Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray Foam Insulation - Attic

Options
  • 04-12-2022 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi there

We have just converted our attic and spray foam insulation was used. I have to confess I wasn’t paying to much attention and just let the contractor get on with it. Once it was complete I got curious looking at the spray foam and started reading about it.

It seems in the UK spray foam is a no go as banks will not lend on houses that have it. Essentially it makes it impossible to inspect roof timbers so a surveyor or engineer can’t give an opinion on the condition of the roof.

I’m not sure about the position in Ireland but would not expect it to be much different ?

Also there was a legal case this week whereby many millions were awarded to a family who suffered respiratory disease owing to the toxic nature of the foam.

I’m now really worried the spray foam should not have been used and it is going to affect our ability to sell the house in the future or get any kind of equity release.

I wonder if anyone in the industry can comment as it seems we may be looking at massive problem in Ireland coming down the tracks just like the UK?

Advertisement