Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download Festival 2023

Options
  • 01-12-2022 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭

I didn't see a Download thread.

Anyone going over? I got 5 day camping and not sure how my late 30s corpse will handle it. But figured 4 days, post COVID and more than likely my last proper festival. My friend is driving, so should be an experience overall!

The lineup looks pretty decent and seems a good few more to be added:

Confirmed acts so far are: Bring Me The Horizon, Metallica, Slipknot, Architects, Alexisonfire, The Distillers, Disturbed, Evanescence, Ghost, I Prevail, Parkway Drive, Pendulum, Placebo, Simple Plan, Within Temptation, As December Falls, Asking Alexandria, Aviva, Bambie Thug, Beauty School Dropout, Behemoth, Blackgold, Blind Channel, Bloodywood, Brutus, Crashface, Crawlers, Dead Sara, Elvana, Enola Gay, Fever 333, Fixation, Graphic Nature, GWAR, Hawxx, Ingested, I Prevail, Jazmin Bean, Kid Bookie, Kid Kapichi, Lake Malice, Lorna Shore, Mod Sun, Monuments, Motionless In White, Municipal Waste, nothing, nowhere., Nova Twins, Polaris, Pupil Slicer, Seether, Set It Off, SiM, Simple Plan, Soen, Soul Glo, Stand Atlantic, Stray From The Path, Taylor Acorn, The Blackout, The Distillers, The Meffs, Terror, Three Days Grace, Touche Amore, VV, Witch Fever.

Exited for GWAR! Guarantee all the bands I want to see will clash! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Probably the best bill they've put together in recent years in fairness although does rely on being a bit top heavy, acts lower down aren't up to a whole lot with a few exceptions like Brutus and Gwar.

For €400 I mean it's still value when you break it down but not when comparable to what's available elsewhere imo.

Make no mistake though the major selling point here is Metallica returning to Donington after a decades absence and they tell sales seem to be moving the quickest in some time to reflect that which underlines their importance to the big rock festival in England afterall Sonisphere was never able to persist a year without either them or Maiden on the bill.

If someone intended travelling to see Metallica here just might be the most reliable after what they have announced as planned. I just hope people are very much combining with a city break on some of those Ajax stadium well known for being well shoddy for gigs and even newer stadiums in Poland and particularly the new Atletico stadium in Madrid only need to look at reviews of concerts in those to know it may not be the wisest investment either.

I'm not sure I'd hack the camping now either but doing Graspop for a good number of years and if there a few of ye booking an official accommodation there works out very reasonable unlike the insanely expensive non camping product offered by Download. Kitchen facilities, A bathroom you don't have to queue for and a semi decent bed make for a much more manageable affair on these aging bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

This seems like a right Sh1tshow there this year.

Regular Joes missed flights from EMA after the floods of traffic from revellers blocked them from getting there an everything, not good.

Having seen that first Metallica setlist would've been underwhelming apart from the 3 new numbers the only song I haven't seen them play was Day that Never Comes, missable. Few bands getting cut off for slightly running over I saw. They have a curfew opening at 12 opposed to the usual 11 is hardly productive and another way of cheaping out scrapping 3 bands a day there immediately.

Don't know if some of the stories are exaggerated but just aswell there wasn't the added downpour that has plagued previous editions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I went to every Donington from 1985 through to 2006, wouldn't dream of going there now, it's just too fcukin big and corporate

How many bands played over this weekend? Over 150? Sorting out the clashes alone would finish me off, nevermind the trek from stage to stage and then back to campsite

You really couldnt beat the old Monsters of Rock, 75,000 every year, 1 stage, had to be a true monster of rock just to get on the bill, we found our spot and sat there, going down front or to the bar whenever.

And as for that Copping fella, i just cant stand him, something about him makes me squirm

Advertisement