Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gypsies

Options
  • 01-12-2022 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience of researching gypsies? I spoke to an English lady a few years ago and she told me what she knew about her family in the UK and she asked me to find out what I could about her parents/siblings and said the family had been gypsies. I thought there may not be much in the way of records as at the time of the birth of her parents around 1906, and her and her siblings in the 1930's, 40's, and 50's gypsy families would have moved around a bit and I wondered if there would be any census records at all. However, I found them all and gave her all the information. I questioned if they were really gypsies as her parents had jobs and addresses and she said that was what she was told by her sister, who had been told by someone else. As I don't really know anything about gypsies in the UK or anywhere perhaps someone could confirm if gypsies were a settled community at that time in the UK? I don't think they would have been settled here in Ireland.

Advertisement