Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locks & security options

Options
  • 03-12-2022 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭

Hello -

I know this gets posted from time to time - but I just wanted to check what is the latest and greatest. A friend had a few bikes stolen from his garage so I'm looking at increasing my security a bit.

I'm looking for two locks (one U lock, one chain) for my new cargo bike (weight not a huge issue as it is electric). What would people go for?

Then I'm looking for options to secure the bike in my garage - it has exposed brick walls and a concrete floor so whatever could easily be attached to those. All suggestions welcomed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Any time I’ve to leave the bike in a somewhat sketchy situation, use a Kryptonite New York U lock and then one of the 10mm link Evo chains, think the two of them cost me about 130 quid from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Then I'm looking for options to secure the bike in my garage - it has exposed brick walls and a concrete floor so whatever could easily be attached to those. All suggestions welcomed?

Brick or block? (Many people incorrectly refer to concrete blocks as 'bricks').

The other option, if you do not wish to install anchor points, is to secure the bike to a ladder or gas cylinder or some other thing that makes it very difficult for a thief to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks - it actually has both, blocks on one side, bricks on the other. Would either be better for drilling into? Looking at where my bikes currently fit, ideally I'd have one mount attached to the blocks, another to the concrete floor. My DIY skills are very limited so the father in law will hopefully do it over the Christmas holidays.

Good idea on the ladder or gas cylinder. At the moment I only really have pipes or shelves as an option - if a bike thief gets in there I wouldn't assume they will be considerate enough to not break through my pipes.

I'm looking at getting two Hiplok Ankr wall or floor mounting points, and a Hiplok Airlok (more as a display for one bike with a bit of security). Trying to secure a cargo bike then my winter, summer and gravel bikes so tight on space.

I will go for the Kryptonite New York Ulock and a Kryptonite Evolution chain I think

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

hiplok D1000 , anti angle grinder , takes about 20 mins to get through the lock with an angle grinder . pricey but for peace of mind worth it for many people i’d say .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Will the thief not just cut whatever the lock is attached to ?

• Advertisement

I did look at that but aside from it being 279EUR - the reason I didn't go for it was that it is on the small side (for a cargo bike). I know that this has its advantages, but I'd just worry that you would never be able to find an object to lock the bike to. For the same money you can get the highest rated Kryptonite New York chain lock & U-lock combined

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd prefer to be drilling into blocks (if they are solid blocks). Bricks can crack/crumble in my experience especially with larger holes.

I wouldn't be locking anything to pipes or you could end up with a much bigger headache.

Wall/floor anchors should be relatively easy to install using expanding bolts - https://www.screwfix.ie/p/easyfix-shield-anchors-m8-x-70mm-5-pack/9650G?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqcns6Onf-wIVB-rtCh1lywh5EAQYASABEgLdyfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds . (Ideally floor anchors should be fitted when the floor is being concreted).

Another option if you do not wish to touch the walls/floors is to get a bag of mixed gravel/cement from a DIY shop. Put it in a bucket, add water, mix, insert some sort of protruding steel loop, smooth off surface and allow to dry out fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

i've a kryptonite new york u lock . yes they’re very good but butter to a grinder . my bikes work a grand new (cube travel pro, gates belt drive, love it) and it’s not out much and ebikes are already very popular here and also not that much crime compared to Ireland so I prob don’t need to move on an upgrade. If I was in ireland and leaving my bike out every day , a decent bike, i’d be getting a hiplok , worth it for better peace of mind . battery operated grinders go through locks in seconds. and yes, you gotta be careful as to what your attatching your lock to , they’ll cut the weakest point and i agree the hiplok D100 isn’t the biggest and might be limiting. I basically wanted people to be aware there’s locks coming on the market that are very good against angle grinders. i’m sure a few others will have offerings on the market in the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Agree with you - hopefully there will be many more locks following a similar design and bringing the price down. Battery powered angle grinders are a huge reason not to use a nice bike for riding around town. I actually try to always own a bike that I wouldn't mind being stolen (currently it is a very cheap second hand Rad Power ebike that just about does the job)

But for my new cargo bike I want to have the possibility to lock it when I need to - so I've gone for the Kryptonite New York (18mm motorbike version) and a 14mm chain. And even then it will be insured

• Advertisement
Advertisement