a good weekend down there.

Advertisement