Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on first rifle wanted

Options
  • 04-12-2022 4:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello again good people of boards.

I'm in the market for my first rifle. I have an 12G O/U for clays for a couple years and want to invest in a rifle. I'm from a farm with a lot of land and plenty bog also (where I can shoot clays safely and not annoy any neighbors etc..)

I want to get a rifle not but not sure what to get with my budget. I want a rifle, half-decent scope, and moderator for approx €1k so I know it's probably second hand I'm looking at. I don't want a .22. I don't lack experience I know its my first but I've shot lots of them over the years and to me they just feel the same as an airsoft gun so I want something with a good bit more power.. I want to get it for foxes and rabbits etc, so will be under the 'Vermin control' Category for the license.

Can you suggest models/calibres for me and if you know of any good marketplaces for used rifles in very good condition. I did go to my local gunshop in the south west and they weren't very helpful this time. Just tried to sell me a CZ .22 and I wasn't interested.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jamescfc

Also, has to be Bolt Action not Semi Auto

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭john_aero

for rabits a .22 or .17hmr is great.

however they are not ideal for foxes, however .17 hmr is good for a fox if take it a sensible range

.223 is a good fox rifle however its a very large rought i feel for vermin.

i liek to eat what i shoot so a .17hmr is ideal plus its cheap to shoot.

bar a .22 / .17hmr or .223 most will cost lot more in ammo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭john_aero

i have a .17hmr and a .22 semi auto

semi auto is cracking vermin rifle plus just good fun for plinking targets

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

There you go.Maybe not the best gun in the world but get a mod for a couple of hundred and you've a foxing gun brand new for under a grand.Run it for a few years and it will probably do everything you want,then like everyone you'll probably go up in calibre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'd have to go 223.

Has the hmr beat in all aspects not to mention other rimfires such as 22wmr, and even other centerfire like the 22 hornet. Wind bucking, flat shooting, range, effectiveness with the 223 are all superior and actually it's not much more expensive to run than the others, perhaps cheaper than some.

There is the point about damage to your quarry as said above but if you're not eating what you shoot or focus on shot placement then it shouldn't be too big a concern.

There is also the buying price. For your budget you'd be hard pressed to to find a hmr that is so much cheaper than a 223 to buy and that includes scope, mod, rings, etc.

The final point I'd make is the 223 can do everything it does and the hmr does, but the hmr can only do what it does.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Jamescfc

Thanks lads, seems like .223 is the way to go alright. I’m oriole more questions for you that Axis SP 223 that @Asus1 sent above, looks great but doesn’t look like the barrel is threaded on it for a mod? And if I buy a mod separately is it easy to get on the license?

also, was wondering how many rounds can you keep for a .223? My closest gun shop at home is almost an hour away so don’t want to have to be travelling for them all the time. Or is it easy to get them online once you register your license with a shop?

Thanks for the help

Ring the shop and ask if it's threaded if not I'm sure they will have it done for you once a deposit is put down.Ive never been refused a mod for any of my rifles but some on here have so that's really up to your local fo and you to sort out.

Ammo wise nearly every dealer will send you out ammo once you send a picture of the front and back of your licence to them.I think I've 200 rounds on my licence and I have it just for hunting so I suppose I could of looked for more but in reality 200 is plenty at any one time for me.

Also I bet if you put a wanted add in the for sale section here you'll get yourself kitted out for probably less than you think.As you're not looking to trade in a firearm and have cash some really good looking and excellent value rifles,scopes and mods or full kits come up for sale all the time.

Stick an add up and I bet you'll get sorted really quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭slipperyox

17 hornet?

If your shooting in a area with 1 off houses, a 20g v a 223 55g has better splash safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

223 is probably the best choice for foxes. But too much imo for rabbits unless you are happy to turn them inside out and have no plans to put any in a pot.

17hmr is a Google choice for rabbits. But underpowered as a dedicated fixing rifle.

Depends on what you which is your priority. But if you really want to a rifle to do both well. You could look at a lighter powered .22 - like a 22 Hornet. Or even a .17 Hornet, which is a CF halfway between a 17HMR and .223 in power.

• Advertisement
Advertisement