Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I hope all the pessimistic posts are of the reverse psychology version.

Met Eireann have their advisory out, they ain't putting it out for nothing.

Once this cold sets in which is Tuesday afternoon/evening we'll be in full swing.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,744 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

GFS having a go now too at an easterly component possibly setting in over the weekend. In fact it's a very good run for coldies prolonging cold and with snow risk to varying degrees throughout to at least the following Monday. We could be looking at a progressively colder period of weather for the longer term rather than something short lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Will i start with the Brennans bread jokes now....or will i leave it for a few days?

Either way, ye are getting them.....

I actually was in dunnes earlier....and i got 2 slice pans....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

18z is excellent and results in quite a protracted and wintry cold spell for the country. 12z ECM route is not well supported by its ensembles, but of course that’s where we could end up, however unlikely.

Game on as far as I’m concerned, enjoy whatever cold/snow we get this week and weekend- and beyond that is very uncertain. I bet we end up in an easterly flow sometime the following week with further height rises to our north and lows sliding to our south. GFS hinting at that option this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,744 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

12z ECM route is not well supported by its ensembles

Understatement of the year! It's as far out there in it's own ensemble set as Jupiter is in comparison to Earth's orbit of the sun 😅

ICON eyeing the easterly component too tonight. Promising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

For once it looks like Britain and Ireland will be getting the brunt of the cold and wintry weather this time! Here in Belgium things look chilly for the next week or so, but not exceptionally so and mostly dry. Snowfall looks pretty sparse. We're on the wrong side of that northeasterly flow for the most part.

Would be great to see Ireland getting a nice pasting for a change after missing out so often!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Of course they are, its arse covering in this time of fuel poverty, because such an advisory will release resources to assist those in need. And it will certainly feel cold regardless, but there won't be snow and ice in low lying areas.

There is no need for an event thread for this, its a few days of typical winter temperatures, in winter. Imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note : Larbre34 you need to tone down your remarks both here and in the FI thread. People can have different opinions without the hostility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

I check into the weather forum roughly once a year but without checking I knew who this poster was going to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

There's never an actual need for an event thread, that's what Met E etc are for. This is a discussion that clearly lots of us want to have so having a dedicated thread makes sense. If next week turns out to be meh, no one has lost anything, it's just a bit of fun. I'm very much on the fence re this "event" myself I should say but all in favour of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭feargantae

Prayin' to Jaysus for some sneachta!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭bassy

Roll on may and a summer schorcerî

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I believe it needs a cat scan because it's not feline well.

I'm sorry, I was going for the purfect joke. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just get it all sorted in time for Santa CLAWS...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As soon as I saw the met is advisory.. And it is colder already... Had to break out all my winter blankets last night..

Let it snow! Apart from a few bits I am all stocked for Christmas. Although offshore we get less... Last time we had a real snowfest I was stranded up in the Bluestacks and kind boardsies with 4 wheel drives arrived with supplies ...

We all need some... joy! A snowfest means that.. ... As long as we oldies are safe.. Sheer joy... walking with snowflakes melting on your face... Ahhh BLISS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

ECM, GFS and UKMO are all excellent this morning, as I thought might be the case, the deep low in the Atlantic can’t make any real progress and eventually disrupts south east under the block, reinvigorating the cold flow from our north east. Confidence remains low, but if the models are anywhere close to the solution this morning, this week could just be the tease before next week… ❄️

A step closer towards a sustained and severe spell. FI is about +120hrs at the moment due to the very large changes we are seeing on some runs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Today or tomorrow there will also be probably a briefing with the councils, Met Éireann & government officials in relation to the possible risks ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

I’m stocking up today on food supplies. Have my fire logs and fuel. Just incase 😄

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Stop the bickering! Some posts deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The ECM run looks fairly dry overall, but with the warm waters and a northerly features can pop up. This is assuming the ECM has this right. The wild swings in its output would not give you confidence that it has. Indeed discussion in America of the Models is that the issues with the lows might not be resolved yet, but given the cold air entrenched over us the latest runs are what you would expect to see happen, but that does not mean it will be this way in the end. So I think how cold it will be and for how long it will stay is still to be determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

On Thursday morning I'm diving out the upstairs window of my house and if there's no sneachta to break my fall I'm blaming Met Eireann.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I see the hype train has left the station early this winter season for a change, strap in everyone and enjoy the rollercoaster.

There's nothing like a weather event or non-event to bring the boards community together. Thank you to everyone with weather knowledge who have contributed so far, ye guys make this forum as amazing as it is.

While no doubt many of us will be left feeling disappointed, the build up is the best craic/part of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭US3

Mets forecast for Wednesday night is rain and on Thursday it's scattered showers of hail sleet and snow .

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Should an awareness campaign be run from Government re colder temps, it might be no harm for the public to check in on their elderly neighbours, make sure all have heat and supplies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭US3

I think everyone is aware it could possibly be -2 during winter nights 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

The elderly have been around the longest. I'm sure they've figured out the weather at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Ok, I see many a response to this question, it was just a question thanks for the responses!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement