Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comb overs

• 02-12-2022 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭

Why??

Do men think it looks good or do they really think they’re successfully hiding their baldness? I saw a guy in town with 4 strands of hair plastered down across his clearly bald head and it did neither.

Has there ever been a convincing comb over or one that looks good? The best one I can think of is Chevy Chase, maybe there are more convincing ones out there that I don’t notice but generally they look terrible … imo at least.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

They are way rarer these day and nobody other than the person thinks it looks OK. Even then they have had all the comments from people to be fully aware it doesn't work.

Had the principle go on about long hair in school and he got really mad when I pointed out his hair was actually longer than mine due to his comb over. He sent me home with a note to my mother because I was rude to him and disrespected him. She wrote back saying that "I understood you had spent 10 minutes berating my son over his appearance, which I approve of, when he pointed out how hypocritical you were with regard to your own long hair. I trust you understand that I have met you in person and agree with my son that your hair is longer than his but only in one spot where my son is consistent in his hair length and grades."

She actually hated my long hair but hates hypocrites way more

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

As long as people are happy let them at it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'd probably need to work up from the shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s, certainly, an odd choice. Especially when the “skullet” or Status Quo ponytail look is a much better option.

The combover, slapped across the scalp and weighed down with oils, is such an “old Ireland” look. It had its time but that time has passed, now that anyone can own their own barber’s razor.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Are they though? If they're trying to hide they're obvious baldness, I would argue they aren't that happy with themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

My buddy grew out a combover in his 20s for a laugh entering a DJ competition.

DJ Combover.

He won laughs, but not the DJ battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Bald is a good look.

Often wondered though how some bald guys get their heads shiny. No other part of your body gets like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I really loved Jesus and his bum buddy in the Big Lebowski, great character, loved him.

I will comb over when the option eventually becomes available. I look forward to it. Regrettably it might look ridiculous, but I won't give a phuck if I am alive and kicking. Bring it on please.

I can see myself waffling shight to some local bag lady near Busarás on a Tuesday morning. Wearing tweed trousers and a white cotton lined short with a black jackey. Scuffed sandels, telling her to " Google " something or other while pointing at my phone, she will just be looking me squinty eyed replying" I know sure its the Concorde Effect isn't it Lad?"

'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I always thought it starts out acceptable but gradually gets worse. Like when they start combing their hair that way it actually works but eventually it gets worse and worse to the point it's fooling nobody but they don't seem to realise/can't accept reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yes and no.

Not good if you have an odd shaped head and it's a mistake to think all guys are ok with that look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

TBH you rarely see it now, or at least that very obvious Bobby Charlton look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

I know someone who has a different perspective on trying to disguise his obvious baldness. He gets what he has left permed , thinks the fuzy hair hides the baldness better. Compared to oiled strands it is a better disguise but who really wants a head of public like hair 🤔

I have embraced mine, I have the parting sea type, so once a week I do back and sides with clipper on the lowest setting. Just used to it now, that other chap thinks I'm a brave man 🤣

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You dress the way you do because you believe it makes you look good, makes you feel comfortable and gives you the confidence to go out in public. They are no different to you and just like them there are people around you thinking the same way about you - that jacket you wore last week does not suit you, what possessed you to ever think those shoes look good with blue…. and so on. And just like you, they think their style is OK.

Live and let live, they think their combover is fine and you think your trainers are fine, you may have more in common than you think.

I’m from BallyMacMucksavage and I haven’t see a combover in the wild in about 15 years. Don’t think they exist anymore tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭BK5

Very rare to see an old school combover these days. We were on holidays last year and a young enough fella in his thirties set up on the sunbeds beside us with his family and he had grown the hair on both sides of his head out and it was brushed up and across till the hair met in the middle, a double combover if you will.

It didn't fool anyone but it got worse when he went into the pool with the kids, the structure collapsed, the hair just flopped down the sides of his head and when he got out it just looked like he had two fluffy horns sticking out of the sides of his head.

Too be honest I kind of felt sorry for the lad, he would have looked much better if he bit the bullet and just got the hair cut short.

I cannot wait to have one.

It will be great developing a cheeky wry smile when flicking it over while flirting with women that ought to know better.

Is virility linked to comb overs, are they mutually exclusive or can they develop in tandem? Like are combovers arousing to potential partners, platonic or otherwise. I am spending the rest of today finding one, for sure.

I wonder does the onset of baldness in elderly women facilitate the market for wigs and has this inadvertently promoted crossdressing and other more diverse sexual behaviours? Why do German, Swiss and Italian men look gorgeous and Celts and Saxons look like depraved cavemen polluting the planet in heavy goods vehicles? It cannot be down to the simple comb over.

What was that thing on Mikail Gorbachev's head? Was he the catalyst for contemporary evil or simply an over ambitious Communist who felt that Lavrentia Beria was the real reason Stalin existed? Beria had a comb over, no one said a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

There's not many that would say anything to Beria , bearing in mind his penchant for killing and fcuking everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A weird phenomenon.

The last younger person / non auld fella I saw whom I knew with one was 20 years ago, I worked with two they looked ridiculous. One of the lads was greyhound thin, red hair, pale skin.. a 70 year old in a 25 year olds skin, auld fellas dress sense, everything….in the summer he’d have under the red combover, red raw skin because of the sun, he wouldn’t wear a hat. Complete lobster head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Have a comb over, my father & uncle had comb overs. One grandfather had a comb over.

Not under any illusion that it's hides baldness and couldn't care a hoot if anyone else finds it odd. I don't like baldy heads, so it takes the bare look off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭Xander10

Comb overs are never a fetching look. But likewise, Bill Bailey's non comb over is equally naff

Just shave it all off. Although some can rock the look better than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I blame the wide availability of beard trimmers. Too many Action Men floating around looking like Hawk from Buck Rogers.

It's scary.

Was about to drop some mild misogyny just now... ah phuck it I will, .... why did women scoff at the comb over and subsequentially gurn around winking at each other when it came to the Savalas taking over? That is either blatantly inconsistent or inconsistently blatant, surely?

It's a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ah, the auld comb-over.

AKA the canal hairstyle - lock to lock.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Saw a guy with one lately, id say he was only around 25, looked awful. like just shave it off, most people look good with a shaved head I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

As messed up and crazy as it sounds, those who go outside their house with comb overs have yet to accept they are bald.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Good on them. I like their don't give a feck attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭boardlady

I have an uncle with a combover. Granted, he's in his 80s so it sort of 'fits'. And he actually gets away with it - until the wind blows it awry.

I always used to mock my husband that he could just grow the eyebrows and comb them up. He's major bald now but its fitting with his age. I think that's the key. Combover in your later years is almost acceptable, but if you're in your 20s ... time to reconsider your options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Combover in your 20's is surely akin to killing animals as a child. 100% chance of serial killer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭boardlady

Surprises me too - but there's definitely one mention there above .. Honestly, for a man, to be bald so young must be tough.

Advertisement