Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TG4 HD on Saorview

• 02-12-2022 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

Great to see, just shared by TG4 on Twitter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^

Great! Had to manually rescan and renumber on my LG TV

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭lgs 4

We can all watch Opry Le Daniel in HD now .Nice see its in HD . No rush lads .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I love the Friday night Western on TG4, looking forward to seeing it in HD

An Western:The Return of Frank James (1940)

21:35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Will be great for the GAA BEO.

Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭lgs 4

I wonder if Saorsat TG 4 is gone HD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

No, still in SD.

This photo gave me a laugh, shared by TG4 on Twitter 🤠

No doubt virgin will be following suit to upgrade their appalling picture quality 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

That DOG is too bright I cant have it burning into screen. Hope the hurling is better today, and it was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Mav11

Just watching the rugby, big improvement, long overdue!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

great to see. i turned it on last night no retune required and the picture is like chalk and cheese compared to the old SD quality. wont hold my breath for VM..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Great news, why didnt it happen around 5 years ago ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It seems extra funding pushed through by the government was the reason TG4 went HD. It is not full HD but close to it. Big improvement in the picture quality. Id say it will be most noticeable for hurling games. It will definitely draw more of an audience for certain especially ones being simulcast by Premier Sports.

Huge improvement for the live sport anyway it has to be said. Virgin Media obviously want to keep HD limited to subscription service like their own obviously. It's actually impossible to watch sport on their channels. Thank god they didn't get any of the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ITV2

I usually watch ITV1 for itv content, VM picture quality is dreadful.

Post edited by ITV2 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

Pity Virgin Media aren't actually copying TG 4 and putting their channels in HD on Saorview. I actually had to double check and indeed TG 4 was the first of the Irish channels to go HD. Funny, I was convinced RTÉ did first, then TG 4 shortly after.

yes but it was HD on sky not very irish friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭NorthDown2

I welcome the change to HD for TG4. However, can anyone tell me - is the 1440×1080 resolution of the picture the reason why the picture appears 'cropped' compared to SD TG4 from Freeview in Northern Ireland. The DOG is much smaller in SD NI (and further into the centre) and there is more picture to see at the left and right compared to the HD Saorview picture. When it was lo resolution SD on Saorview I noticed no difference in the picture transmitted by the two systems, but the HD picture is definitely cropped compared to SD. Can anyone tell me how HD picture from Saorview compared to HD Sky picture - any cropping?

• Advertisement

All of the above could depend on how you have your system setup. Are you receiving on a tv and is resolution set to Auto? I use a satellite receiver with a dtt tuner and the box is set to output native resolution. Just now there is a 4:3 programme so I have bars down the left and right but that is the correct resolution. When its HD the output is 1440 x 1080 but the tv upscales to 1080i. I have a bigger TV and can do same but can also switch to dot by dot and that shows the complete picture. I don't have sky for obivous reasons so cant compare but I believe sky use 1080! so there might be a slightly bigger picture.

NB TV's do overscan as well and that can push a bit of the picture off the screen.

In the end we are all pleased that pic quality is 100 times better than SD and I can see the ball in hurling. Now that DOG is another matter as it ruins the old movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

TG 4's DOG changing sizes and moving around all the time is very annoying. It used to stay put and was tucked in the corner and then it was unleashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Nice one TG4, go hiontach!

I had been Chromecasting TG4 from their player app whenever I wanted to watch their excellent sports coverage as this workaround gave you HD picture.

Advertisement