Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovation & Extension (we have planning) - Where to start?

Options
  • 01-12-2022 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

So we have planning to extend our 1940's bungalow from 120sqm to 160sqm and we'll also renovate the house

• swap suspended floor to concrete w/underfloor heating
    • add air to water heating
    • add solar
    • add MVHR
    • partial external wrap
    • build extension
    • add 2 bathrooms
    • new sewerage
    • swap out some windows
    • remove chimney
    • new kitchen

We won't be doing anything ourselves so my question is, who do I look for first?

A QS to capture everything required and take that BOQ to give to contractors

Go directly to builders for quotes?

A one stop shop

I'm just wondering where the best professional fees could be spent that would give us clarity around the total cost (as our budget is not infinite) and possibly to manage the build so costs and the build brief is managed. Sorry if that comes across confused because it reflects my mindset.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Middleage Fanclub

a friendly bump

So after a bit of research, I'm thinking we need someone to draw up tender documents, to include construction drawings and a Bill of Quantities and with these, send out to building contractors for quotes.

So who is the best placed to draw up these tender documents and do we need to keep them involved to 'oversee' the contractor?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭blackbox

I think you need at least need QS - I assume you used an architect to draw up the design for planning.

Before you engage one you should write down as much detail as you can of what exactly you want - don't hope that someone will be able to read your thoughts!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Middleage Fanclub

No, not an architect, we used someone who specialized in planning applications, his drawings, that all went fine.

I can look for a QS but I'm assuming they won't provide construction drawings for the tender process. It almost feels like I need to go to an architecture practice to coordinate all this, although we don't need an architect and the fees that come with it to my mind.

Advertisement