Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc

Options
  • 02-12-2022 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Looking to upgrade my Specialized Tarmac Comp (2010) and considering a Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc with tubeless tyres, disc brakes, power meter. 60+ yr old triathlete and doing sportives as well and looking to stick with a road bike rather than invest in a TT Bike at my age, as it seems more versatile and appropriate. In terms of geometry the bikes appear pretty similar, just hoping the Giant may go a bit faster. Any thoughts on the Giant? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Have the current Defy Advanced Pro rather than the TCR. Bike has been fine but be aware of the following:

1) The Giant carbon wheelsets are for hookless tyres, which limits your choice as not all tubeless tyres are hookless compatible.

2) The press-fit bottom bracket will creak.

3) The seatpost is a proprietary Giant aero design - not sure if there are aftermarket posts available if you wish to replace.

4) Wasn't particularly happy with the paint finish on mine - quite a large chip fell off the rear dropouts, and the gloss coat seems fragile.

It's a fairly racy set-up. The reach is long at 402mm. I'm 20 years your junior and I'd probably be wary of my back on that set-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

The point Mefisto made above re the hookless wheels was a big factor for me deciding against a Giant. Not only can you not use Clincher tyres but you're also limited to only the tubeless tyres which Giant specifically approve for the wheels.

Its a pity there isn't an option for the pro 1 with cheaper wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

There's a list somewhere online of tyres suitable for use with Giant's wheels.

Buy the TCR.

Smiles per mile guaranteed.

They're epic.

In the past two years we've sold literally vanloads of TCRs and EVERY buyer has come back raving about them.

If you're worried about your back, get a professional bike fit done and adjust saddle, stem etc to properly fit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭this.lad

I have the rim brake version from 2020. Love it. As 8valve said you can set it up to be comfortable.

You pedal, it moves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Also an owner (exact same model but from 2020) and also a big fan. I'm not familiar with how many people in triathlons use road bikes but assuming you won't be at a major disadvantage Vs a TT type bike, I would say go for it

Advertisement