Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine Bear - Yes, That's the Title

Options
  • 01-12-2022 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭

Loosely based on the true story of a bear that overdosed on 30KG+ of cocaine from a plane that crash-landed in Georgia, US. In this story however, the bear survives and goes on a drug fuelled rampage. Directed by Elizabeth Banks for some reason, and features Keri Russell, Alden Ehrenreich, O’Shea Jackson Jr, Margo Martindale, and Ray Liotta - this is the last film he completed before his death.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

**** this lads im going back to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Had to be a black bear didn't it. just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

TikTok star Scott Seiss in the opening bits of the trailer - if you haven't seen them check out his "working in Ikea" skits, they're a lot better than this film is likely to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭setanta1000

Filmed a large portion of this in Wicklow apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

I saw the trailer and it looks hilarious, be warned however, it's 'one of those trailers' that are just plot recaps full of spoilers and include every funny joke in the movie. It's rare that a trailer cracks me up these days and the title alone tickles my funny bone. The movie looks entertaining enough ..'under the right circumstances'.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Here is the sequel a Bear tripping balls on Mad Honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

Looks utterly outrageous but anything with Keri Russell in it gets my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭p to the e

Esteemed character actress Margo Martindale

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Muller1991

That looks unBEARable . . . . I'll grab my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, various locations in and around the Avonmore Way and Vale of Clara nature reserve. I accidentally stumbled across them clearing up after filming back in 2021 when I was walking the trail, and asked the crew what they were filming.

What initially caught my attention was a large brown waste bin with a stencil of a bear paw and the words BEAR AWARE on it, which I wasn't expecting.

The true story behind this is actually quite different, and the bear seems to have actually died a very painful death due to multiple organ failure after ingesting very large amounts of cocaine. He was subsequently stuffed and put on display. Just google "cocaine bear true story" and you'll find more info.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That looks like it could either be a total hoot, or too Try Hard to work. Elizabeth Banks directing is the most surprising part of this; if she's genuinely stoked for the material or part of some pathway going on. Doesn't immediately strike as a "one for them" kind of film.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Pablo Eskobear 

I kinda see Slither and Lake Placid comedy vibes with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is beginning to have a bit of a Snakes On a Plane vibe from what I've seen online; increasing, crazy viral hype that'll flat line when the movie is merely OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

My local doesn't have self service ticketing.

"One for Cocaine Bear please".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Sounds like a great idea for a title, but not so much for a whole movie.

If this song isn't on the soundtrack, then the film will have failed to hit a very low bar IMO:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I must admit, the trailer did make me laugh. But more of a "WTF am I watching?" There are people who could make this entertaining (Thinking old-school James Gunn) but, TBH, I think in this case, the novelty would wear off quite quickly.

As for the title: Yeah, bit of a "Snakes on a Plane" thing

Some clips have surfaced of this; looks like it knows the level it's operating at, I'll leave it to others to decide if they like that energy level!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I could see the film doing well, mainly with under 25s, it was a cheap enough movie and there isnt much in the cinema

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Gonna go see it on Friday, if nothing else it looks like there's a few laughs involved.

It cannot take itself seriously right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Well, I really enjoyed it. It's total slapstick nonsense but it's highly entertaining and self-aware. It is more or less a full blown comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Closer to jaws than snakes on a plane but a very enjoyable 80 minute movie, absolutely watch after a couple of cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Just out of it. Completely unhinged. It's my new favourite film.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jobrien874ie

Gonna go see it tomrw looks class :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Seriously, I would 100% go to this again today if I didn't have plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I know I'm going against the prevailing sentiments here in the thread, but I went to see it last night and I have to say I thought it was kinda crap.

Don't get me wrong I wasn't expecting high art, or art of any description - but it didn't really work for me even as a knowningly witless and intentionally dumb movie.

I laughed a few times, but, really, honestly, not that many. For a movie with such a ridiculous premise it was surprisingly tame I thought. Takes ages to get going, way too many characters and I thought a lot of the beats and timing of the jokes were off or didn't fully land. It felt kinda amatuerish and rushed. I was bored for stretches of it - it was neither schlocky enough to really get behind, or thoroughly nasty enough to enjoy on that level.

I did get a laugh out of some of the unmistakably Irish looking locations masquerading as the American South and the ambulance sequence is pretty good, but the movie doesn't have the energy from that sequence running through it the whole time.

I'm not trying to be snooty. I love a good stupid movie and I did pay money to see this, so I knew what to expect - but it just didn't really deliver for me. The audience in the cinema with me weren't in stitches either, there were laughs, but it wasn't bringing the house down, so I'm a bit surprised that people are so ecstatic about it, but, if you had a good time at it, then that's all that really matters I guess!

Just watching on Sky, was the cast of The Americans only available

• Advertisement

Just watching on Sky, was the cast of The Americans only available

Advertisement