Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

0 upload speed

Options
  • 04-12-2022 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

We switched from Vodafone to eir on Thursday because the signal was supposed to be better. We're in a poor signal area so have one of those 4G boxes. Since switching over we have great download speed but 0 upload, so the internet's a bit glitchy.

Facebook won't load on my phone but other websites will. My husband can't use Google or discord but Facebook is fine. We can't cast anything to the TV anymore. The laptop is working fine though.

We went back to the eir shop with the box and were told it's our phones. Searching online keeps mentioning loose cables. We've checked everything's properly plugged in and have switched it on and off multiple times. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

...so have one of those 4G boxes.

Some extra detail could help to determine the cause

1.Device make/model ?

2.Speed on laptop on WiFi?, on Ethernet cable ?

3.Phone(s) make/model?

4.Did you try RESTART your phone? Did you try to RESET NETWORK settings on the phone(this will clear all stored WiFi connections)?

5.Do you have same problem on different WiFi network(at work, neighbors/friends, Tether from other phone)?

6.Is TV connected to same network as phones since change? As its smart TV - speed test on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

The previous router/4g box was Huawei, this one from eir just has 4g+ on it. Both our phones are android. Both connected to the new signal, both showing high download speed, 0 upload. Both of us have rebooted our phones to no avail. They are connected and showing a strong signal but we don't have full functionality, presumably because the upload speed is non existent.

I haven't checked the speed on the laptop but I had no issues loading any websites or streaming on the new connection.

The chrome cast has been connected to the new internet device but when trying to cast from either phone nothing happens. I haven't done a speed test on the TV, not really sure how I would to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Smart TV has browser - use any of tools as you would on PC (nperf.com e.g)

Eir might give out different devices by the plan - should be on the label

Running on laptop speed test (keep consistent, nperf.com e.g):

on WiFi - potentially eliminate/prove connectivity to Eir (WiFi, router, signal) problem

on Ethernet cable - potentially eliminate/prove connectivity to Eir (router/signal) problem.

If cable connected laptop does not replicate issue - likely to be WiFi/phone problem - reset network settings on the phone, "forget network"/rejoin network, /reset router

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

I was about to try some of the actions you suggested yesterday and found the issue has resolved itself on both our phones without doing anything further. *shrug*

Advertisement