Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone mobile broadband

Options
  • 01-12-2022 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has the above? Basically Im in the final stages of building a house and should be moved in in the next couple of weeks. Im working remotely so need decentish BB. Where the house is located is on the NBI rollout plan with anticipated installation between December and February (subject to change, blah blah blah). Its a pain because currently FTTH connections stop about 50 meters from the house but what can you do. My parents live close by and the only decent coverage they could get was with imagine however their offering is capped at 1tb a month, is 60 quid a month and is an 18 month contract, eff that. I need a stop gap measure and the VF mobile option is a 12 month contract @ 35 for 6 months then 45 for 6 months. Id be happy enough to buy out of the contract when the time comes. Basing it on my smart phone, within the house i have full 4g coverage and no issues so thats why Im thinking this could be an option. I have an office built in the garage which is detached from the house however we do have Cat 6 cabling running throughout the house incl the garage. Is it any use? For work I wouldnt be using huge capactity, mainly MS teams calls and occasional file downloads. For domestic use all we really have is an android box and the likes of Disney plus, dont need capactity for online gaming or anything of that nature. Anyone got any experieces? I will ring them in the morning anyway and see about a trial / cooling off period but if anyone could give me a steer in advance of that Id appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

VF contract: 35x6=210 + 45x6=270 ....total = 480

or

Unlocked router Huawei B818 from CEX (used) ~100 + 20x13** = ~360

Should you need to improve signal - external antenna + ~120 + tails ~15

** €20 PAYG every 28 d = 13 month, from Three (providing Three 4G coverage in the area)

As router unlocked - any ISP would do

Other options might be available/should be considered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I don't know if they still do it but in the past Vodafone allowed you move from MBB to fixed line without fees if you were staying with them. I'm not sure if they still do that but would be worth asking.

Smugglers suggestion is good too if 3 service is good at the address too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Spoke with a chap from VF and he suggested doing a speed test in different parts of the house. Below are the results from a couple of minutes ago.

Assume that would do the job for me for the time being? I've checked it a couple of times over the last 2 days and the best DL speeds were over 150 with the worst around 50. The good news is that the boys from NBI were on the road on Friday laying the underground cabling so hopefully it won't be too long before it's ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

UL seam low, but i guess with router (perhaps locking on B3) would solve this

Should you choose to get 4G / 5G router , find what direction your local mobile mast is located - place router on the window on that side of property.

https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/#explore

Advertisement