Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion - Winter 2022/23

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

14:00 07/01/23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

7 different faults on the esb map across Galway and Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just had a blast of thunder and lightning outside Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Yellow Alert issued. Valid immediately

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big flash and bang in the house a few minutes ago.

EDIT: additional content.

Short sharp nasty little storm went through here, I see outages nearby and a CG not far from me probably related to the phone line being blown out. Saw a fire engine with its light on passing by a short time ago, maybe related to the lightning?

Lightning: Cloud to cloud, Power: 80kA (Angry rourer), Date: 01/07/2023, Time: 02:21:58pm

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A lot of outages as the storms move into Cork and Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,958 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I remember those from my IT days and the modems getting blown in computers.

Thunder and lightning just appeared and disappeared in waterford before I could get anything set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

East Galway got some sparks earlier around Tuam, Kilkerrin and Mountbellew areas. Heard some good deep rumbles of thunder too!

Thunder and lightning at the moment

Looks like something brewing in that squall line developing over cork, kerry, clare and galway.

• Advertisement

F*ck! Power went twice and some big bangs. Just have camer pointed out the window and it picked up 2 strikes at the back of the houses on the other side

1st one took out the power.

Recon this one was at Killure about 3.5km away.

Because the rain was come from the south I couldn't take shelter under the porch to get some picture of the more overhead stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 anismi

Biggest flash and bang I’ve seen or heard for years in oranmore Galway just now, and we’ve had some epic shows in the last few months….I gasped in my sleep!!!! Had the whole house up in second’s wondering what just happened 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭dmc17

Lifted me out of the bed as well. Sounded like a shotgun going off 😳

Thunder and lightning during the night here near Tralee and opened the front door just passed 08.00 to be met with wild gusty rain and hail shower and a big flash of lightning from the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Thunder rumbling north of Limerick City in the past hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thunderstorms reported at Shannon Airport

EINN 111000Z 26020G45KT 5000 SHRA FEW010 BKN018CB 07/05 Q1001 RETS TEMPO 3000

EINN 110930Z 26026G38KT 5000 -TSRAGS SCT010 BKN018CB 05/04 Q1002 TEMPO 3000

EINN 110900Z 23020KT 9000 -TSRA FEW010 BKN018CB 07/05 Q1001

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I ran a TV / VCR repair business when in my 20's. A storm usually meant a busy bench, usually with very tricky repairs needed. A bad strike could easily write off a set.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Same got woke up by it and it was loud, also in Oranmore, some of my mates in the city heard it too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tellyium

All of Oranmore and surroundings woke at exactly the same time this morning 😂. I hadn’t heard thunder like it in 25 years (funnily enough, the one I remember was also a single flash and bang that shook the house during a winter storm).

• Advertisement

Home destroyed by lightning in Kerry late last Saturday night /early Sunday morning. Also heard of lots of houses having similar damage to phone lines and sockets as I did in nearby villages here near Tralee last Saturday afternoon . Had an active storm go over here today around 10.00, a lot of lightning and huge gusts and heaps of hail gathering up the side of the house. power outages reported also.

From today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Burns71

This hole was blown out of the plaster this morning after the lightning in Oranmore. There is a matching hole on the outside render. The metal strap visible is one of the galvanised straps holding down the wall plate. It was the loudest sound I have ever heard, more of an explosion than a bang. Only minor damage to lights and no damage to appliances. It could have been a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Was that hole caused by the lightning or the thunder clap work colleague lives in Maree and he never heard a bang like it he felt the house shook it was so loud

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Burns71

That was caused by the lightning. Just as well it was in the spare room as the plaster came off with some force. You can see scorch marks on the metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

2 recent strikes in west Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

A couple of flashes of lighting and thunder in Achill now.

Advertisement