Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gap on stem clamp at handlebar?

Options
  • 02-12-2022 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Evening,

I hope you are all well.

I have a quick question....

I attached a stem to a handlebar...

As I tighten the X4 bolts.. there is still a gap between the clamp & the handlebar..

Is this safe?

Would I be better getting a stem clamp that wraps around the handlebar without gaps?

Thank you,

A

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

That's fine, as long as it's tightened to the right torque you're grand. Don't do them up too tight, bar snap 0 fun.

Tighten each one a bit at a time, rather than one all the way in, then the next one and so on iykwim. So there's even tension across them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Hi, thank you for the reply.

That's great.. I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy another stem..

I will be careful with the torque on each bolt!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

It's a good idea to torque them up diagonally.

Also, before final torque, nip each one up so that the gap at the top is the same as the gap on the bottom

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as above - in a sense, you don't want the gap to close up because then you're not guaranteed that the clamp will be bearing down on the bar itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Thank you...

I remember someone advising me to tighten diagonally on the bolts..cheers for the reminder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement