Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin style doughnuts

• 02-12-2022 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

Is there anywhere else in the country that does Dublin style doughnuts?

The bakery on meath street does them, and Johnston Mooney n O'Brien used to.

Or would anyone have a recipe for them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What are Dublin stye doughnuts, when they are at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Yeah I've never heard of a Dublin style doughnut! But then again, I'm from Dublin, so maybe we just call them doughnuts...

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Esho

They have the texture more like a sweet bread, instead of the white very refined dough you get in tesco or Superquinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I'm lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Me too what's the point of doughnuts, getting high?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Offbeat or Rolling Doughnut which gets your vote?

Aungier Danger did cracking doughnuts- pity they closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

Have you ever tried making doughnuts? Just as an experiment to see if the texture of one you make is like what you are looking for, I agree that the Supervalu doughnuts especially are very strange consistency, light but fierce chewy/gummy, I'd like to hear Paul Hollywood's opinion of them, under proofed or under baked or something! Just not right.

I don't make them very often as I eat too many so safer to buy the occasional one but I use Gordon Ramsay yeast doughnut recipe, he does have another recipe without yeast but to me any of the yeast free/cake doughnut recipes are just not doughnuts but you might discover that is actually the type you like so maybe try both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

When I were a nipper...long time ago now!

...A "doughnut" was literally a ball of bread dough. Same as if you took a clump of the raw dough from baking a loaf;

These were deep fried (I assume, I was a kid, I just saw the result) and they turned a rich caramelised brown, which was dipped in caster sugar.

The sugar mingled with the residual oil (or lard!) on the surface, forming a sweet crunchy crust; a blob of red jam was dabbed onto the outside.

They were sold in every bakery and grocery, cheap, tasty and filling. The inside did retain a firm, plain, bread-y quality, but the contrast with the supersweet crunchy brown outside was very good. Impossible to eat without making a sweet, delicious mess!

This was in Dublin and also, I'm sure, in Meath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Adding for clarity...this makes a BALL-shaped doughnut, not a ring. No hole in the middle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Esho

Great thanks for that. Yes, i reckon these have yeast in them. I'll try that recipe.

Advertisement