Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Installing a EV charger using existing garden power supply.

Options
  • 01-12-2022 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I just bought a second hand Leaf (2016, 24kwh batt) and I’m working out how to charge it going forward. It comes with two cables including a ‘granny’ cable which will work off a regular socket - so I’m not stuck for the moment.

I was offered a 16A wall charger from 2011 and I’m wondering Is this still a good option? 

Since we just rendered the house I’m reluctant to drill for a new cable. My main question is whether this unit will work using the garden power which is already there. There is a 5-core steel armoured cable currently supplying a garden socket and a LED bricklight. The socket runs to it’s own mcb in the consumer unit inside, and the light goes to a plug which connects to a smart plug with it’s own dedicated mcb. I was thinking the lives and neutrals of the 5-core cable could be combined if necessary to supply extra current to the charger. So 2 x 2.5mm core cables on a 10m run. I’d put the sockets and light on a spur off this run. 

I’ll be getting an electrician to wire it up, just though I’d put this out there in case people have other solutions and to know if this sounds feasible.  

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

It looks like it would be OK to use the existing setup with the charger, but you won't be charging at the full speed if the Leaf has a 6.6OBC. Of course, have the leccy check it out first.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭VikingG

I suppose the question is if the cabling and mcb are rated for 16A continuous load.... 2.5mm squared cable should be fine from what I know but I'm not a spark.

however if in the future you wanted to upgrade to 7Kw I dont think that cable will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

Sounds doable but 10m might be a bit long of a run for the 2.5mm and may require 4mm. Only a Sparks can say for sure. Personally if they were going to have to run a new cable anyway, I'd go for 6mm to future-proof myself.

The 16A charger should be fine for overnight charging.

Did you apply for the grant for it? The 'dumb' chargers are still covered at the moment but if you haven't applied get it done sooner rather than later as they won't be covered for much longer.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

Sorry to piggyback but have a related query.

Am laying the cable for the electrician to install a zappi. He asked for 6sq armoured. It's about a 30m run.

Does 6sq sound correct?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes. Standard for any 32a install.

Just make sure he knows it’s a 30m run as the voltage drop might require a bigger cable. But RECI will confirm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement