Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving from Continent to Ireland via UK & customs

• 01-12-2022 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭

Hi, a family member is moving from Netherlands back to Ireland. The Irish registered car will have personal contents from their apartment and maybe some household decorations newly purchased in NL. I found info that goods to the value of £390 can be brought into the UK per person https://brexitlegal.ie/travellers-information/.

Has anyone recent experience of driving through GB from the continent and then onto Ireland? The car will be visibly packed with packing boxes. Were you delayed by UK customs? Cherbourg is an option but not first choice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Vic_08

In case you were unaware DFDS run a direct ferry from Dunkirk - Rosslare, it is about 22hours long but avoids a long drive through France or UK and obviously UK brexit nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭granturismo

Thanks. in November, DFDS didnt have a 2023 schedule up online so I discounted them. I rang them last week, they are taking car bookings for January but they dont know yet if they are taking cars in February or the remainder of 2023. Car prices are approx €400 for January with up to 4 passengers, berth and food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭granturismo

I went with DFDS from Dunkirk in late Feb. Price included 4 meals, breakfast was ok, the other meals were a bit stodgy, fish was ok. Cabins werent much different from Stena, just a bit older. For me Cherbourg was another 5 hours drive, If I had a second driver, I would go from Cherbourg next time. Irish ferries were €50 more expensive and no food included, but are cheaper than DFDS in March.

Advertisement