Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimplex Quantum storage heaters

Options
  • 02-12-2022 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All

Anyone here have Dimplex Quantum storage heaters? I'm having an ongoing problem with loud rapid clicking sound when they are running. Noise is driving me nuts. Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Could be a known issue maybe ask supplier or email dimplex

Out of curiosity how are the quantum heaters for retaining heat during the day , I'm interested to know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lkckd

Hi kirk, already had a Dimplex engineer out twice, he fixed problem on both occasions but it's happening again. So contacted Dimplex again and was told there is no fault,so they are not sending another engineer. Obviously there's a fault, why send an engineer out in the first place 😳

As for retaining heat, these ones don't work like the older type of storage heaters. The whole unit will be warm in the morning after overnight charge, then a fan will blow out warm air during your set on/off times. Great for having heat when you really want it 👍

Ya I know they have a fan

But do they keep the heat until the evening

They'll hold as much heat as you have programed them to store. Then the heat will only be released when you put them on, so if you put them on in the evening, they will release heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kildarejohn

OP said "I'm having an ongoing problem with loud rapid clicking sound when they are running." - when you say running, do you mean when the fan is running? If so, then its probably a mechanical problem with vibration due to loose screws or the rotating fan rubbing against casing - all types of fan heater can make noises due to such issues - nothing for it only to take apart and find the part that's loose or rubbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I have these too the last few years.

@lkckd mine make the odd noise too, bit it soof a rumble and the odd click. I just put it down to expansion noises. Unless very bad I'd say leave it.

@kirk. My old heaters, a well known brand of heaters, which I can't remember now! were pretty useless by the time I got home from work. The Quantum is much better in this regard. I have them on from 6.30 to 10.30 and they still keep their heat. There is of course some leakage during the day when they're off. Never had them on all day or even most of can't say how they perform. As I said I have them about 6 years now so dont really recall the old vs new leccy bill. If you haave any other questions I'll try my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭John.G

Read this from one of their publicationsin 2016

Dynamic storage capacity - automatically adjusts to user needs

Designed to retain over 50% of heat 24 hours after the initial charge

Infinitely controllable electronic heat output to precisely match user lifestyle

Hi @kildarejohn

Yep, it's when the fan is running and then after, I think it's coming from the bottom grill ( as I pushed at it one day when the rapid clicking was seriously annoying me 😁) it stopped, so I'm thinking it is a loose part.

Thanks for your input 👍

Hi @MrCostington

I don't think this noise is expansion noise ( that doesn't bother me )

Thanks for your input 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 17 grape3012

Hi @MrCostington we're thinking of replacing our existing very old storage heater with a quantum but nearly everyone is telling us to just put a direct electric panel heater in like Farho or ATC sunray. Would you recommend the Quantum? It's a good bit pricier but I feel storage heating works well for our apartment and we use the overnight rate for our water anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Hi, it's really hard to advise you as your rooms may be bigger/smaller than mine and better/worse insulated so I can only say my experiences. Just a bit of back story first. As I said I originally had storage heaters from a well know brand. which I still cant remember :) They were useless by the time I got home from work. So, one day in work an old panel heater was being thrown out and I took it home and used it in the living room and was happy with that. I think I still used the smaller heater in the kitchen, but the living room storage was never used again.

Then one day I got a call from my supplier, SSE, asking if I would take part in a trial and the only time in my life I said yes to a sales call. I got two Quantums installed for €500, this was Sept 2017 (I just checked my emails).

At first I had huge problems with them, they never charged and other issues. Being in a trial, they where internet connected for I think 6 months sending info back to SSE or Dimplex. In the end a firmware update fixed them.

Now they work fine, I generally set them to 22 Deg C. I'm not going to kid you and say I wear a t shirt in January, they are not a patch on oil/gas central heating, but I guess that's not an option for you, like me.

Panel heaters have the advantage of being on demand whereas you have to plan ahead with the storage heaters and sometimes you can waste a day, for example I'm staying with my mother tonight so last night's charge is wasted as I forgot to turn them off last night. Really depends on your schedule re being home vs work and other "going out"

I looked up my kwh usage for you for jan/feb (well actually about 7 jan to 7 mar)

2016 / Day 392 / Night 620

2017 / Day 305 / Night 664

2018 / Day 231 / Night 981

2019 / Day 223 / Night 992

'16 /'17 was using the panel heater and '18 /'19 the Quantum

Water heating at night rate applies all years. Electric cooker of course and it gets used every day (no microwave or takeouts for me)

I can never understand the logic of that

If you're inputting at the cheaper rate and can output much later in the day surely the quantum is usually better

Now maybe if you're home is passive and requires very little heat I dunno maybe the farho

Other thing is the off peak rates have disimproved with the smart metering so that's a minus for storage heating now

• Registered Users Posts: 17 grape3012

@MrCostington thanks that is really useful and gas or oil are not options for us at present!

I am hoping to get the WiFi enabled model to allow us greater flexibility with it and avoid as you say situations where we are using it unnecessarily. Fingers crossed it is the right choice

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Very keen to do similar with WiFi controlled storage heater for an external office/converted garage where only option is electric heating.

want to be able to store and use during the days I’m there, but to be able to manage the schedule over WiFi.

I had a standard electric wall mounted heater perviously which broke down, so thinking of going for a storage model to replace it with that is WiFi enabled.

will that work and how did it go for you, did you find a good WiFi enabled option where you can tell it to stopper on certain nights not on others?

Advertisement